ModPack With TerraFirmaCraft

ghunther023

Jul 29, 2019
Hey Guys and Gals!

I thought it was a great idea to play a modpack with TFC included. Because it adds a real survival feeling.

~G

TheCyberTronn

Jul 29, 2019
I think many people would like a modpack especially for TFC. I have previously played it but messed up the installation, therefore, I couldn't get past the logs to charcoal thing. So, yeah. I personally would love one. It's just a matter of permissions. I don't know whether it's open source or closed source or any of that copyright shizzle. Anyway, yeah. Great idea!

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Hey Guys and Gals!

I thought it was a great idea to play a modpack with TFC included. Because it adds a real survival feeling.

~G
The problem is that it removes a lot of vanilla worldgen which are needed for most other mods. For example, Cobblestone. Makes it real hard to make, for example, stone gears from BC.

It's only possible to work with some mods, and even then, you need to be sure you have access to all the materials you'll need.

Mind you, it IS an awesome idea, but the mechanics involved are... complex.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
They've been planning to add an officially sanctioned TFC pack to the FTB launcher for some time now. And then Minecraft 1.5 happened and mods are taking forever to update because the way textures are handled changed completely.

Mind you, said pack will likely only be TFC itself, maybe with some convenience mods added, like NEI. You must keep in mind that TFC is not a content mod, it is a total conversion. It is not meant to receive the same content mods as vanilla Mincecraft. Trying to add such mods would be like trying to add a Half-Life 2 mod to Crysis, if you will. Both are shooters in which you fight against aliens, but they're completely different games.

I've played TFC myself and I can give you some examples on just how incompatible it is:
- Rei's Minimap bugs out and shows most landscapes in black and white (though aside from the colors everything works correctly) due to the way TFC does texture overlays.
- Inventory Tweaks bugs out and occasionally makes items disappear when trying to stack them, because of TFC's custom item properties like size, weight and temperature.
- The custom terrain generator cannot not spawn vanilla or mod ores. Not just "doesn't do it", but quite literally "cannot do it". There is no vanilla "stone" in which ores can spawn. None whatsoever. Zero. Nada.
- The custom terrain generator is incompatible with post-generation worldgen like Redpower's volcanoes and so on.
- Many vanilla sub-blocks, such as stairs and slabs, do not exist (they are handled by TFC's chisel).
- There are no strongholds and no The End.
- There are no NPC villages (screws over Thaumcraft and Mystcraft, among others).
- There is no Nether (the list of mods this screws over is too long to include here).
- 95% of all items that people recognize from vanilla, even if they look the same and have the same name, are not actually vanilla items. Even things like dirt, or oak saplings, or torches. As a result, adding any content mod whatsoever requires you to also install a support mod where you need to define by hand extra recipes that serve no other purpose than to transform TFC items into otherwise fully identical vanilla items.

Some guy went and did this for Thaumcraft. He needed over 120 conversion recipes just to make it possible to access all the aspects necessary to complete the currently available research tree (including making recipes for crafting the various vis shards, because as mentioned before, custom ores cannot spawn). And even then that's only one mod, and it still doesn't quite give you the same experience.

myrddinstarhawk

Jul 29, 2019
i have been anxiosly awaiting a modpack since sotmead and florastar starter their " tfc with mead" and "back to tera firma" on february 28th. its been over a month since sotmead said there would be a tfc MODPACK and I AM STILL WAITING. all i expect in the pack is terafirmacraft rays minimap and NCI like florastar and sotmead have on thier series.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
We are all waiting, believe me. The guys making the modpack are also waiting for Build 76 on 1.5.1, which is still not ready due to 1.5 being a pain in the rear to modders in general and TFC's custom texture overlays in particular.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Build 76 on 1.5.1 is out now, by the way. It's still quite buggy though, so I'd give them a few more days to sort things out. It shows that it was an extremely difficult update.

TFC now comes with its own launcher, too. We'll have to see if the FTB pack is still going to be a thing in light of that.

abculatter_2

Jul 29, 2019
Some guy went and did this for Thaumcraft. He needed over 120 conversion recipes just to make it possible to access all the aspects necessary to complete the currently available research tree (including making recipes for crafting the various vis shards, because as mentioned before, custom ores cannot spawn). And even then that's only one mod, and it still doesn't quite give you the same experience.
This is an amazing idea, how did he change the recipes?

ghunther023

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, the only reason I want a pack with TFC is because installing TFC on normal minecraft is somehow not working.

mightyjake

Jul 29, 2019
I think that someone could probably make a patch for Rei's minimap to integrate it with TFC.
On a side note, is DW20 does a modspotlight on it, it will probably be on FTB pretty soon.

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
Aye, TFC for 1.5.1 is here, it really isn't ready for pimetime. Adding NEI crashes it every time you open your inventory, and there are still numerous bugs, from merely annoying to severe.At a guess, that is the delay on getting it to FTB.

Oh, and don't use Rei's minimap with TFC, use Zain's, which is now the Voxel Map, just grab the Forge version, not the liteloader one. Zain's Minimap actually renders terrain correctly.

I'd give significant parts of my body if someone would add on to TFC to bring it up to the industrial age. I'm almost tempted to get back into programming to make that happen. Almost.

mightyjake

Jul 29, 2019
I think adding tech mods to TFC would ruin it, as it would remove the survival element.

I guess creating a hybrid pack would be good, but that would be ten times harder to code for a developer, and ten times harder for the player to use.

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
I think adding tech mods to TFC would ruin it, as it would remove the survival element.

I guess creating a hybrid pack would be good, but that would be ten times harder to code for a developer, and ten times harder for the player to use.
Nah, what I'm talking about would be end game only. Red and blue steel required to even begin, and by then survival is no longer an issue. Add some early industrial revolution style tech, maybe some steam punk. I'll have to think on it.