Modern Alternative to Buildcraft Gates?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

wakafanykai123

Jul 29, 2019
I'm running a setup with a turtle tree farm and steam dynamos. I need there to be a way for the dynamos to signal to a redstone furnace that they do not have fuel. I was going to use Buildcraft gates, but I'm looking for a different solution. I think there is a way for EnderIO to do this, but I've never worked with the mod before.

Morberis

Jul 29, 2019
The power monitor does that if you have your energy generation configured correctly. But for the record I`m not sure what`s old fashioned about buildcraft gates.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
The power monitor does that if you have your energy generation configured correctly. But for the record I`m not sure what`s old fashioned about buildcraft gates.
The fact that they are in Buildcraft, an "old fashioned" mod.
But yeah I know gates are a somewhat more recent addition to Buildcraft even if they where added 6+ months ago, I think they where added in early 1.6.

Morberis

Jul 29, 2019
No gates have been in much longer than that, they`ve been revamped recently though. I`m not sure I buy that buildcraft is old fashioned either, just because its old. Old but not old fashioned, old fashioned says out of date, behind the times, not as capable. It`s no more those things than railcraft or rotarycraft is. It is not as simple as some newer mods.

asiekierka

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
Dec 24, 2013
I'm running a setup with a turtle tree farm and steam dynamos. I need there to be a way for the dynamos to signal to a redstone furnace that they do not have fuel. I was going to use Buildcraft gates, but I'm looking for a different solution. I think there is a way for EnderIO to do this, but I've never worked with the mod before.

BuildCraft gates.

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019

BuildCraft gates. They're actually the best option for this exact use.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
When two different mod devs tell you that BC is the answer, its best to listen.

Reactions: rhn

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
ComputerCraft could also potentially be an answer, but that would likely be a lot more involved that a couple of cheapo BC gates and some structure pipes.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
BC gates have always been one of the best parts of BC to be honest. Why on earth look for an alternative for something awesome.
I just wish more/all mods would add gate conditions to their machines. Even if you perhaps don't use pipes to transfer items or power, you can do so creative and powerful stuff with the gates with the machines that do support it.

One thing I would LOVE to see though was Pipe Wires that did not have to be placed on pipes. So you could place them on normal blocks but still bridge to wires on pipes. Of course you would need to be able to place all 4 colours in the same block space. Maybe make a 4 coloured "bundled cable" with similar mechanics to the RP2/Project Red wires. Now THAT would be awsome and bring the gates into a whole new level of usefulness!
EDIT: well guess this would not be all that different than running pipe wire on structure pipe, but would still be nice if it was just a flat wire and not something that took up the entire block.

Last edited:

asiekierka

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
Dec 24, 2013
BC gates have always been one of the best parts of BC to be honest. Why on earth look for an alternative for something awesome.
I just wish more/all mods would add gate conditions to their machines. Even if you perhaps don't use pipes to transfer items or power, you can do so creative and powerful stuff with the gates with the machines that do support it.

One thing I would LOVE to see though was Pipe Wires that did not have to be placed on pipes. So you could place them on normal blocks but still bridge to wires on pipes. Of course you would need to be able to place all 4 colours in the same block space. Maybe make a 4 coloured "bundled cable" with similar mechanics to the RP2/Project Red wires. Now THAT would be awsome and bring the gates into a whole new level of usefulness!
EDIT: well guess this would not be all that different than running pipe wire on structure pipe, but would still be nice if it was just a flat wire and not something that took up the entire block.
Done, but only for RedLogic bundled wire ATM.

Reactions: rhn