Mods decided to make it impossible to make solar power!!!!

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
And for Advanced solars, what is it, 4 uranium to match 32 eu/t? Not to mention the iridium :p
Lemme see if I get this right...
4 uranium
32 depleted cells
32 uranium cells
32,000,000 eu?
160 eu/t? That's not even the best way, either, I just forgot the exact numbers to centrifuge to thorium and plutonium :p[DOUBLEPOST=1363395039][/DOUBLEPOST]
reactors become boring and more of a chore for me after using it so many times.
If reactors become boring for you (even after using the infinite amount of possibilities in creating a layout), how do you not get tired of solars?

Oooh, this reactor's almost done, I can't wait to try out my newest design that I used my mind to create!
Oooh, this solar panel's never going to finish, I just love watching it generate eu and...
and...
um...
generate eu and...be...in the sun!

Archina

Jul 29, 2019
If reactors become boring for you (even after using the infinite amount of possibilities in creating a layout), how do you not get tired of solars?

Oooh, this reactor's almost done, I can't wait to try out my newest design that I used my mind to create!
Oooh, this solar panel's never going to finish, I just love watching it generate eu and...
and...
um...
generate eu and...be...in the sun!
..Because I can just plonk it down and go do something more fun and more productive towards advancing while it does it's thing. Seriously, who the hell watches their solars? They may look pretty but I wouldn't like to have a staring contest with one.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
..Because I can just plonk it down and go do something more fun and more productive towards advancing while it does it's thing. Seriously, who the hell watches their solars? They may look pretty but I wouldn't like to have a staring contest with one.

Are we talking about anything anymore? I cannot tell. Maybe it's because I'm having a bad day, but it really sounds like you're mad and you want to yell at the void at this point. Which is fine. I don't mean to say, "Your feelings are invalid!" Just that I dunno how much more blood you're going to get from this stone.

Advanced solars are so good they're borderline op. And if you're bummed on this iridium requirement, add compactsolars into your pack and profit.

Exasperation

Jul 29, 2019
And for Advanced solars, what is it, 4 uranium to match 32 eu/t? Not to mention the iridium
Actually, if you want 32 EU/t on average it's more like 7 uranium. But since uranium is free (just like iridium, apparently!), that doesn't count as part of the cost of an advanced solar panel. :rolleyes:

Sara Dr In te House

Jul 29, 2019
*pop*

I'm sorry.. but the pop you just heard was my aesthetic sense shooting itself. every time someone builds something as ugly as that, I die a little inside.

windowless 9x9's are bad. this.. this.. it's actually even worse... :(
I'd take solars over this monstrosity any day. if this is what is going to replace them, then i beg server owners to un-nerf the solars again. If i were to find something like this on a server i was a boss on, then somebody would find a little nuclear surprise waiting for them next time they logged on. o_O
I can understand aesthetics but some people (I include myself in this) are aesthetically challenged. I can see what someone has created and think WOW....Beautiful. I couldn't make aesthetic build if my life depended on it. My best attempt caused someone on the server to vow to never visit my home ever again. He literally was a loss of words about the horror of my build.

I now just go for efficient and effective machine builds. Seriously, I SUCK at aesthetics.

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
There are just some people who are just great at aesthetics and can't make anything efficient. Then you're on the other spectrum. I'm in the middle. I can make something look nice, but it'll be empty due to all the machines being stuffed in an ugly basement :p I use windows too much....too bad they make the living space seem so much larger. Why is there no mirror mod? I can see portals as body mirrors, and FZ solar turbine mirrors as being on a little desk :), but no actual mirror with a glass pane behind a silver ingot. So simple, would fit into a furniture mod easily.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, if you want 32 EU/t on average it's more like 7 uranium. But since uranium is free (just like iridium, apparently!), that doesn't count as part of the cost of an advanced solar panel. :rolleyes:

Ironically, late game with GT iridium can be easier to get.

Exasperation

Jul 29, 2019
Advanced solars are so good they're borderline op.

This is BS. It always has been. If you still believe it, I present to you the following:

The Over-powered Solar-powered Challenge.
Create a new single player world in the Ultimate pack. Go ahead and reduce the cost of uu-matter by a factor of 10, but leave everything else on default settings. Cheat in 1 electric furnace and 1 advanced solar panel. You can play on whatever difficulty you prefer to for this challenge (even peaceful if you like, although that might make some resources more difficult to get).

From now on, you are only allowed to use solar power. No burning coal, planks, charcoal, lava, biomass, vis, coal coke, etc.. If you want to use buildcraft or factorization power systems, they have to be powered by electric engines or power converters which are in turn powered by your solar panels. If you want to use turtles, they have to be powered by a charging station which is powered from your solar panels.

