Modpacks without chunk loaders?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
I just began a new world using Lapito's Galacticraft 3rd-party modpack. It's gone very well, but after a few days of play I suddenly realized there are no chunk loaders in the pack - or rather, none are shown in NEI when I type "chunk". I think the pack does have Railcraft so there must be some kind of chunk loaders available? I think that mod does have em.

Just curious, what do you do if a modpack you're playing doesn't have those real handy ChickenChunks Chunk Loaders? I feel pretty limited without em - for instance, how do I pump lava from the nether without one? Right now I'm pumping into tanks, collecting the tanks, and returning to my overworld base. But these collecting trips must occur until I finally get some other form of power going (hello Big Reactors!) - very tedious.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Railcraft has chunk loaders (called world and admin anchors, probably more than just them too). IIRC BC pumps will chunkload themselves.

Reactions: SatanicSanta

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Railcraft has chunk loaders (called world and admin anchors, probably more than just them too). IIRC BC pumps will chunkload themselves.

Oh wow, I know the BC quarry chunkloads but I most definitely did NOT know that the BC pump does too... are you certain about that? Because the BC Quarry gives you a notification of the chunk loading size, but the pump never gives any notice.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Oh wow, I know the BC quarry chunkloads but I most definitely did NOT know that the BC pump does too... are you certain about that? Because the BC Quarry gives you a notification of the chunk loading size, but the pump never gives any notice.

I've been told several times it does chunkload, but never checked it myself. If you have OPIS installed, check to see what's being chunkloaded. It should show on the map if it does.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
I've been told several times it does chunkload, but never checked it myself. If you have OPIS installed, check to see what's being chunkloaded. It should show on the map if it does.

Good idea but no OPIS in Galacticraft pack. It's an interesting concept and I've always wanted to play the mod, but not having some of these critical things (no ChickenChunks, no OPIS, no IC2, no MFR, no Foresty so no bees!) is really cramping my style. :) Gotta adapt.

I can check the pump thing in my Monster world when I get around to it, I have OPIS in that world. Thanks padfoote.

Reactions: Padfoote

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Neither BC pumps NOR tesseracts chunkload.

Seriously, how long have people been pumping lava from the nether without realising this?

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
The one that chunk loads itself is the ender-thermic pump I believe..?
But the regular buildcraft pump definitely doesn't.

Reactions: GreenZombie

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
The one that chunk loads itself is the ender-thermic pump I believe..?
No, the Ender-thermic pump chunkloads the chunk it is mining from at the time. IIRC you still need to chunkload the place where the pump is sitting.

Vaeliorin

Jul 29, 2019
You might want to check if you have dimensional anchors, as well. They're nice because they're really cheap (iron block + 4 gold ingots), though I imagine that's not a good thing on a server (though you can limit how much a single person can load, I believe)...

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Railcraft has World Anchors, so you're golden.
They consume Ender Pearls. Not a good idea to mix-up technical aspects and gameplay aspects like this. Ideally, chunk loaders should be free in SP games and limited to X per player on servers (if they're even needed there, I have no idea).

Also, OP, why not just add ChickenChunks to your pack? You asked what others would do in your situation. That's what I'd do.

Skyqula

Jul 29, 2019
No, the Ender-thermic pump chunkloads the chunk it is mining from at the time. IIRC you still need to chunkload the place where the pump is sitting.

Yep the area they are mining, but themselves! Including adjacent tesseract.
They consume Ender Pearls

Wich can be disabled in the configs!
Railcraft Config said:
# the number of hours that a single Ender Pearl will power a World Anchor or Anchor Cart
# this is an approximation only, actual duration is affected by number of chunks loaded and tick rate
# set it to -1 to disable the fuel requirement, default = 12, max = 480

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
They consume Ender Pearls. Not a good idea to mix-up technical aspects and gameplay aspects like this. Ideally, chunk loaders should be free in SP games and limited to X per player on servers (if they're even needed there, I have no idea).

Also, OP, why not just add ChickenChunks to your pack? You asked what others would do in your situation. That's what I'd do.
As mentioned, fuel can be disabled. For what it's worth, I agree with you on your view of having a cost for a block that overcomes a shortcoming of the game mechanics.
Also, while adding ChickenChunks is certainly an option, they can be a bit wonky at times, and there's really no need to add a whole new mod that adds a block that duplicates the function of a block from an existing mod.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
What kinds of wonkyness? I use 'em all the time. Now that I think about it, most of my crashes says something about chickens and/or chunks.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
So edit the config.
What kinds of wonkyness? I use 'em all the time. Now that I think about it, most of my crashes says something about chickens and/or chunks.
I've heard that they can cause chunk resets.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
I've heard that they can cause chunk resets.
The only chunk resets I've experienced were caused by Portal Gun. Maybe it's an odd interaction between Chicken Chunks and Portal Gun, but since I stopped using the latter, there have been no more chunk resets in my worlds.