Mods definitions and usefulness

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013
What makes a mod a tech mod? What makes a tech mod "fully fledged"? Is it their power system? The textures? Could a magic mod be made with RF as its power system?
The mods that /were/ being questioned are Engineers Toolbox, Ender IO, and Railcraft
*continue discussion from the what's new in modded minecraft thread*

Last edited:

dwappo

Jul 29, 2019
We can say the same with magic mods but we'll get to that later.

I think, well lets take IC2 for example It has :

• A power system
  • Its own machines to do "stuff" like ore doubling, generating power, etc.
  • It's own tools and such
  • Most importantly, it can stand alone by itself in a single/multiplayer world.
I think (that list may not be that complete) those are the main basics that a "full fledged" tech mod needs to have at least. In my opinion.

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
What I define a technological mod by

• If it follows industry standards, even loosely
  • If it is very not-focused on adventure
  • Processing standards
  • Generally GUI based
  • Power-based*
  • Power-focused*
  • Adds a power system**
  • Automation-based
*The difference between these is very key. Power-based = uses a power system. Power-focused = focused on power generation. Magic mods do not do this, they simply have power to "jsut power the stuff", it isn't that important.

**Doesn't need to do this, using an already-existing power system works too.

ETA: All of these are generalizations. Mods can include/exclude any of these and still be considered a tech mod.

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013
What I define a technological mod by

• If it follows industry standards, even loosely
  • If it is very not-focused on adventure
  • Processing standards
  • Generally GUI based
  • Power-based*
  • Power-focused*
  • Adds a power system**
  • Automation-based
ET has no guis and AE2 requires exploration in order to start. PneumaticCraft has no way to process ores. It's also fairly unfriendly to automation. What I want to hear about is of you think a magic mod could be based on RF.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
ET has no guis and AE2 requires exploration in order to start. PneumaticCraft has no way to process ores. It's also fairly unfriendly to automation. What I want to hear about is of you think a magic mod could be based on RF.
What is ET?
Again, I said any mod can include/exclude the definitions.
See above reason.
A magic mod could probably be based on RF, but it'd need a really easy and "OP" way to make it.

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019

I have a mod mostly outlined that os a magic based RF mod.

Your criteria is lacking.

dwappo

Jul 29, 2019
What category would Dartcraft be in? It seems magical but can be run off of energy like RF (I just thought of this when hearing @Not_Steve)

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
Thermal Expansion already has some magic-y features. High-tier equipment (resonant energy cells) is basically crafted by throwing expensive things together repeatedly. You transfer power by filling tubes with redstone, which is even more magicy than Thaumcraft's essentia tubes.