Monster: Things that should be disabled by default. Your opinions

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Teddy Bear

Jul 29, 2019
i have been playing ALOT of monster. And there are a few things that i find should be disabled by default.

1. Dyed Trees. first of all they ruin the landscape imo. Also those rainbow tree's are being use to power whole bases. the amount of dye they drop is crazy. Changing it all to Vanilla ID dye then putting it in a bio reacator from MFR> bio generartor is enough to power bases,,,lol

2. Geo strata Crystals. Not sure how i feel about the whole mod because i rather enjoy building, and they add alot of blocks, but those potion crystals are a bit too much.

i have a few others but i want to see if others mention them.#

i know i can disable them in single player, but i normally play on servers, most servers use recommended versions. So disabling by default could clean up alot of servers

WayofTime

Jul 29, 2019
Just because you don't like overpowered stuff doesn't mean it should be disabled by default.
However this is a forum in the sense we are allowed to have a discussion about it. He put forward what he thought was OP and what shouldn't be in the modpack by default.

I also agree with the Geostrata crystals - regeneration III is a little high for something that is free.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Just because you don't like overpowered stuff doesn't mean it should be disabled by default.
Title says: "Your opinions". It cant hurt to talk about this and it might actually be of some use to the people who make the pack.

The mods I personally disable are:
Dyetrees: While I perhaps wouldn't mind being able to dye trees for my own decoration purposes, having them scattered across the landscape is really annoying IMO. I constantly have to check if it is a rare species of tree or just another dye tree(YAY a Silverwood tree! Ohh lots of saplings! WTF is this! LAPIS!!?). I find them dropping dyes rather ridiculous as well. So while it being a decent mod and all, its just not for me. I could see how adding this mod to a vanilla world would be nice, but to a heavily modded MC modpack with lots of different trees and lots of ways to exploit dyes.. I would vote disable as default.

Mimicry: As far as I see, all this mod does clutter my interface with ore and allow me to multiply a lot of items to an (IMO) OP extent. I personally don't like that mods go further than the 2x ore returns, so this mod is just a big no for me. So this is more a personal preference to voting disabled by default due to all the other ore processing already available that gives 2-5x returns.

qCraft: I quite like the idea of how this mod seems to visualize parts of a difficult to grasp concept. But after thinking it over very hard I just cant find any way that I could reasonably use this mod in my build. So again it only serves to clutter up my inventories and hog resources. So unless you play on a server and want to use the portal to cross to other servers. Or on a pvp enabled server and what to use the blocks to make traps I don't see the big use for the mod personally.

rewbycraft

Jul 29, 2019
I'm for the geostrata disable, but only because it's a pain to filter all those kinds of stone from my quarry and because my flux-infused pickaxe can't get through it quickly (it goes at wood-pick speeds, it is annoying me).

Reactions: Teddy Bear

Dark0_0firE

Jul 29, 2019
I personally don't like dissabling mods completely. If I find out about some inventive way to generate power from dye trees or something I might make note of it, but I usually don't abuse it. More about self controll I guess. And frankly I prefer to keep dye trees around incase I actually want to dye something for some reason.. like AM2 for instance.

However, I have found a few things that cause me some troubles. Mariculture I feel generates alot of things that I have no interest in. I have no real desire to go deep sea diving so thats out. Meteor Mod, I have tried to lessen the spawn rate and disabling certain biomes, and even using only skyburst... It's still leaves too much of a mess to clean up. The only other problem I have come across is specifically the Rainbow biome in Dye Trees. With so many entities being generated, these areas constantly cause me lag and crashing issues.

Reactions: RedBoss

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
All self version checks. There are still a lot of mods in monster checking their own versions. Its a modpack: Ill update them when monster updates!

Flat bedrock.

Whatever it is that makes mob heads drop without a specific enchant / weapon for that purpose.

Geostrata. The cobble variants don't actually seem to have special properties. All look like dirty variants of the same greenish through brownish texture. And just clog up sorting systems. The crystals looked interesting, but seem in practice to be meh - until one makes a silk touch pickaxe at which point ars magica boss fights can be trivialized by placing "cheap" passive buffs in the area.

Zulef

Jul 29, 2019
I agree with qCraft, I've never been able to find a real use for it.
Flat bedrock in a pack with Rotarycraft in it doesn't make any sense either, (no access to bedrock ingots, a pretty big part of the mod) you either have to go mine the roof of the nether or make a mystcraft world (Don't think the bedrock is flattened here, though not sure.) This to me seems like an oversight in the configs.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Flat bedrock in a pack with Rotarycraft in it doesn't make any sense either, (no access to bedrock ingots, a pretty big part of the mod) you either have to go mine the roof of the nether or make a mystcraft world (Don't think the bedrock is flattened here, though not sure.) This to me seems like an oversight in the configs.
I would think that the best solution might be to go to the Twilight Forest and find a labyrinth. It has lots of bedrock separating the different levels of the labyrinth, and should be quite safe to remove.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
the problem with some mods in Monster is... the idea is good, but the execution in combination with other mods is not.
like dyetrees. it's nice to have trees that can give you dyes, but you can get certain resources from it that can ruin balanced gameplay.
now I do have to say Reika changed it so most of the time, the dyes that drop are dyes from the dyetrees mod, so you shouldn't be able to use those dyes in any other way except as a dye.
but there's some blocks that you can use to change the items into a dictionairy equivalent... so yea...

another one is geostrata... I like the crystals, but all those stone not so much, especially because they clutter your inventory very fast. it'd be nice if you had to silktouch those stones to get them, otherwise dropping normal cobble, and if they were chisel compatible... otherwise I don't really see much use for all those different kinds of stones as in my opinion chisel already gives a whole lot of aesthetics choices.

then there's qcraft... fun mod for eduction, but modpacks.... no, not really.

also Mimicry, an useful mod if you're in a tough situation, but really needs a bunch more of finetuning when combined with other mods... also, being able to craft mimichrite? better not, because of the next mod...

