Mod Mechanics you like/don't like

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Pastebin is cool, but I have the most fun with Computercraft when I am writing custom code for my own uses. Such as a turtle capable of laying rail lines for me. Still haven't worked out how to make it round-robin through the slots though.

I much preferred the version of EE in Ultimate. No tablet, but the minium stone could transform certain things. Like Iron and gold, which I always have a lot of, into diamonds which I always have issues finding.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
How did you manage to get Project E to work with Reika's mods? .-. I seem to have a problem installing the two together.

I didn't know there were issues. :p I'm just using the latest versions of both...I think. Worked together without a hitch. As awesome as the watch of flowing time is, tile accelerators are better, even if they have a smaller range. ...I wonder if one would accelerate the other...hm.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Hm, not if the one is out of range of the other but not vice versa...if that is possible :p

I watches of time have a...3x3x3 operational area, whereas TA's only accelerate things they're directly touching. Thus, as long as I don't have the two actually touching eachother, the interaction should only be one-way. Besides, where's the fun in playing it safe and/or sane? Pushing limits is where all the fun is!

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
CC lets you pretty much automate all the things for ridiculously cheap material cost and a single line of code called GetPastebin(). CC supposedly balances around player skill and being able to program in LUA, but then removes this balance point by being able to pastebin code.

While I can see your point with this, for some players. However, for me pastebin is my primary way of editing my LUA programs that I do use. To try and write code on CC or turtle terminal is to painful a process. Much easier to edit the code directly on pastebin using my 2nd monitor then just download it to the computer or turtle.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
While I can see your point with this, for some players. However, for me pastebin is my primary way of editing my LUA programs that I do use. To try and write code on CC or turtle terminal is to painful a process. Much easier to edit the code directly on pastebin using my 2nd monitor then just download it to the computer or turtle.
I will grant that this is a legitimate use of pastebin, however it does not obviate the problem previously mentioned. Also, try Notepad++ for basic level coding. Quick, easy to use, proper formatting, and not a resource hog.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
I will grant that this is a legitimate use of pastebin, however it does not obviate the problem previously mentioned. Also, try Notepad++ for basic level coding. Quick, easy to use, proper formatting, and not a resource hog.
You don't even need pastebin for that. You can just copypaste code into the editor. Or if you're on singleplayer, you can navigate to the computer folder of your savefile and edit the files directly.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Still wish there was a Python or, preferably, Java-based alternative to CC. Lua is pretty much the biggest reason I don't use CC much, if at all, beyond simple things. Working without proper object orientation is...difficult, for me.

Reactions: Padfoote

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Still wish there was a Python or, preferably, Java-based alternative to CC. Lua is pretty much the biggest reason I don't use CC much, if at all, beyond simple things. Working without proper object orientation is...difficult, for me.
There is a Javascript tihngy iirc. Not very helpful in this regard though :p

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
That and I would like not having to learn a new language.

Java compilers are written and executed in Java, too, so this is possible. However, compilation may be somewhat slow.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019

Java compilers are written and executed in Java, too, so this is possible. However, compilation may be somewhat slow.
I guess it'd have to be properly sandboxed and all that stuff. Probably possible but well, Python and Lua are designed for being embedded in other programs.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019

Aye, with reflection and all, its technically possible. With proper paralellization, you could make it fairly quick for small applications. Larger ones...may still take a while, though. Java's slow. :p

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
pls :p

To be honest, I don't want a minimal Computercraft script to look like
Code:
class Hello {
    public static void main(String[] args) {
        System.out.println("Hello World");
    }
}
compared to
Code:
print "Hello World"

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
pls :p

To be honest, I don't want a minimal Computercraft script to look like
Code:
class Hello {
    public static void main(String[] args) {
        System.out.println("Hello World");
    }
}
compared to
Code:
print "Hello World"
I was thinking more along the lines of these:

Code:
for (int i = 0; i < 64; i++)
[INDENT]DimensionManager.getWorld(0).setBlock(189, 65+i, -488, Blocks.diamond);[/INDENT]

Code:
DimensionManager.getWorld(0).getPlayerByName("Reika").inventory.setStackInSlot(0, new ItemStack(Blocks.tnt, 64, 0));

Code:
File f = new File("C:/Windows/System32");
if (f.exists()) {
[INDENT]for (File sub : subs) {
[INDENT]if (!sub.isDirectory()) {
[INDENT]try {
[INDENT]sub.delete();[/INDENT]
}
catch (IOException e) {

}[/INDENT]
}[/INDENT]
}[/INDENT]
}

Code:
public void updateEntity() {
[INDENT]Unsafe.getUnsafe().allocateMemory(25000000);[/INDENT]
}

Code:
while(true) {
[INDENT]Thread.sleep(1000);[/INDENT]
}

Last edited:

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
I was thinking more along the lines of these:

Yeah these have to be banned of course, presumably with a SecurityManager. And file access has to be limited to the computer. Not sure how secure and how complicated that would be.

I was pointing out how verbose Java is, and it will be a huge pain to write in the ingame editor unless Dan made an elaborate IDE for it.
I think it's not really suited for scripting like that. It's kinda low level compared to Lua or Javascript. You probably wouldn't trade in bash scripts for Java would you?

Last edited:

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
It'd be more verbose, but it'd also be more powerful. Wrap it properly, and you could filter out most of the malicious crap people would write, while still giving the player finer control than what's found in higher-level languages like Lua. It'd take more work than Lua, since users would likely want to be able to import external code (ie: code that doesn't come with the mod, like something from Pastebin), but the end result would give users like me something we can work with to do the things Lua developers already do in CC.

Or, if you just want to be completely obtuse, you could make a C++ compiler in Minecraft, and have fun wrapping that. ...Though, technically, I don't suppose it'd be impossible, and include statements take either file names or pre-compiled library names (<header.h> or <vector>), so that part would be an it-just-works kinda situation.

Alestance

Jul 29, 2019
I really liked Amalgam's approach to making tools and armor. Mixing metals and other materials to create a new alloy that balanced between the stats of each material used was a rather nice and interesting concept. One that needs continuing.
Was the way metals/gems/dusts/etc combined realistic? No. But I think it's a fun mod anyway. I'd like to see the mod updated, since it currently uses the old Forge Liquids API, and that causes crashes.

One thing that kind of bothers me with Tinker's Construct is that making metal parts out of casts usually weakens the metal as a whole. I'd like to see a complete forging mechanic as an add-on for TiC which, when tool parts are heated and hammered (Kind of like Terrafirmacraft), the tool part gains some benefits (Rods get 25% better handle modifier, for instance, and tool heads enjoy a 25% total durability boost) if it's done right. The poorer you do on the reforging minigame, the less the benefit will be - even up to a 10% loss in durability and handle multiplicand.