Mod / Plugin to track down lag from other mods?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Vaygrim

Jul 29, 2019
I'm looking for a way to track down lag being generated by a mod. The trouble is, I'm not sure WHICH mod it is and I've got a rather log list of mods installed. Can anyone point me to a mod (Forge compatible) that I could use for tracking down game lag? I believe there is a mod that I've got which is using poor render methods (or something similar), resulting in excessive lag.

Any tips?

Flipz

Jul 29, 2019
I remember seeing a ComputerCraft program at some point that could track down which chunks were causing lag, which of course makes it a lot easier to troubleshoot and solve problems. I'll do a quick check through my PMs in case it was in there, otherwise if someone else can find it, that'd be awesome. :)

Vaygrim

Jul 29, 2019
I remember seeing a ComputerCraft program at some point that could track down which chunks were causing lag, which of course makes it a lot easier to troubleshoot and solve problems. I'll do a quick check through my PMs in case it was in there, otherwise if someone else can find it, that'd be awesome. :)

It would be epic if you could dig that information up, yeah!

Also.. isn't there a directory somewhere in my minecraft folder where I can stick text files for ComputerCraft programs so that they show up in all Computers and Turtles in game? I seem to remember that being a thing.

Vaygrim

Jul 29, 2019
People keep telling me that TickProfiler is a mod that lets you track down what is causing lag for your game / server. Trouble is.. I cannot find a single explanation of how to use it or install it ANYWHERE. No command lists, no wiki, nada. Just a GITHUB and Jenkins for it, and no instructions. (shrug)

So now I'm looking for other options. I've tried breaking all one of my chunk loaders, then stopping and restarting the game to see if that helped. Made no difference. At my home base (tower), I have 16 FPS. As soon as I get more than 1 chunk away from the tower.. my FPS shoots up to 60! I've tried it with Smooth lighting on and off, that only made about 4 FPS difference. I've got normal render distance, not far or anything crazy. I'm just lost as to how I can track down WHAT at my home base is causing this FPS loss.

Vaygrim

Jul 29, 2019
I am rather surprised there isn't more for this kind of problem. (I.E. tracking down lag to a specific mod or block.)

Runo

Jul 29, 2019
I just want to mention that fps does not coincide with tick rate. There's nothing you can use for ticks that will tell you fps problems.

Look for UE issues or excessive sounds, those are the two biggest culprits.

Vaygrim

Jul 29, 2019
I just want to mention that fps does not coincide with tick rate. There's nothing you can use for ticks that will tell you fps problems.

Look for UE issues or excessive sounds, those are the two biggest culprits.

Yeah I figured that Tick Rate and FPS are not always related. Right now I've got a ton of FPS loss and I cannot seem to determine the reason why. It isn't based upon which direction I am looking at, but happens constantly while in a 3x3 chunks containing my home base. I have eliminated everything with particle effects.. chased down everything playing a noise constantly (Railcraft Steam Engines were bad for this one specifically).. and I'm still doing more.

Does anyone know if power loops in Buildcraft power systems cause FPS loss?
What about Logistics Pipes? Is it know to cause FPS loss?

I'll keep troubleshooting and chasing.

Vaygrim

Jul 29, 2019
I am using Enderthermic Pumps in the Nether for my lava, yes, but only one single pump at present. Think this is the source of my trouble?

Zealstarwind

Jul 29, 2019
I know it is, My world was getting what I called a loss in TPS (ticks per second) I dunno if that's the actual term for that but it created lag and made my rednet fail, like there'd be loooong stretches between pulses I broke everything I put down recently and only that pump remained, I removed it and it worked fine. While I love the pump's idea it's banned from my singleplayer lan world because it's an improperly coded block.

Even the redstone clock failed to pulse correctly. It seems to just cause more lag then a normal pump and chunk loader

Vaygrim

Jul 29, 2019
I know it is, My world was getting what I called a loss in TPS (ticks per second) I dunno if that's the actual term for that but it created lag and made my rednet fail, like there'd be loooong stretches between pulses I broke everything I put down recently and only that pump remained, I removed it and it worked fine. While I love the pump's idea it's banned from my singleplayer lan world because it's an improperly coded block.

Even the redstone clock failed to pulse correctly. It seems to just cause more lag then a normal pump and chunk loader

I've removed my single Enderthermic Pump, just to check your statement. Unfortunately it made zero difference.