Magical crops. now don't get me wrong, I love the mod, but having other mods that accelerate crop growth, and rotarycraft fan's being able to harvest them.... Magical crops either would require a big nerf to stay in Monster, or otherwise should be disabled, as Magical crops can easily be used to craft large amounts of mimichrite

next up, agriculture... why? I never liked it, plain and simple.
it's nice that you can craft more food and such... but I'm fine with eating carrots all day

then there's powerconverters... loved it in Ultimate, but don't really want it in Monster, as it makes everything a bit too easy in my opinion.
same for Torchlevers, which is similar to secret rooms mod from Ultimate, it's not a bad mod, but I don't see the use of it

lastly, expanded redstone, not a bad mod, but with Project Red and some other mod alternatives...

I also have to say, I'm playing Monster because I like to play modpacks put together by others, instead of playing my own modpack.
I like finding cross-mod exploits, and abusing them. if I'd have put together my own modpack, I'd have nerfed that all out and I'd have made a very boring modpack.
so these mods I mentioned are not bad mods, really they're not, they're just mods that I either see no use for in Monster, or are mods that have quite a bad cross-mod exploits with other mods

vertagen

Jul 29, 2019
Wont say any exploit, but there are a ton of cross-mod exploits in monster, which is really disapointing when on multiplayer and for 1 day you can reach endgame for some mods.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
However this is a forum in the sense we are allowed to have a discussion about it. He put forward what he thought was OP and what shouldn't be in the modpack by default.

I also agree with the Geostrata crystals - regeneration III is a little high for something that is free.
It's not exactly free, you do need to get the Glowstone block, the obsidian, and whatever else is required for it.

But yeah, it's still really cheap :p

I do like them in the Nether, though. They make it a lot more dangerous, constantly getting poisoned and such

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
i have been playing ALOT of monster. And there are a few things that i find should be disabled by default.

1. Dyed Trees. first of all they ruin the landscape imo. Also those rainbow tree's are being use to power whole bases. the amount of dye they drop is crazy. Changing it all to Vanilla ID dye then putting it in a bio reacator from MFR> bio generartor is enough to power bases,,,lol

there's a config option that will restrict the dyed trees to their own biome. limit that supply.

yeah, people will just replant them back at base. but smart people will clear cut the rainbow forests, or burn them.

whd23

Jul 29, 2019

Depends on the thickness of the bedrock layer that you've got configured. Rotate the bedrock grinder machine to face down and grind away.

Reactions: PierceSG

EyeDeck

Apr 16, 2013
I agree with qCraft, I've never been able to find a real use for it.
It may be flat, but it's still 4 blocks thick.

WayofTime

Jul 29, 2019
It's not exactly free, you do need to get the Glowstone block, the obsidian, and whatever else is required for it.

But yeah, it's still really cheap :p

I do like them in the Nether, though. They make it a lot more dangerous, constantly getting poisoned and such
The main thing I don't like about it, and I suppose it can be considered a cross-mod interaction, is that there is no running cost what-so-ever. By free Regen III, I mean that there is no running cost. If there was, say, a mod that relies on the speed of regeneration and the amount of damage that the player incurs, would you say that such a thing that cost nothing to run would be a little OP? Now, I'm ok with Regen I, since that is obtained for free by beacons, and I'm fine with any regen that COSTS something (ghast tears, etc), but it jut kind of seems stale to have something that *no other mod has for no cost at all.

*My mod adds regen III and even regen IV, but there is a running cost that must be used and it basically extends the vanilla system.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
If there was, say, a mod that relies on the speed of regeneration and the amount of damage that the player incurs
Say, I think I know a mod like that ;)

GasCraft, it's really annoying.
What's annoying about Gascraft? It adds no worldgen (edit: oops it does. I forgot about that half of the mod), just a few innocuous socket modules that you wouldn't even know were there unless you were looking specifically for them (all the Engineer's toolbox modules look the same inside NEI). Its about as inoffensive a mod gets.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

Teddy Bear

Jul 29, 2019
The main thing I don't like about it, and I suppose it can be considered a cross-mod interaction, is that there is no running cost what-so-ever. By free Regen III, I mean that there is no running cost. If there was, say, a mod that relies on the speed of regeneration and the amount of damage that the player incurs, would you say that such a thing that cost nothing to run would be a little OP? Now, I'm ok with Regen I, since that is obtained for free by beacons, and I'm fine with any regen that COSTS something (ghast tears, etc), but it jut kind of seems stale to have something that *no other mod has for no cost at all.

*My mod adds regen III and even regen IV, but there is a running cost that must be used and it basically extends the vanilla system.
i agree with you 100%

Another item that has this effect on another mod is the Diamond Dolly from JABBA, it moves a spawner 5 time vs the porta spawner from MFR that is a single use and uses a nether star.

I like having alot of mods and i know its hard to balance it but we as a community can point out these fewe over looked thing and maybe have them changed

Status
Not open for further replies.