Modern Retro Project - Impossibru?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

triggerfinger12

Apr 17, 2017
Rock
BTDubs, This in not the first time i've ever seen/heard this used before. There was this whole running joke between me and my friends a year or so ago where we would think of some ridiculous thing and call it "Impossibru"

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Post-scarcity, is that point at which you're no longer having to wait on resources to complete a project. There's no need to stop in the middle to go mine diamonds, or search for redstone to craft/wire something up. The moment you get EE, it's just a matter of tossing in something you don't need to pull out the stuff you do need, and so now nothing is scarce or rare. To whit, you now have infinite resources.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Post-scarcity, is that point at which you're no longer having to wait on resources to complete a project. There's no need to stop in the middle to go mine diamonds, or search for redstone to craft/wire something up. The moment you get EE, it's just a matter of tossing in something you don't need to pull out the stuff you do need, and so now nothing is scarce or rare. To whit, you now have infinite resources.
Ah, I see. I've seen different modpacks try and deal with that in different ways; things like Project Ozone 2 either used items with no EMC value for high-end recipes, or else things which needed so much of an item that EMC generation was the only way to make them! Both of which might be undesirable, depending on your viewpoint. But, if you want mining to always be a thing (which I know I would for most packs) then it definitely has no place.

Cool, thanks for clarifying! :)

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
After talking to Chocohead on the IC2C discord channel, I may well be trying out regular IC2-EX for 1.11 because apparently they've 'fixed' the e-net crap (finally), which means the pack will be in 1.11. Which means I get to toss BC back into the mix and be more authentic with my mod list.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not expecting Thaumcraft to drop until 1.11 (possible prior, but I'll not hold my breath). If it's out in time, does it make the pack, or is it a wait and see how drastically different it is? I know nostalgia is your goal, so any crazy reimagining might be too far outside your scope.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I'm not expecting Thaumcraft to drop until 1.11 (possible prior, but I'll not hold my breath). If it's out in time, does it make the pack, or is it a wait and see how drastically different it is? I know nostalgia is your goal, so any crazy reimagining might be too far outside your scope.
That's a damn good question, actually.

On the one hand, it shouldn't be in a retro pack. On the other hand, the urge to include will be huge. We'll see when we get there.

Reactions: Inaeo

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I don't know, some of the newer Thaumcraft things are definitely hearkening back to TC2. Such as using seals to control the golems, and some of the wand focii like the wands of old.

M

MagicMage1238

Just to clarify, I'm not suggesting that you necessarily play the kitchen sink packs. I'm saying the kitchen sink packs already contain the closest there is to the old stuff right now. I've poured through the 1.10 mods I can find everywhere and the vast majority of the good ones are already in Beyond, and the big ones are almost ALL in there already (and also in Direwolf). That's because 1.10.2 is a temporary resting point, I think.

Resting point, Not so sure..... Mojang is about to release 1.12 within the next week or so they are releasing Snapshots as of now...

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Resting point, Not so sure..... Mojang is about to release 1.12 within the next week or so they are releasing Snapshots as of now...

That's my point. That this 1.10.2 era that's picked up steam right now is temporary. The new versions are coming fast and it'll be a while before another stable period like 1.7.10 comes around.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019

That's my point. That this 1.10.2 era that's picked up steam right now is temporary. The new versions are coming fast and it'll be a while before another stable period like 1.7.10 comes around.
Indeed there have been many confirmations that 1.10 is already on its way out. Beyond Expert Mode is planned as a separate pack to be launched in 1.11, and a Mojang rep had said a good while ago that quick releases are planned for MC until somewhere around 1.17, at which point they will need to overhaul so much code that it will be similar to the 1.7->1.8 move. This means all modding done from 1.8 through whatever version they finally hit that hard stop wall will be temporary. The good news is, updating from version to version seems to be quick and mostly stable on these quick releases, so making a mod for 1.10+ is still worthwhile since the overall lifespan of the mod is likely larger than just one version - something that doesn't happen too often without substantial rewrites usually.

asiekierka

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
Dec 24, 2013
BC is betting on 1.11 being the next industry standard, and it makes sense for them to not backport to 1.10 after having made that decision. I just think it's a rather silly decision on their part.

You're incorrect in terms of what the team is supposedly betting on, I'm afraid. If you tried out the current releases of BuildCraft for 1.11.2, you'd quickly find that they're very far from being stable - features such as robots or kinesis pipes (which are especially important due to BuildCraft moving back to having its own energy system) are simply missing, and a lot of the other content is unfinished (such as fillers or the new refining system), rough around the edges or simply unstable.

