Modern Retro Project - Impossibru?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I know EnderIO had options to do it without the liquids in some versions, same with Tinker's being able to alloy. If neither works, nothing wrong with Minetweaking a process.

In FTB Ultimate, in order to make Mixed Metal Ingots, you had to lay them into a Railcraft Rolling Machine. (It was a GT change.) That could be an option. Compress the bits into a 'Signalum Blend Ingot', and then smelting that gives the ingot needed.
I *REALLY* don't like Minetweaker from a stability perspective. I also do not have either Tinkers or EnderIO in the pack, as I'm trying to get that retro feel to it.

Playing around a bit, I've gotten IC2 pretty well sorted. Got my tier 1 machines, got a set of electric tools (including a diamond-tipped drill), got a batpack. Haven't gotten into BC just yet, that's next on the list. Well, actually, Forestry is probably next on the list for biofuel/peat power production from renewable resources.

Going to try a thing, hopefully it works.

Trying to give my NVidia 1050Ti a workout, dropped in a 128x resource pack with bump-map support (R3D CRAFT) and SEUS Shaders Ultra. And still running at 30 FPS at 1080p. Now I just need a texture pack that supports mods.

Last edited:

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Presumably you could get someone to custom make a mod for it. I know Landstrider did one for his Future's Edge pack.

Sphax, Faithful and my personal choice of John Smith's Technician all support mods, though which ones seems to change from version to version.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I absolutely cannot stand Sphax. Watching anyone playing with Sphax for more than about five minutes gives me headaches. Which is a primary reason why I do not watch any of the Yogscrew.

I'll check out JSTR and see what kind of support I can get there. I don't have all that many mods, and most of them are pretty 'big'.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Yeah, Sphax irritates me as well. Why making Coal, Redstone and Diamond all look alike except for color seemed like a good idea is completely beyond me.

JSTR supports everything in my custom pack, and supported all but one or two mods of Ultimate, so it should support your pack. The only thing you might not like is the cursor being smaller than normal which makes it occasionally easy to lose.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Yeah, Sphax irritates me as well. Why making Coal, Redstone and Diamond all look alike except for color seemed like a good idea is completely beyond me.

JSTR supports everything in my custom pack, and supported all but one or two mods of Ultimate, so it should support your pack. The only thing you might not like is the cursor being smaller than normal which makes it occasionally easy to lose.
The only problem is that because I am using IC2classic instead of IC2, the texture pack doesn't work for it. Other than that, it looks absolutely amazing with the shaders I am using. And still at 30 FPS, which is what I record at.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Hmm... There's a thread for it here on the forums, but no solutions. Soartex might be an option, I'd forgotten the name of it. Maybe as simple as changing the name of the folder in the resourcepack? Worth a shot, and it shouldn't hurt anything.

Screenshot?

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Quick one - did you try ProjectRed in 1.7.10? While its not a perfect replacement for LP and RP2, there are absolutely some things that can be done in it which come fairly close - I had a good play with it, and actually really enjoyed what it could do. it was the closest I found to both, while falling short of the full functionality of either.

Certainly the sorting and crafting with pipes and cards was surprisingly effective, and rather enjoyable to set up and use I found! If its of interest, this tutorial helped open my eyes to the sort of things you can do, as well as some of the issues with it.

Quetzi

Jack of All Trades
Retired Staff
Aug 20, 2012
quetzi.tv
At this point it's probably going to be a much simpler proposition to target 1.11.2, 1.10.2 is an intermediate version and everything is already in the process of moving away from it. For the RP2 stuff, while there isn't a drop in replacement for the whole thing individual elements have been replicated and tubes/machines have a new effort in Teckle that is currently in alpha: https://github.com/elytra/Teckle/releases

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
At this point it's probably going to be a much simpler proposition to target 1.11.2, 1.10.2 is an intermediate version and everything is already in the process of moving away from it. For the RP2 stuff, while there isn't a drop in replacement for the whole thing individual elements have been replicated and tubes/machines have a new effort in Teckle that is currently in alpha: https://github.com/elytra/Teckle/releases
Problem is IC2Classic is no longer in development and the last issue was 1.7.10. And I really would prefer to have IC2Classic to the mess it is today, if possible. If not, well... phooie.

Also, is there any way to disable the ignoble stuff from Forestry? I'd really like to not have to work 10x as hard to do the same work. It was the update that caused me to turn my back to the mod in the first place. Just because Florastar was able to do it doesn't mean *EVERYONE* can horribly break bees. Sheesh.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
It's not a configurable change. It was done in the code. I'd say either not do bee's at all, or use something like Gendustry or Genetics where you can purpose make Pristine's.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Ahh, you can make pristines with Gendustry? Well then, problem solved.

