Modjam 4 Discussion Thread and Reviews

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
Sure, let my clarify. I think it is a bad mod, but it is also fun and certainly can become a good one with a couple of updates.
But also judgement on Modjam should imo be based (at least mostly) on what is there, not what it might (and therefore also might not) become.

Also to clarify me saying it is a bad mod, I do not think the technical execution is bad. But for me the central point that makes a good mod is whether it's fun to play. Play being, well, play, and not check-out-and-throw-away.

Morph is another mod that needs an update to sync it's features in with gameplay before I could consider it a good mod. Imagine how cool it'd be as a Thaumcraft or Blood Magic addon.

Reactions: Narc

belgabor

Jul 29, 2019
Morph is another mod that needs an update to sync it's features in with gameplay before I could consider it a good mod. Imagine how cool it'd be as a Thaumcraft or Blood Magic addon.
Sure, there is always better, but Sync is/was already a good mod by itself and certainly earned it's place among the top mods in MJ3 :)

VikeStep

Jul 29, 2019
My opinion is that they should change ModJam to ModDevJam. Vote for your favorite modder as long as they submit an entry. /s

But seriously. That is all people are doing. I really personally wanted to see the Kitchen Mod get best aesthetics. It really really deserved it.

But yeah, I talked about it with iChun in IRC and we both agreed his mod didn't deserve these prizes. Also, I am pretty sure that Progressive Automation won best progression because of its name. If you actually look at that mod, I am not sure it has the best balancing. Something like MineFracturing or immibis's mod maybe...

The only solution in my opinion is to have a panel of judges to decide the winner. People who are not swayed by public opinion and people who didn't enter the competition! Modjam is the only competition I know where the competitors vote for who to win.

Zeeth_Kyrah

Jul 29, 2019
I notice Pocket Dimensions placed well in the community standings. I would have loved to see Progressive Automation include some other machines before I gave it my vote, but it seems to play well with "KISS" rules (Keep It Simple, Stupid). There were a couple I couldn't get working, and EM Coherence, while nice, just is not something I'd play much with.

As for It Came From The Sky? A few words: "This mod would make Bacon Donut, Twitch streamer, happy."

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
My opinion is that they should change ModJam to ModDevJam. Vote for your favorite modder as long as they submit an entry. /s

But seriously. That is all people are doing. I really personally wanted to see the Kitchen Mod get best aesthetics. It really really deserved it.

But yeah, I talked about it with iChun in IRC and we both agreed his mod didn't deserve these prizes. Also, I am pretty sure that Progressive Automation won best progression because of its name. If you actually look at that mod, I am not sure it has the best balancing. Something like MineFracturing or immibis's mod maybe...

The only solution in my opinion is to have a panel of judges to decide the winner. People who are not swayed by public opinion and people who didn't enter the competition! Modjam is the only competition I know where the competitors vote for who to win.

I had hoped that this thread would balance things. I suppose the next time will have to do something like a blind vote where the mods are created in secret. :/[DOUBLEPOST=1402271076][/DOUBLEPOST]
Solstice
I hope he keeps giving it love. I want this in the 1.7 port of BnB.

KillerPigMeteorThing

9/10, 10/10 if he makes a way to change the model easily.

I suggested that Xcomp should include it in mystcraft as an instability.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Sync makes a wonderful addon to hardcore mode, if perhaps it was a little more expensive to make a new shell. As it is now, as soon as you can make a constructor and a storage unit, the pig power to make a new shell is nothing.

Piggy makes a great potential for instability, or for a special event / special series. It doesn't make a good item for a normal world. Still, you might have a scripted event for something special that is happening 1,000 blocks away from your main base that you visit occasionally for some special reason.

Morph ... seems like both "hey, look what I can code / look what can be done" (which is interesting), but also excessive with "Flight for free, or underwater swimming for free, or ignore fall damage really cheaply". Actually, do zombie pigmen give you lava resistance? If so, add that to the cheap list.

Hmm ... Never thought to try an enderman, can you teleport? Any control?

===

Pocket dimension, immibis' power mod, and a couple of others look like "How much of an existing full mod can be done in a weekend". Not that this is bad -- if the challenge is "what can you code in a weekend", then it's a fine entry. But as for a mod that you want to play, there's more complete existing versions of those.

But if the challenge is "what can you code in a weekend", then piggy is perfectly fine. And it probably will get more play than those others.

===

If anything, I think that things like the mini-games, or the first person shooter conversion, should be judged differently than "This is a mod that you are expected to add to your world and play with for a long-term play". In other words, categories for "one off" sessions, versus "long-term play" mods.

Reactions: Zeeth_Kyrah

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
I think my personal standards for winners are just pretty high because the first winner of Modjam, Translocators, is frikin' amazing and is still used in the exact same state as it was released in to this day and is still unmatched in its area. Seeing a pig meteor win after that is harder to accept.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
I think my personal standards for winners are just pretty high because the first winner of Modjam, Translocators, is frikin' amazing and is still used in the exact same state as it was released in to this day and is still unmatched in its area. Seeing a pig meteor win after that is harder to accept.

It's the most impressive and complicated mod in the competition. Something like that is very complicated to code. All those blocks splashing about.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I don't believe iChun should be banned from further entries.

I would never want to see that happen, it's just sad to see him win just because he's ichun
so on one hand I want to see him join every modjam because he can make very good mods, but on the other hand I would like to see him not join a modjam to give other developers a chance... it's a quite difficult situation with no real solution

but I always hoped that Sync and Morph would be combined into 1 mod, or atleast some compatibility between them. you'd need to craft a sync container where you can mix your DNA with the DNA of another entity, and you'd have to move your soul onto that container to be able to use that morph.

it'd have also been cool if hats became a bit more useful by having certain hats have certain effects on the player when wearing, that way it actually becomes an interesting way of using the mod by wanting to collect the hats that give better effects. the hats with the better effects are ofcourse more rare and can only be gotten from harder to fight mobs. you'd be able to collect more of the same hat and trade hats with other players, or perhaps through a special villager you'd be able to craft the very good hats yourself without having to hunt for them

Reactions: Flipz and Mevansuto