Most laggy mods?

Kyll.Ing.

Jul 29, 2019
Am I right in assuming that XYCraft is a big offender here? It seems like that stupid amount of Quartz Crystals will always be loaded in memory (entering unloaded chunks show them, as well as caves, mineshafts and the like), their graphics are way too fancy and they have an un-disable-able particle effect. I wonder if deleting the mod from my Ultimate pack will damage my world somehow...

Tzukasa

Jul 29, 2019
Recently I took a break from Minecraft and in the meantime my hard drive was corrupted (long story involving Ubuntu, but anyway).
When I got it repaired, the new OS was 32 bit instead of the old 64 bit one. As a result my maximum RAM for Minecraft is 1GB.
So here's the question. What Minecraft mods will cause the most lag? I guessed Ars Magica 2 would so I removed that, but do you have any other suggestions?
Thanks!

You're gonna have a hardtime running just about Any of the decent mods with 32bit... Really most games these days have a hard time running with 32bit I mean 3.5gigs just doesn't cut it in this day and age. Just go get a copy of windows7 >.<

Reactions: SatanicSanta

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Am I right in assuming that XYCraft is a big offender here? It seems like that stupid amount of Quartz Crystals will always be loaded in memory (entering unloaded chunks show them, as well as caves, mineshafts and the like), their graphics are way too fancy and they have an un-disable-able particle effect. I wonder if deleting the mod from my Ultimate pack will damage my world somehow...
Yes, yes it will. Though honestly, if you have bad performance, I'd move up to 1.6.4 modpacks. My FPS boosted from average of 20 (using a custom pack) to average of 60 (in Magic World 2). And in Vanilla my fps boosted from about 30fps average to about 100fps, and my computer is not that great. Also drag-crafting is amazing.

FearanCath

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for all the tips guys, great help! After removing MFR in particular and replacing Biomes O' Plenty with EBXL my average FPS went up to around 30, well over playable!

Should I put up my mod list on pastebin or something so people can see what I've got installed?

One thing I saw here was that AM2 doesn't cause much lag so I added it back into the mods folder, but there doesn't seem to be a way to regenerate ores and such. Is there any way around this other than just mining further away?

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for all the tips guys, great help! After removing MFR in particular and replacing Biomes O' Plenty with EBXL my average FPS went up to around 30, well over playable!

Should I put up my mod list on pastebin or something so people can see what I've got installed?

One thing I saw here was that AM2 doesn't cause much lag so I added it back into the mods folder, but there doesn't seem to be a way to regenerate ores and such. Is there any way around this other than just mining further away?
Check the configs. There might be a retrogen option of AM2.

FearanCath

Jul 29, 2019
I checked before, but somehow I had overlooked the retro-gen option. Checked it and started Minecraft, immediate crash on entering world. :(
Also, Opis, Evoc and such seemed to cause more lag for me, so I kept my old system.
Fast and no crashes! Let me unleash the inner child and say YIPPEE!

gardenapple

Mod Developer
Jan 14, 2014
Opis is useful to know which mod makes the game laggy but, ironically, mapwriter itself is extremely laggy. Try using Voxelmap instead

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Opis is useful to know which mod makes the game laggy but, ironically, mapwriter itself is extremely laggy. Try using Voxelmap instead
Not once have I heard about Mapwriter being laggy; I have heard numerous times about Voxelmap being laggy.

Edit: If you really are having lag problems, I recommend setting the priority of Minecraft or javaw higher. I did this last night before I went to sleep and tested it, and I think I was getting 60+ fps. On Windows you can do this through the task manager, and on OSX you can do this by running sudo renice -15 PID. Replace PID with the Process ID of Minecraft or javaw, you can find this in Activity Monitor. -20 is the highest priority possible, so you might want to set it to that depending on the amount of lag.

You could also turn the size of the minimap down, and disable it when not using it (not from the pack, just turn it's visibility off). Same goes for NEI. Personally, I don't like playing with NEI open, not because of lag (well kind of because of lag), but because I like seeing what's going on around me, and seeing all the items on the side distracts me.

Last edited:

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Mapwriter is very noticable to be laggy on 32 bit systems. Wouldn't recommend Opis/Mapwriter on a 32 bit system if you have a large mod pack.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Mapwriter is very noticable to be laggy on 32 bit systems. Wouldn't recommend Opis/Mapwriter on a 32 bit system if you have a large mod pack.
I wouldn't recommend playing any large modpack on a 32 bit system. They just can't handle it, and this is known.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Not once have I heard about Mapwriter being laggy; I have heard numerous times about Voxelmap being laggy.

Edit: If you really are having lag problems, I recommend setting the priority of Minecraft or javaw higher. I did this last night before I went to sleep and tested it, and I think I was getting 60+ fps. On Windows you can do this through the task manager, and on OSX you can do this by running sudo renice -15 PID. Replace PID with the Process ID of Minecraft or javaw, you can find this in Activity Monitor. -20 is the highest priority possible, so you might want to set it to that depending on the amount of lag.

You could also turn the size of the minimap down, and disable it when not using it (not from the pack, just turn it's visibility off). Same goes for NEI. Personally, I don't like playing with NEI open, not because of lag (well kind of because of lag), but because I like seeing what's going on around me, and seeing all the items on the side distracts me.

wasn't there an Opis version a while back that accidentally caused some lag when you'd use that version? I believe it was fixed quite fast though...