Your goal: make 1 ultimate hybrid solar panel. When you've finished (which shouldn't take you long, right? after all, you have an OP solar panel right from the start) come back and tell us how easy it was, and how many basic, advanced, and hybrid solar panels you wound up making in all before finishing your ultimate hybrid.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
This is BS. It always has been. If you still believe it, I present to you the following:

The Over-powered Solar-powered Challenge.
Create a new single player world in the Ultimate pack. Go ahead and reduce the cost of uu-matter by a factor of 10, but leave everything else on default settings. Cheat in 1 electric furnace and 1 advanced solar panel. You can play on whatever difficulty you prefer to for this challenge (even peaceful if you like, although that might make some resources more difficult to get).

From now on, you are only allowed to use solar power. No burning coal, planks, charcoal, lava, biomass, vis, coal coke, etc.. If you want to use buildcraft or factorization power systems, they have to be powered by electric engines or power converters which are in turn powered by your solar panels. If you want to use turtles, they have to be powered by a charging station which is powered from your solar panels.

Your goal: make 1 ultimate hybrid solar panel. When you've finished (which shouldn't take you long, right? after all, you have an OP solar panel right from the start) come back and tell us how easy it was, and how many basic, advanced, and hybrid solar panels you wound up making in all before finishing your ultimate hybrid.
I personally thought that he meant Advanced Solars as in the Mod itself. Which makes more sense to me. Advanced Solars output 32 eu/t, right? And 8 in unfavorable conditions? Not all that great in my eyes. Dependable, I suppose. No fuel costs either, which is why I think solars are alright(plock um down and enjoy the simple EU), but not all that useful unless done en mass. Or with Compact Solars(which just take more solar panels and put them all in one block, which cuts down on solar e-net updates).

earthmage7

Jul 29, 2019
The main point that I support is that advanced cost too much for what they are worth! There are simpler other means of getting eu. So they just wanted to make it so you don't want to make advanced solar panels anymore

Exasperation

Jul 29, 2019
I personally thought that he meant Advanced Solars as in the Mod itself. Which makes more sense to me. Advanced Solars output 32 eu/t, right? And 8 in unfavorable conditions? Not all that great in my eyes. Dependable, I suppose. No fuel costs either, which is why I think solars are alright(plock um down and enjoy the simple EU), but not all that useful unless done en mass. Or with Compact Solars(which just take more solar panels and put them all in one block, which cuts down on solar e-net updates).
It's 8 EU/t, 1 EU/t in unfavorable conditions, actually (although the output, unlike the cost, is configurable). If their internal storage contains energy (because you haven't been using it all), they can output it at 32 EU/t until it's empty.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
Not sure how it works, but couldn't it be clientside and only show up when you look at it?
it would basically have to render everything in its view twice. Which would also mean it needs to scan and recognise what is in its view, and keep checking to see if anything new is in its view. It's an awfully laggy idea. Precicely the reason portalguns don't show whats on the other side of the portal any longer.

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019
it would basically have to render everything in its view twice. Which would also mean it needs to scan and recognise what is in its view, and keep checking to see if anything new is in its view. It's an awfully laggy idea. Precicely the reason portalguns don't show whats on the other side of the portal any longer.
Wait, you mean they never do? I thought that was a bug on my end, but that sucks. :(

GreenWolf13

Jul 29, 2019
Eh, I think there might be a way to do a reasonably lag free mirror implementation, although it wouldn't be a true mirror. Basically just have it render the front of the player's skin whenever a player gets within, what, 2 blocks of it? Te rest of the time, have it display a flat silver surface.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
Wait, you mean they never do? I thought that was a bug on my end, but that sucks. :(
not anymore, no :p
Eh, I think there might be a way to do a reasonably lag free mirror implementation, although it wouldn't be a true mirror. Basically just have it render the front of the player's skin whenever a player gets within, what, 2 blocks of it? Te rest of the time, have it display a flat silver surface.
could work.. maybe something for MageCraft? ;)

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019

Actually, this really isn't the problem. Many games (like Portal) accomplish this and really rendering your geometry again doesn't have to be rough if your engine is set up right. Having to render a slice of the world into a texture across two blocks like portalgun does is the problem. Minecraft's rendering engine doesn't make that trivial (imagine if you were just using a naive view graph you could use basically reflect it back on itself at any arbitrary point, or even create discontinuities like a portal that looked 90deg of itself), so it's fairly expensive.