However, IC2Classic is apparently not continuing development past 1.7.10, which means if I go to 1.11 then I'll have to deal with IC2-ex. >.<

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
If 1.11.2 IC2-exp is anything like 1.7.10, I wouldn't waste my time. That e-net is utterly broken.
Yea, and that's really the part that cheeses me off most about IC2-ex

The hammer and shears? Yea, they're cringe-worthy, but also obsolete almost as soon as you craft them, because you can immediately make the machine that does the same thing only not consumable. Basically, they changed around how their crafting works, and wanted to heavily incentivise the new machine, so gave the tools a pathetic amount of uses. Fine. Okay. I get it. I don't much like it, but I also don't have to deal with it as soon as I make the rolling machine.

The new ore processing stuff? Meh, can take it or leave it. Basically IC2 bought into the 'more than doubling for more annoying steps' bandwagon.

But the new e-net? Yea, no. 'Oh look, it is TOTALLY not RF, and a REALLY different system HONEST despite working like a kludgier and laggier exact duplicate'.

gattsuru

May 25, 2013
However, IC2Classic is apparently not continuing development past 1.7.10, which means if I go to 1.11 then I'll have to deal with IC2-ex. >.<
I think there's still some development going on under Speiger, but it's in a really awkward combination of closed-beta Patreon and hard computer issues, and the last update was May.
It's not a configurable change. It was done in the code. I'd say either not do bee's at all, or use something like Gendustry or Genetics where you can purpose make Pristine's.
Yeah, it's all hard-coded for the default bees.

As an alternative to Gendustry/Genetics, there's a second.princess config option in forestry\apiculture.cfg. Intended for skyblock, but even low values (<5%) will give you net-positive Princesses, even from ignoble stock. Makes automation a bit more complicated and bee houses potentially ridiculous, though.

Last edited:

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Looks from Direwolf's videos like it's properly sparky/explody, which is mostly what I want from my IC2.

May consider Tech Reborn and see if it even needs IC2. It doesn't look like it's necessary though it's compatible. It's like the 1.4.7 GT, and while that's not everyone's cup of tea, it also appears to have it's own macerator options, and might be a worthy replacement.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Looks from Direwolf's videos like it's properly sparky/explody, which is mostly what I want from my IC2.

May consider Tech Reborn and see if it even needs IC2. It doesn't look like it's necessary though it's compatible. It's like the 1.4.7 GT, and while that's not everyone's cup of tea, it also appears to have it's own macerator options, and might be a worthy replacement.
Tech Reborn is a standalone spiritual successor of sorts to GT (machine-wise) and IC2 and the like, although since it doesn't have two-dimensional e-net I'm personally not interested in it.

I clarify the machine-wise because from what I can tell, it doesn't follow GT in the respects that tend to offend most folks.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Yes, exactly, without the jerk bits.

Two-dimensional e-net?
Packets vs throughput.

Classic IC2 e-net was mostly concerned with 'packet size'. How large any given power transmission packet was. So, for example, you could have 20 Geothermal Generators all producing 20 EU/t running on copper cable, because none of them are producing more than 20 Eu/t even though the total came out to 400 EU/t. Of course, you still had limits on acceptance, so while you could try to feed that into a batbox, it would only accept 32 EU/t regardless of how much it was being 'fed'. Meaning you still needed an MFSU to accept that level of power input.

Modern e-net is basically a re-skinned RF that 'is totally not RF, for realz' and cares only about throughput. If there's more than two geothermals on a copper cable, the cable burns up because it is more than 32 Eu/t being transmitted through the cable.

And after having spoken to the author of IC2C on his Discord, I have been advised that the final version of IC2C will be for 1.10.2 and will not continue from there.

However, playing with IC2C in 1.7.10, I can definitively state that it hit me in my nostalgia. With no TiCon, I moved almost immediately to a Drill/Batpack as soon as I possibly could, then upgraded the drill to diamond-tipped and eventually upgraded to a Lappack before even starting to play around with BC/RC/Forestry.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Just tweaking what Shneeky says: I'd rather call it "packet-size" and "packet-count", with "throughput" as the product of those two.

GregTech still uses two-dimensional power. You have multiple "tiers" of power, LV (32 eu/t) MV (128 eu/t) etc. These would be your packet-sizes. And there's also "amps": you can send 2 packages of 128eu, or 1, or 8, etc. These would be your "packet-counts".

A given machine may need 128 eu/t to run, but perhaps it cannot safely accept MV-tier voltage, so you'd have to instead send it 4A of 32eu power so it doesn't blow up. On a cable that supports at least 4A in it at a given time so it doesn't catch fire.

IC2 classic operated on a similar premise (although it seemed a lot more obfuscated there; GT's comes off considerably more streamlined).

The new E-net is exactly how shneekey describes it, which makes the IC2 team's "we're switching to RF!" April Fool's joke particularly dumb and annoying since they might as well have for all the difference it makes, and they'd probably even increase their playerbase (sadly) doing it in the meanwhile.