Most laggy mods?

FearanCath

Jul 29, 2019
Recently I took a break from Minecraft and in the meantime my hard drive was corrupted (long story involving Ubuntu, but anyway).
When I got it repaired, the new OS was 32 bit instead of the old 64 bit one. As a result my maximum RAM for Minecraft is 1GB.
So here's the question. What Minecraft mods will cause the most lag? I guessed Ars Magica 2 would so I removed that, but do you have any other suggestions?
Thanks!

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Well, it's not the mods per se, but the total number of mods in the pack.

The best thing to do is to look at all the mods in whatever pack you are using, and work out if you would really use that mod. You could always split the pack in half, play with one half of the mods for a while, then start again and play with the other half of the mods. Try and complete the same build challenges with totally different mods.

1 week ago I was on a 32 bit system, my Omega dawn pack loads 135 mods. I could just about make a single player world on tiny, default graphics and get about 20 minutes game play out of it. Remove half the mods, and FPS shoots up by 5-10 times or more. If you can transfer the processing to a server, you can play with more mods, although you will still get memory issues.

FearanCath

Jul 29, 2019
Well currently I have 80 mods so maybe I could trim a bit. I'll give it a go and let you know what happened.
EDIT:
Well I removed Natura and the average FPS went up by 5! :)

Last edited:

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Well currently I have 80 mods so maybe I could trim a bit. I'll give it a go and let you know what happened.
EDIT:
Well I removed Natura and the average FPS went up by 5! :)

were you perhaps near those giant redwood trees from Natura? I disabled them myself because honestly... I don't like them

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Ars Magica 2 is no where near as laggy as the 1.5.2 version, in fact, I have 0 dropped frames from it. From what I remember in 1.5, Mekanism had a memory leak (probably fixed now), RotaryCraft, and GregTech. In 1.6 I haven't done much tech stuff, so I'm not sure about that.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Thermal expansion is fairly good for your framerate.

Avoid anything with a load of fancy graphics/animation/entities or items/blocks which "tick" constantly ect
(goodbye AM2, Powersuits, IronChests, Be careful with SoulShards and MFR Farms.)

Theres an admin mod called Opis? Opus? Op-something- it'll highlight individual blocks/chunks that cause lag.

Theres also Optifine- works brilliantly in vanilla, but seems to have mixed results on here. Depends on who answers the thread next.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019

Avoid anything with a load of fancy graphics/animation/entities or items/blocks which "tick" constantly ect
(goodbye AM2, Powersuits, IronChests, Be careful with SoulShards and MFR Farms.)

Theres an admin mod called Opis? Opus? Op-something- it'll highlight individual blocks/chunks that cause lag.

Theres also Optifine- works brilliantly in vanilla, but seems to have mixed results on here. Depends on who answers the thread next.
Yep, Opis.

Also, turning particles down does increase fps with AM2, but honestly not much. The fancy particles don't do much to my crappy macbook. MFR seemed to lag me the most out of your list (Soul Shards isnt laggy, the mobs are), and that was fixed by using several sound mufflers around my farms; the MC sound engine is awful.

Reactions: RedBoss

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
The worse tile entity I've seen is the vanilla hopper. Honestly, try to avoid using those. Our server was lagging a bit, checked Opis, and someones single Hopper was causing as much TPS hit as my entire base consisting of various MFR, TE, Railcraft, Tinkers stuff, Ender Chests and Translocators. I think they replaced it with a TE Itemduct.

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
IronChests causes lag? maybe the crystal chest?
The worse tile entity I've seen is the vanilla hopper. Honestly, try to avoid using those. Our server was lagging a bit, checked Opis, and someones single Hopper was causing as much TPS hit as my entire base consisting of various MFR, TE, Railcraft, Tinkers stuff, Ender Chests and Translocators. I think they replaced it with a TE Itemduct.
Evoc is another mod by ProfMobius which overrides various vanilla things and works like a charm (hopper lag is GREATLY reduced).

Reactions: Golrith

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
IronChests causes lag? maybe the crystal chest?

Evoc is another mod by ProfMobius which overrides various vanilla things and works like a charm (hopper lag is GREATLY reduced).
Sweet, I'm going to check that out. Our server pack also features a lot more spawners then normal, so this will help there too!

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
  • Try and use TE3 over IC2. TE3 is much more server friendly than IC2 and will save you a few frames once you get machines running.
  • If you pump lava from the nether, try using an ender-thermic pump. It'll save you from all the lava rendering normal pumps cause.
  • Use opaque itemducts/fluiducts. Your client won't lag from rendering items. Try and avoid large BC pipe systems.
  • Be weary of how much Thaumcraft you're using. A lot of the special effects it has can do some damage. Large golem systems can also take its toll.
  • In the AE configs (if you use AE), change B:gfxCableAnimation=true and B:gfxDrivesHighDef=true to false.
Bottom line, don't overdo it. Don't make large systems that your PC can't handle. If your system can't handle an extensive line of logistics pipes, use AE. Don't make more than you need to make, and try to go with the system that causes the least amount of lag.

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
I personally have a decent graphics card but the bottleneck for my system is the RAM and processing power so it kinda affects how I play etc.
At the end of the day, greed is always what kills me, the mod number keeps growing and my number of chunckloaders does as well.
One word of advice though is to try to keep away from insane TESRs if possible, they look fantastic (sometimes), but are a heavy render.

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
I know in 1.6 atomic science lagged for no reason of course is was months ago, but just removing the mod gave me a HUGE fps boost

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
If you've got Mekanism don't use bins, they don't work properly and end up dumping your items everywhere. I'm surprised no one has said this; you should install 64bit OS/Java, if you don't just play FTB Lite.

Algester

Jul 29, 2019
filled open blocks tanks... trust me... if your rig isnt powerful enough your better of chaining nukes to destroy your map