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
wasn't there an Opis version a while back that accidentally caused some lag when you'd use that version? I believe it was fixed quite fast though...
I don't know. Usually when a mod has a bug like that they get squashed really fast; like the Secret Rooms world corruption problem. As soon as AbrarSyed found out about the bug it was fixed, it was only around for like 12 hours? But everyone kinda flipped out about it and forgot that it was fixed :p

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I wouldn't recommend playing any large modpack on a 32 bit system. They just can't handle it, and this is known.
True. But they can handle it, just. I was running my custom pack on my old xp PC with a 64x texture pack. Sure, getting 5-20 fps at best and random crashes (GL Error mainly). Was playable, but annoying to play.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
True. But they can handle it, just. I was running my custom pack on my old xp PC with a 64x texture pack. Sure, getting 5-20 fps at best and random crashes (GL Error mainly). Was playable, but annoying to play.
I spend pretty much all of my computing time also lurking in #FTB, and whenever someone mentions 32bit, it also goes along with "I can't play".

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
remove mariculture.
it brings my server to its knees.
Is this a problem with ATG, because from the Mariculture forum post "For those with lag issues with ATG, set the following in Mariculture's worldgen.cfg to false: Deep Oceans, Remove Mineshafts in Oceans, Water Filled Ravines in Oceans"

Petrus

Jul 29, 2019
I just started using Opis, and wow, what a difference. I couldn't understand why on my beast of a machine, I wasn't reaching a consistent 60 FPS. A couple of audits and Hopper removals later, and my framerate is as smooth as the average infant's rear end.

According to my testing so far, when it comes to lag, vanilla Hoppers are Public Enemy No. 1. It's sad, because I know how much we all love them, in terms of their utility. I'm actually thinking of re-enabling the recipe for BC's Hoppers, just to see if they are more efficient.

Other culprits; Capacitor Banks and Conduit Bundles from Ender IO. I really don't want to get on CrazyPants' case, here; it's a beautiful mod, which adds some awesome things to the game, but unfortunately it adds a side helping of lag along with it. I imagine that CP would possibly respond by saying that if you want to cross a proverbial bridge, you have to pay a toll in terms of ram/CPU cycles. My compromise is to charge up Ender IO's capacitors, and then put them into storage when they are not needed for actual use. For cabling, Mekanism's, or BC's seem good.

OpenBlocks tanks cause spikes, as well; which was a little surprising initially, but makes sense on reflection. Fluid dynamics of any kind are notoriously bad in Minecraft; I've seen laptops scream for mercy when there was even a small amount of water flowing around. DartCraft's Force Infuser seems to issue a few pings when idle, as well; as does MFR's Mob Grinder.

I haven't got into either ThaumCraft or AM yet, but I'm expecting magic mods to be lagalicious in general, due to all those flashy particle effects.

SlightlyVisible

Jul 29, 2019
I just started using Opis, and wow, what a difference. I couldn't understand why on my beast of a machine, I wasn't reaching a consistent 60 FPS. A couple of audits and Hopper removals later, and my framerate is as smooth as the average infant's rear end.

According to my testing so far, when it comes to lag, vanilla Hoppers are Public Enemy No. 1. It's sad, because I know how much we all love them, in terms of their utility. I'm actually thinking of re-enabling the recipe for BC's Hoppers, just to see if they are more efficient.

It's funny how the modding community likes to poke each other over lag when minecraft itself is riddled with inefficiencies. Its like watching chefs argue over who designs the cleanest meal on top of a mud pie :p

Reactions: SatanicSanta

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
It's funny how the modding community likes to poke each other over lag when minecraft itself is riddled with inefficiencies. Its like watching chefs argue over who designs the cleanest meal on top of a mud pie :p
To be fair, even though I only get 30-40fps in Monster (SMP, after I started running it with j7u45 and making it's process a higher priority, and nearly destroying my computer in the process), but I get like 80-120fps in vanilla 1.6.4 (which is higher than my refresh rate)
I haven't got into either ThaumCraft or AM yet, but I'm expecting magic mods to be lagalicious in general, due to all those flashy particle effects.
Nope. Ars Magica 2 is not laggy at all. Ars Magica for 1.5 is definitely laggy, but in 1.6 it's not. Even with particles on all. I haven't done much with TC4, but we have some Arcane Levitators in our base and it doesn't lag me at all. Oh, and I have 3 AM2 nexi, one that constantly has particles in it giving the mana regen effect; 0 lag.

Xello101

Jul 29, 2019
Take it from me, a guy who does not have a good computer. You might as well say my computer does not meet the recommended requirements to play Minecraft.
CPU: Intel(R) Pentium D 3.1ghz Dual Core
GPU: Geforce 8600 256mb
RAM: 4g DDR2
OS: Windows XP 32-bit (No, they do not support it anymore)
PSU: Dell Precision 380 standard 250W
***Important: Please note that Windows XP can only recognize 3.5g of RAM.
To play very heavy mod packs on a 32-bit OS, you need to keep disabling them one at a time until you are even able to launch modded Minecraft. I have found that mods with a lot of world generation data tend to cause lag. I hear you all talking about Ars Magica a lot. It does not make too much of a difference for me. What really sets a modpack from smooth game play to total in-game freezes every five seconds is Thaumcraft. Now go ahead and think for a second "Wait... Thaumcraft?! Isn't Ars Magica twice the size?" Yes, yes it is. Think about it in this way: Thaumcraft adds those cool, totem like things, the aura nodes, those floaty totem things, and those floaty totem things that are guarded, and even a couple biomes. When every single chunk is generated, java has to decide whether any one of those things is generated. As a result, the game spikes every 2-5 seconds and my frames go from around 40 to 15 or below when I load more chunks. I have tried changing between Thaumcraft and Ars Magica before, and I would like to crown Ars Magica as the less laggy magic mod.