The new BuildCraft team chose to rewrite major parts of BuildCraft's source code. There are many reasons for that - some of them include the fact that the 1.8.9 port made the codebase a lot more painful to work with than it used to be due to yet another year of duct taping and that the MMPLv1 license has certain issues that we sought to avoid by relicensing the entire project, which involves rewriting content provided by those who did not agree to said relicensing.

The reason BuildCraft has moved on to 1.11.2 is because a stable version of BuildCraft beyond 1.7.10 is still months away and, since new code is being written, it's best to target the latest version to avoid unnecessary porting and thus wasted time. The community, as history shows, will catch on anyway - if not in 1.11.2, then in 1.12, or 1.13, or maybe even 1.14 - however, BuildCraft will hopefully be ready by then.

If you want to play BuildCraft with other mods right now, we highly recommend you stay on 1.7.10 for the time being, which has received bugfix releases as late as last month and may receive bugfix releases in the future if necessary.

Also, to correct one more note that I've seen in this thread: As of 0.9, Logistics Pipes's dependency on BuildCraft isn't really grounded in anything but recipes and needing to add a few more ifs. The reason Logistics Pipes has not updated is not BuildCraft; rather, as far as I know, it's the RS485 team being very busy with real life activities.

Last edited:
Reactions: Inaeo

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
You're incorrect in terms of what the team is supposedly betting on, I'm afraid. If you tried out the current releases of BuildCraft for 1.11.2, you'd quickly find that they're very far from being stable - features such as robots or kinesis pipes (which are especially important due to BuildCraft moving back to having its own energy system) are simply missing, and a lot of the other content is unfinished (such as fillers or the new refining system), rough around the edges or simply unstable.

The new BuildCraft team chose to rewrite major parts of BuildCraft's source code. There are many reasons for that - some of them include the fact that the 1.8.9 port made the codebase a lot more painful to work with than it used to be due to yet another year of duct taping and that the MMPLv1 license has certain issues that we sought to avoid by relicensing the entire project, which involves rewriting content provided by those who did not agree to said relicensing.

The reason BuildCraft has moved on to 1.11.2 is because a stable version of BuildCraft beyond 1.7.10 is still months away and, since new code is being written, it's best to target the latest version to avoid unnecessary porting and thus wasted time. The community, as history shows, will catch on anyway - if not in 1.11.2, then in 1.12, or 1.13, or maybe even 1.14 - however, BuildCraft will hopefully be ready by then.
Great update asiekierka, thanks :)

If you want to play BuildCraft with other mods right now, we highly recommend you stay on 1.7.10 for the time being, which has received bugfix releases as late as last month and may receive bugfix releases in the future if necessary.

Unfortunately, the reality for a lot of us, given that the tipping-point of the modding community is now past 1.7.10, is that if we want to play a given mod that hasn't ported to 1.10+, we just have to be miserable and not play that mod. Case in point for me in addition to BC is, say, Thaumcraft 5. To a lesser extent Reika's mods.

asiekierka

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
Dec 24, 2013
Unfortunately, the reality for a lot of us, given that the tipping-point of the modding community is now past 1.7.10, is that if we want to play a given mod that hasn't ported to 1.10+, we just have to be miserable and not play that mod. Case in point for me in addition to BC is, say, Thaumcraft 5. To a lesser extent Reika's mods.

I honestly think, in the case of a modpack, not having a mod is better than having an unstable, unfinished version of said mod. Recently, the team had to contact All The Mods 2 to request removal of BuildCraft from their pack for the time being as the volume of bug reports received from there was too high to handle at this stage of development. The "7.99" version was also supposed to signify it's "not quite 8.0" - when the version number flips to 8.0, that's when you'll know that, if not stable, it's at least considered survival-ready by the team.

Reactions: Pyure

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I honestly didn't expect it to be ready yet, though since it's on Forgecraft it's at least in a playable state.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always

Well, thank you for the update, but it sounds like you're moving further and further away from me ever wanting to have anything to do with it. One of the reasons I was willing to try BC again was because it was on the same RF system everyone BUT IC2 and dependents use. If you're going to yet another standard... that's pretty much a deal-breaker for me.

