Modded Factions/Anarchy

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Nitroxko

Jul 29, 2019
Better question, if I was to make a server like this(I'm considering it), what pack would you guys want it to be?

Nitroxko

Jul 29, 2019
Making a modpack is easy, making a mocked server for a custom modpack is hard, and making a modded server for a custom modpack with plugins is the worst.

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
Making a modpack is easy, making a mocked server for a custom modpack is hard, and making a modded server for a custom modpack with plugins is the worst.

Agrees when your trying to server setup (especially for the first time) it's not easy. However you can always turn to a hosted solution to the point where you just have to come up with the contents which are compatible (now that IDs conflicts are rare and mod options for some plugin functionally it should be more bearable) and load them into the server. It's all in if your willing to pay for a quality service or if you rather save up and then do more of the leg work (this is what i exactly means by "you get what you paid for" in many cases).

Milobe115

Jul 29, 2019
If there was a modded factions server, I'd join it, even though I don't especially like factions PvP

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Plugins are a bukkit thing... you shouldn't really use bukkit/cauldron

If you need stuff like /warp <place> or /home, there's a serverside mod called "ForgeEssentials" that is a forge mod that was made for forge servers, which is essentially the Essentials plugin that was made for Bukkit.

And making mod packs is easy :)
Bung all the mods you want into a folder, edit the configs you need (e.g. disable <item> etc.) and voila, pack!

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019

If you need stuff like /warp <place> or /home, there's a serverside mod called "ForgeEssentials" that is a forge mod that was made for forge servers, which is essentially the Essentials plugin that was made for Bukkit.

Bung all the mods you want into a folder, edit the configs you need (e.g. disable <item> etc.) and voila, pack!
Then you get permissions, then you upload it to the FTB Launcher, then you spend a week or so tearing your hair out over the inevitable issues, then you do a round of playtesting, then you do some fixes and tweaks, then another round of playtesting, then you make more fixes and tweaks, then you realize you introduced an issue that causes frequent crashes, then you make a big fix, as well as more fixes and tweaks... Yep, super easy. ;)

Milobe115

Jul 29, 2019
It's a very time-consuming thing (personal experience), but if help is ever needed for testing purposes (or even building the pack), I'll gladly help.

Nitroxko

Jul 29, 2019

What's wrong with using cauldron? In testing the server cauldron seemed to work fine. And for a mod pack, I'd probably use infinity pack because it has a good combo of mods and since it works 100% on a server.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Then you get permissions, then you upload it to the FTB Launcher, then you spend a week or so tearing your hair out over the inevitable issues, then you do a round of playtesting, then you do some fixes and tweaks, then another round of playtesting, then you make more fixes and tweaks, then you realize you introduced an issue that causes frequent crashes, then you make a big fix, as well as more fixes and tweaks... Yep, super easy. ;)
Depends on how big the pack is... in a PvP pack you aren't going to be seeing that many issues.
You will have tinkers, maybe some better armour/food mods, a tech mod (will only really be an issue if its Mekanism - as that CAN be buggy), and maybe some decorative mods (such as carpenters blocks, and secret rooms)... all in all a pack which wouldn't have issues.
Issues only arise if the mod itself is bugged, there's cross-mod interaction, or the pack dev decides to make massive changes (like having <mod1> rely on <mod2's crafting>, etc.)

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
What's wrong with using cauldron? In testing the server cauldron seemed to work fine. And for a mod pack, I'd probably use infinity pack because it has a good combo of mods and since it works 100% on a server.
Bukkit officially isn't allowed to release new builds without rewritting the entire thing, basically. And Cauldron is a fork of that, which means it has to wait.
So if you are using a legal version, then it is highly outdated. If it's an illegal version... well, it's illegal.

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
Bukkit officially isn't allowed to release new builds without rewritting the entire thing, basically. And Cauldron is a fork of that, which means it has to wait.
So if you are using a legal version, then it is highly outdated. If it's an illegal version... well, it's illegal.

Plus to add even in "practice" it generally simpler to deal with a forge server than a bukkit+forge server (that what Cauldron is in a nutshell). Then as the reason in the quoted response since modding is more tolerable people are more likely be willing/able to help you much better should you run into problems.

Reactions: jordsta95

Nitroxko

Jul 29, 2019
I'm using Kcauldron, which is legal and works. I'm pretty sure that's what all nodded servers use to run plugins.

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
Depends on how big the pack is... in a PvP pack you aren't going to be seeing that many issues.
You will have tinkers, maybe some better armour/food mods, a tech mod (will only really be an issue if its Mekanism - as that CAN be buggy), and maybe some decorative mods (such as carpenters blocks, and secret rooms)... all in all a pack which wouldn't have issues.
Issues only arise if the mod itself is bugged, there's cross-mod interaction, or the pack dev decides to make massive changes (like having <mod1> rely on <mod2's crafting>, etc.)
I totally disagree.
Anytime you build a pack, there will be stuff you forget to change. There will be stuff that you forget to test. These aren't things that really go away with a smaller pack; they just get bigger with larger packs. Bugs aren't really something that you can just decide to avoid... :p

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
I'm using Kcauldron, which is legal and works. I'm pretty sure that's what all nodded servers use to run plugins.
Kcauldron? Can't say I have heard of that.
Cauldron though is just Bukkit for forge, and seeing as it contains the illegal code from bukkit, you shouldn't have an up to date version.

Reactions: Type1Ninja

Nitroxko

Jul 29, 2019
So I got a server up. And that's about it, I haven't done permissions, I haven't built spawn, but its working, so that's a good thing.
Edit:I also added the plugins so that also works

Reactions: Type1Ninja

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
So I got a server up. And that's about it, I haven't done permissions, I haven't built spawn, but its working, so that's a good thing.
Edit:I also added the plugins so that also works
I forget, which pack is it you're using/making?