Modern Retro Project - Impossibru?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Only up to 1.8, from 1.9 it uses a more traditional style with packets again.
Choco: That's fantastic to hear. Just fyi, I did hedge and say "IF" somewhere up above.

Did Player eventually officially drop his re-envisioning of the e-net? (I was hoping to link to his post where he has a diagram of it, but I cannot seem to find it)

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
So pretty much in 1.10.2, my Modern Retro pack is going to likely consist of:

* IC2C and addons to it
* Thermal Expansion suite to replace BC. Because BC apparently isn't being issued in 1.10.2, and TE does pretty much everything it needs doing, although there is overlap with IC2.
* MFR instead of Forestry, because MFR machines do pretty much exactly what Forestry machines used to do... without the bees. Because bees suck.
* Some backpack mod.
* Refined Storage to replace LP because there's no LP in 1.10.2 because there's no BC
* Maybe Thaumcraft when/if it comes out? Not sure on this, beause TC has changed so much.
* NOT Project E, despite being fairly faithful to the old EE2 dynamic, because Equivelant Exhange always felt 'post resource scarcity' to me
* That's pretty much it.

Any other ideas/suggestions?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
So pretty much in 1.10.2, my Modern Retro pack is going to likely consist of:

* IC2C and addons to it
* Thermal Expansion suite to replace BC. Because BC apparently isn't being issued in 1.10.2, and TE does pretty much everything it needs doing, although there is overlap with IC2.
* MFR instead of Forestry, because MFR machines do pretty much exactly what Forestry machines used to do... without the bees. Because bees suck.
* Some backpack mod.
* Refined Storage to replace LP because there's no LP in 1.10.2 because there's no BC
* Maybe Thaumcraft when/if it comes out? Not sure on this, beause TC has changed so much.
* NOT Project E, despite being fairly faithful to the old EE2 dynamic, because Equivelant Exhange always felt 'post resource scarcity' to me
* That's pretty much it.

Any other ideas/suggestions?
I think you can't actually do much better than this for your goal. And, btw, Thermal Dynamics with servos and retrievers and such feels more like redpower than anything else to me. I can't really back that up objectively except as a "feel" thing. Is TD available yet?

Regarding bees: Bees do suck, except in Infitech2, where they're a resource multiplier instead of a resource generator :p

Chocohead

Jul 29, 2019
Did Player eventually officially drop his re-envisioning of the e-net? (I was hoping to link to his post where he has a diagram of it, but I cannot seem to find it)
It's currently sitting in a different package and is just never called to load it. It used to be possible to still use with a Java argument, but some more internal abstractions means it needs changing to that system for that to be possible again now.

Reactions: Pyure

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I think you can't actually do much better than this for your goal. And, btw, Thermal Dynamics with servos and retrievers and such feels more like redpower than anything else to me. I can't really back that up objectively except as a "feel" thing. Is TD available yet?
TD is currently in active development, to be released when it is done. I concur that it also feels more like RP2 tubes than anything else since. And I had put in a suggestion to their github to have special interaction with TE's auto-crafter to do the LP thing of having a Retriever of Signalum+ quality be able to 'see' the recipe the Cyclic Assembler has, to be able to handle auto-crafting and crafting-on-demand. I don't know when/if/how it will be implemented, but KL flagged it as 'Under Consideration', which is hopeful.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I never fully understood IC2's power system. I always understood it as Throughput and I/O. Throughput being the amount of energy a cable is capable of sending through, made easier by it being multiplicative. And I/O being what machines are capable of putting into the cable and taking out from it.

Batboxes can put in LV to any cable better than tin, but trying to put MV or better into a copper cable meant it couldn't handle the Throughput and thus melted. Thus Gold cable had 4x the capacity or 'pipes' of copper.

On the other hand, I remember trying to run a GT blast furnace and never quite being able to manage it consistently, until I hit on the idea of plugging power into an MFSU and then running that straight into an MV transformer. Previous attempts with an MFE failed rather depressingly. (And spectactularly at least once for some reason.)

You know I suggest Railcraft be thrown in, just because, but it does make moving IC2 power around more effective, unless you're powering your MFR stuff on RF. Nothing quite like seeing a pile of diamonds go sliding past on a steel box, full of expensive, difficult to produce power. Maybe some sort of barrel mod, since I'm still convinced it's the only bit of Factorization anyone ever used. That and the magic glass machine.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I never fully understood IC2's power system. I always understood it as Throughput and I/O. Throughput being the amount of energy a cable is capable of sending through, made easier by it being multiplicative. And I/O being what machines are capable of putting into the cable and taking out from it.

Batboxes can put in LV to any cable better than tin, but trying to put MV or better into a copper cable meant it couldn't handle the Throughput and thus melted. Thus Gold cable had 4x the capacity or 'pipes' of copper.

On the other hand, I remember trying to run a GT blast furnace and never quite being able to manage it consistently, until I hit on the idea of plugging power into an MFSU and then running that straight into an MV transformer. Previous attempts with an MFE failed rather depressingly. (And spectactularly at least once for some reason.)

