Mod / Plugin to track down lag from other mods?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Vaygrim

Jul 29, 2019
Ic2 Power works completely differently from BC, Ic2 does end to end packet routing and graph building. Very expensive stuff that scales exponentially with the complexity of the network and is heavily influenced by the load on the network. Loops in the graph tend greatly complictate things.

BC simply passes each power request from one pipe to another, the cost is constant and not affected by load and scales linearly with the network.

It should be noted that Thermal Expansion's Conduits are more akin to Ic2 than BC's method. RedPower wire, I suspect, is actually more akin to BC's method.

The only reason BC pipes used to explode when loops were built was because loops used to be giant black holes that would suck up all your power output by repeatedly applying the loss over distance. Now, they don't consume power so instead they simply constrict the networks throughput by recycling old power around and around. Which while not ideal, it isn't inherently harmful.
Thanks for taking the time to chime in, CovertJaguar!

Regarding the whole FPS Loss / Poor Performance thing.. I'm still figuring it all out. FTB Unleashed 1.13 gives me 50 FPS smooth as glass while FTB Unleashed 1.14 only produces 20-24 FPS max .. all using the exact same building structure with the exact same furnishings.. both in similar biomes. I'm .. a little lost on it all.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
I found ic2 luminators a bad source of lag in my 1.5.2 world. I was dropping down to 2-3fps and horrible tick rate. once I removed most of the luminators, things got considerably better.

Zealstarwind

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for taking the time to chime in, CovertJaguar!

Regarding the whole FPS Loss / Poor Performance thing.. I'm still figuring it all out. FTB Unleashed 1.13 gives me 50 FPS smooth as glass while FTB Unleashed 1.14 only produces 20-24 FPS max .. all using the exact same building structure with the exact same furnishings.. both in similar biomes. I'm .. a little lost on it all.

I will say that 1.1.3 was properly done but somewhere along the line 1.1.4 crapped out or tried to add/change too much. I dunno as I use dw20's 1.1.3 and recently tried 1.1.4 to find the same issues you've been mentioning. I didn't delve into it further I just went back to 1.1.3

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
It should be noted that Thermal Expansion's Conduits are more akin to Ic2 than BC's method. RedPower wire, I suspect, is actually more akin to BC's method.

Not the case actually. TE conduits don't do any routing. They're basically a single 'battery'. Engines put power into them, machines take out of them. There's no form of path-finding for power. King lemming made this specifically to counter the CPU load that for example IC2 wires cause.

Trunks9809

Jul 29, 2019
People keep telling me that TickProfiler is a mod that lets you track down what is causing lag for your game / server. Trouble is.. I cannot find a single explanation of how to use it or install it ANYWHERE. No command lists, no wiki, nada. Just a GITHUB and Jenkins for it, and no instructions. (shrug)

Installation: Download from Jenkins, drop it into mods folder.
Commands: /profile [a]ll/[e]ntities

It takes 30 seconds to run and you'll get a 3 section report showing top individual entities, top chunks and a combined entity count of whats eating ticks.

Vaygrim

Jul 29, 2019
Installation: Download from Jenkins, drop it into mods folder.
Commands: /profile [a]ll/[e]ntities

It takes 30 seconds to run and you'll get a 3 section report showing top individual entities, top chunks and a combined entity count of whats eating ticks.

THANKS!

CovertJaguar

Jul 29, 2019
Not the case actually. TE conduits don't do any routing. They're basically a single 'battery'. Engines put power into them, machines take out of them. There's no form of path-finding for power. King lemming made this specifically to counter the CPU load that for example IC2 wires cause.

Sorry doesn't work quite like that. If that was the case, then you wouldn't even need connecting conduits from the source to the drain. TE does build a node graph, it just doesn't do per packet routing. And building node graphs are very expensive, especially with chunks loading and unloading all the time.

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry doesn't work quite like that. If that was the case, then you wouldn't even need connecting conduits from the source to the drain. TE does build a node graph, it just doesn't do per packet routing. And building node graphs are very expensive, especially with chunks loading and unloading all the time.

While you are correct that a Depth First Traversal is not cheap, I feel like you are vastly overstating the potential issues. We've tested with 100k+ conduits in a network, and there are optimizations in place that prevent full reconstruction in most cases.

The thing that kills IC2 is indeed the packets.

Vaygrim

Jul 29, 2019
While you are correct that a Depth First Traversal is not cheap, I feel like you are vastly overstating the potential issues. We've tested with 100k+ conduits in a network, and there are optimizations in place that prevent full reconstruction in most cases.

The thing that kills IC2 is indeed the packets.

I really feel like it could be super-educational to get mod developers such as yourselves, KingLemming and CovertJaguar, to sit down and do quick explanations like this for players. I think it really could help in clear up a lot of the 'urban myths' that surround popular mods and the way they behave and function.