Monster vs DW20

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
DW20 seems better but both packs can be a bit of a snooze. DW20 is comparatively emaciated but Monster is way too rich and unfocused.
It's like a single slice baloney sandwhich verses a wedding cake. You kind of don't relish eating either, ones a bit boring, the other has too much.
/stipulatesopinion.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
DW20 has ars magica and the TiCo addon, which Monster doesn't. That's about the extent of the stuff that i'd really want.

What's left, hats? LOL.

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

psp

Jul 29, 2019
DW20 seems better but both packs can be a bit of a snooze. DW20 is comparatively emaciated but Monster is way too rich and unfocused.
It's like a single slice baloney sandwhich verses a wedding cake. You kind of don't relish eating either, ones a bit boring, the other has too much.
/stipulatesopinion.
Perfect simile

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
I would prefer Monster since it contains RotaryCraft, one of my favorite mods. Otherwise I agree that DW20 might be a bit more balanced.

Reactions: Pyure

RealSketch

Jul 29, 2019
Nice spreadsheet. More colour and outlining will help show the information better, just something to add maybe?
I would say FTB Monster would be the best though, due to how many mods it has.
Though Direwolf20 covers all the great mods it misses out with one that are just awesome, such as AM2 and maybe Morph.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
/stipulatesopinion.

Minecraft is a game about creativity, so I like having options. Of course I dont just go round throwing every single mod in existence to my pack like RR, thats just asking for trouble. Besides, I will never know if I like a mod unless I play it and Im not going to make a special modpack with a bunch of crappy mods just to test out how much they suck. Ill add them into my main, one and only pack and give them a go when Im ready. I added Harvestcraft and Hunger overhaul to my lastest world, both of which I was skeptical of. And you know what? Having to eat constantly and manage dozens upon dozens of seed types is no fun at all, (why cant we just plant the crops?!) so I removed them both with no serious damage to my world. Now I know not to use those mods anymore.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
See, I'm not like a lot of you, I have a mindset of "more mods =/= more fun".
How To Have Fun:
1) Take a pack that doesn't suck to you
2) Tear out mods till you're satisfied with it.
3) Agree with everything Pyure says.

This amazing plan worked for me and it can work for you! * Two Thumbs Up *

PS: Horizons with anything with the word "magic" ripped out. Except magical crops for some insane reason.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
How To Have Fun:
1) Take a pack that doesn't suck to you
2) Tear out mods till you're satisfied with it.
3) Agree with everything Pyure says.

This amazing plan worked for me and it can work for you! * Two Thumbs Up *

PS: Horizons with anything with the word "magic" ripped out. Except magical crops for some insane reason.
I don't understand. Why would I rip out the mods that I like?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I don't understand. Why would I rip out the mods that I like?
Don't steal my modpack design, its mine. Design your own.

Presumably ripping all mods with the words "balanced" or "fair" in it.

KIDDING ( seriously dood I in no way think magic mods are relatively imbalanced; I just can't get into em. )

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
If you like keeping up to date, I'd suggest Monster. As I understand it all of the 1.6 packs are frozen for features/included mods, but will continue to patch bugfixes.

DW20 is always churning, new content. If you aim to have a world with some longevity, I'd go with Monster. Our last server was DW20, and it was a pain the pace of updates and changes, so perhaps I am biased.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
No, more mods doesn't necessarily equal more fun, but variety is the spice of life, and more mods gives more choice. Me, I've personally avoided all of the boring mods in favor of RotaryCraft for power. Half the fun of new mod packs is playing with new mods. Otherwise you stagnate into the same choices. Yes, I could have gone straight into IC2 and been invincible in a few hours, but I've done that before, and it makes the game boring.

MrFastZombie

Jul 29, 2019
I believe DW20 also has "Universal Electricity Core".
I just downloaded the pack to check the files, and you seem to be correct. Thanks!
I based these off the lists in their descriptions, but I guess they may be missing some mods.

Nice spreadsheet. More colour and outlining will help show the information better, just something to add maybe?
I added some colors. Right now they just fill tiles that include X with the color of their mod pack, to make it a little easier to see.

Reactions: RealSketch