You know I suggest Railcraft be thrown in, just because, but it does make moving IC2 power around more effective, unless you're powering your MFR stuff on RF. Nothing quite like seeing a pile of diamonds go sliding past on a steel box, full of expensive, difficult to produce power. Maybe some sort of barrel mod, since I'm still convinced it's the only bit of Factorization anyone ever used. That and the magic glass machine.
Railcraft, if it updates, and instead of barrels, we'll do Storage Drawers, which are basically better barrels anyway.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Railcraft, if it updates, and instead of barrels, we'll do Storage Drawers, which are basically better barrels anyway.
YABBA isn't bad as far as barrel mods go.

Did MFR update to 1.10? I thought it was part of the dead in 1.7 movement...

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
YABBA isn't bad as far as barrel mods go.

Did MFR update to 1.10? I thought it was part of the dead in 1.7 movement...
If TD updates, MFR will also probably update at some point, Team CoFH has taken to updating MFR ever since the end of 1.6 era

Storage Drawers is strictly superior to YABBA, IMO. Basic drawers > Barrels, without taking into consideration 2x and 4x drawers OR compacting drawers OR the Drawer Controller. Oh, and Drawers are automatically oredict converters. And are less laggy. So... umm... yea.

joshwoo70

Jul 29, 2019
I attempted a moderen retro pack a few months back last year.. with the 1.10 scene. its possible. buildcraft can just leg it. Thaumcraft 6 is a ways away and probably not the same. so forget that too. projectE can take up EE2 soace. ic2 could be used ic2 classic(Still in beta for 1.10) and many others.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I attempted a moderen retro pack a few months back last year.. with the 1.10 scene. its possible. buildcraft can just leg it. Thaumcraft 6 is a ways away and probably not the same. so forget that too. projectE can take up EE2 soace. ic2 could be used ic2 classic(Still in beta for 1.10) and many others.

You... didn't read the last few posts, did you? I'd already discussed that Project E, while being a good EE2 replacement, is not something I am going to include because after playing around a bit with EE2, I refused to use it in my 1.2.5 instances. It was too post-resource-scarcity for me. And we'd already discussed both the fact that IC2C is a good replacement for IC2 and that it was being released for 1.10.2.

joshwoo70

Jul 29, 2019
I apparently didn't... hmm.
chisel and bits? probably decocraft could fit.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Chisel and Bits would net you all of the multi-block functionality.

Storage drawers is kind of superior to everything. The one thing it can't do, is duplicate JABBA's resonating upgrade, but it's not even necessary end of the day.

I wish there was an updated version of the EE from Ultimate, which was actually a bit more balanced in my opinion. Minium stone, some transmutation recipes, but no tablet and no ability to store power. But being able to use it to make diamonds and ender pearls when I was bad or unlucky at the game was very handy.

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
One thing that I've found disapointing is that there has never been a redpower2 computer equivalent.

The only programming equivalents (computercraft, opencomputers, SFM, ...) have been high-level, none of them let you do stuff directly to the "hardware"

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Chisel and Bits would net you all of the multi-block functionality.

Storage drawers is kind of superior to everything. The one thing it can't do, is duplicate JABBA's resonating upgrade, but it's not even necessary end of the day.

I wish there was an updated version of the EE from Ultimate, which was actually a bit more balanced in my opinion. Minium stone, some transmutation recipes, but no tablet and no ability to store power. But being able to use it to make diamonds and ender pearls when I was bad or unlucky at the game was very handy.
Yes, I rather liked that. There have been functional builds of EE3, which have been limited but working - and it was quite nice for getting hold of things like ender pearls as you said. I believe it's still in the hands of Pahimar, who (much like Soaryn with XYCraft) has it as a WIP. Its a shame, as some of the stuff that was going in later on with the bell jar, calcinator and stuff was interesting. But, I believe it was the dynamic generation of EMC values that had been the sticking point - I think Pahi got it sorted out, but then Minecraft moved on!

Also: can I just say that "Impossibru" sounds like a Scottish fizzy beverage that's really difficult to drink?

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Either that, or someone at Starbucks thought of a drink that everyone would accept the challenge to drink to get more sales.

To me, "Impossibru" almost sounds like English spoken with a heavy Japanese accent, except that would come out more like "Impossiburu".

Espresso and Maple Syrup? SWEEEEEEET! :D

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
To me, "Impossibru" almost sounds like English spoken with a heavy Japanese accent, except that would come out more like "Impossiburu".
I suspect that was the original intent exactly!

I was wondering about the whole EE thing; when reflecting on its role in DW20's Retro playthrough, it was one of those things where you had to put the hard work in to start with, but it then eases the effort after you've done it the first time. I'm not 100% sure what post-scarcity means, unfortunately. But it didn't seem to spoil anything for him; it wasn't used as a shortcut or anything. *shrugs* But it comes down to what you feel works for you! :)