I also do not like the term 'relicensing', because every time I've seen this, it goes from a less restrictive to a more restrictive license, which I don't much care for. Mind you, it's your mod, your code, you absolutely have the unalienable right to do whatever you like with it, and I fully support your right to make your license more restrictive if you so choose... but it is yet another factor which will drive me away from it, both as a player and as a mod-pack developer.

I... haven't played with 1.7.10 in months. At this point, I consider this a step backwards. There were so many things wrong with 1.7.10 that have since been fixed, including some serious stability and lag issues that are... at least less bad. Heck, FastCraft for 1.7.10 is pretty much 'the rendering system from 1.8 which doesn't lag you out, plus a few tweaks', if my understanding is correct.

Having said that, if you anticipate that long in your development cycle, then I absolutely understand why you aren't even trying for a 1.10.2 release.

Also, to correct one more note that I've seen in this thread: As of 0.9, Logistics Pipes's dependency on BuildCraft isn't really grounded in anything but recipes and needing to add a few more ifs. The reason Logistics Pipes has not updated is not BuildCraft; rather, as far as I know, it's the RS485 team being very busy with real life activities.
Logistics Pipes has a hard dependency upon BuildCraft. It doesn't matter if it uses BC extensively, or incidentally, as long as that hard dependency is kept, you CANNOT have LP without BC, and since BC is not out for 1.10.2... neither can LP. Definition case. To remove that hard dependency would require at least some additional work on the part of the developers which, as you said, are quite busy with actual life at the moment. But, as it currently stands, they could not release LP for 1.10.2 even if they wanted to without removing that hard dependency.

asiekierka

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
Dec 24, 2013
Well, thank you for the update, but it sounds like you're moving further and further away from me ever wanting to have anything to do with it. One of the reasons I was willing to try BC again was because it was on the same RF system everyone BUT IC2 and dependents use. If you're going to yet another standard... that's pretty much a deal-breaker for me.

I am not sure what their plans are in regards to RF compatibility at the moment (however, from what I've seen, official RF compatibility is unlikely). You'd have to ask them - I haven't been involved in the 1.9+ codebase at all, and all I've done in terms of BuildCraft development for the past year is website and 1.7.10 maintenance.

I also do not like the term 'relicensing', because every time I've seen this, it goes from a less restrictive to a more restrictive license, which I don't much care for.

Actually, it's moving to a less restrictive license this time! I would consider a combination of the Mozilla Public License 2.0 and Creative Commons BY-SA 4.0 to be slightly less restrictive overall than the MMPLv1, and definitely more clear in a legal sense as to what you are and are not allowed to do - which was the primary reason for the move. (And, if you're not a BuildCraft developer or involved with its source code, the change is unlikely to affect you in any significant way)

I... haven't played with 1.7.10 in months. At this point, I consider this a step backwards. There were so many things wrong with 1.7.10 that have since been fixed, including some serious stability and lag issues that are... at least less bad. Heck, FastCraft for 1.7.10 is pretty much 'the rendering system from 1.8 which doesn't lag you out, plus a few tweaks', if my understanding is correct.

Having said that, if you anticipate that long in your development cycle, then I absolutely understand why you aren't even trying for a 1.10.2 release.

Getting to the point where BuildCraft is now took the team about a year, so I think it's fair to anticipate that, by the time BuildCraft 8.0 becomes stable, 1.10.2 will no longer be a major version.

Logistics Pipes has a hard dependency upon BuildCraft. It doesn't matter if it uses BC extensively, or incidentally, as long as that hard dependency is kept, you CANNOT have LP without BC, and since BC is not out for 1.10.2... neither can LP. Definition case. To remove that hard dependency would require at least some additional work on the part of the developers which, as you said, are quite busy with actual life at the moment. But, as it currently stands, they could not release LP for 1.10.2 even if they wanted to without removing that hard dependency.

What I was trying to say is that most of the work required to separate LP from BC has already been done and what remains is tiny in comparison to the amount of effort necessary to port it from 1.7.10 to anything 1.8+. I have tried to port Logistics Pipes to 1.10.2, and I have to tell you that the codebase's state at this moment makes it anything but easy.

EDIT: RS485 has apparently just made Logistics Pipes work without BuildCraft on 1.7.10.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pyure

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
RF is a great system, but since it ends up relying on a third-party API it means if you're running RF and aren't the original devs, you're basically stuffed if the new version isn't ready when you are. Which is why IE has IF, which is RF with the serial numbers filed off, and let's IE run independant of the RF API.