As a matter of fact, I lost MORE of my FPS switching to a Buildcraft Pump temporarily from my Enderthermic pump. Went back to my Enderthermic Pump and it immediately ironed out alot of my Nether FPS issues. So yeah... Enderthermic Pumps being a problem seems to be very unique to you.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
I am rather surprised there isn't more for this kind of problem. (I.E. tracking down lag to a specific mod or block.)

You can do that. It's called a profiler. It's not something a mod can do, you need to hook into the VM to see what's taking the most time. Any Java dev has experience with profiling.

Reactions: Eyamaz

Zealstarwind

Jul 29, 2019
I've removed my single Enderthermic Pump, just to check your statement. Unfortunately it made zero difference.

As a matter of fact, I lost MORE of my FPS switching to a Buildcraft Pump temporarily from my Enderthermic pump. Went back to my Enderthermic Pump and it immediately ironed out alot of my Nether FPS issues. So yeah... Enderthermic Pumps being a problem seems to be very unique to you.

Well it's a real problem as I've seen at least 2 youtubers have the issue and one of which is Direwolf.

It was worth a shot since that fixed my issues. Sorry I couldn't help more sir, I hope you get it fixed!

Runo

Jul 29, 2019
I do believe power loops can cause some problems, its worth getting rid of them anyway. I had problems with a loop around a power converter once.

I should also mention that mob farms really crush my FPS, in a top-end system. I don't understand why.

Vaygrim

Jul 29, 2019
I do believe power loops can cause some problems, its worth getting rid of them anyway. I had problems with a loop around a power converter once.

I should also mention that mob farms really crush my FPS, in a top-end system. I don't understand why.

I'm starting to wonder if this is what is causing me all of my grief. I can mentally picture the powergrid setup in my base and I am quite positive that it's got at least one or two power loops in it. I will go chase that down and report back.

At present I've peeled out everything that has moving / animated components, everything with particle effects, everything with an excessively repeating sound effect / sound loop. The only things I've got left are power loops OR potentially the Logistics Pipes sorting system that I have setup. I know that Buildcraft pipes and RedPower2 tubes used to be pretty hefty sources of lag, so all the BC Pipes I'm using with my logistics pipes system may also be the culprit.

CovertJaguar

Jul 29, 2019

BC Pumps were rewritten for 1.6. You should see some major improvements.

Also on this topic, Power Loops should not cause any more lag than normal power flows. And yes, Logistic Pipes is terribly expensive computationally. If you are playing SSP, then yes this can eat at your framerate.

Reactions: Eyamaz

Vaygrim

Jul 29, 2019

Also on this topic, Power Loops should not cause any more lag than normal power flows. And yes, Logistic Pipes is terribly expensive computationally. If you are playing SSP, then yes this can eat at your framerate.

It is good to know that Power Loops shouldn't cause lag anymore. Regarding BC Pumps, yes they themselves are real good now but the LAVA you pump out can still cause a lot of lag as a side effect because of the flowing lava whatnot.

Runo

Jul 29, 2019

Do you know if this is also not too bad with ic2 power loops or loops through a power converter? I would think that any cable power loss with a storage device feeding another storage device ouroborus style Would calculate all the way down to zero, though I guess that might not work the way I'm thinking.

CovertJaguar

Jul 29, 2019
Do you know if this is also not too bad with ic2 power loops or loops through a power converter? I would think that any cable power loss with a storage device feeding another storage device ouroborus style Would calculate all the way down to zero, though I guess that might not work the way I'm thinking.

Ic2 Power works completely differently from BC, Ic2 does end to end packet routing and graph building. Very expensive stuff that scales exponentially with the complexity of the network and is heavily influenced by the load on the network. Loops in the graph tend to greatly complictate things.

BC simply passes each power request from one pipe to another, the cost is constant and not affected by load and scales linearly with the network.

It should be noted that Thermal Expansion's Conduits are more akin to Ic2 than BC's method. RedPower wire, I suspect, is actually more akin to BC's method.

The only reason BC pipes used to explode when loops were built was because loops used to be giant black holes that would suck up all your power output by repeatedly applying the loss over distance. Now, they don't consume power so instead they simply constrict the networks throughput by recycling old power around and around. Which while not ideal, it isn't inherently harmful.