Mod Mechanics you like/don't like

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Plenty of mods have varying mechanics. Some people like 'em, some people just can't stand 'em. I'd like to open a forum to discuss the various merits and flaws of the various mechanics found in mods. But I would also like to politely request some ground rules, because things can get pretty heated on topics people are passionate about.

* Feel free to like or dislike any mechanic you want as much as you want. Just understand that not everyone will agree with your position. Polite debate is good. Flame wars and personal attacks... less so. Let's not make the mods step in here, please.

* We're discussing primarily mechanics, not necessarily the mods themselves. For example, the mechanic of a transportation system with some built in logic (such as ExUtil or Thermal Dynamics) versus one which has made an explicit decision for requiring more advanced features for junctions to be anything other than random (BC) is one to be debated. Debating one mod or the other as a whole, however, is not the purpose of this thread. Citing a mod as a source of a mechanic is perfectly acceptable, but stating a mod is/is not good because of x mechanic is exceeding the intent of the discussion at hand.

I'm starting this discussion because I'm considering game mechanics from a more critical perspective lately due to my interest in possibly doing some work on games in general.

To get the ball rolling:

I really like assembly style production lines as opposed to flat recipes. For example, TiCo tool construction or IC2/Mekanism's multi-machine ore refinery. I suppose the TiCo tool construction really resonates with me because I've actually worked in a forge before, and I'm well aware that there's lots of steps in making a tool, and this kind of really drives it home. Plus it provides, if not infinite then at least appreciably large variation possibilities. I also like the mechanic that IguanaTweaks brings to be able to refit a tool part with another pre-made tool part, like swapping out a wooden haft for a thaumium one without needing to make a whole new tool. And the Mekanixm 5x ore refinery is complex enough that building and automating it all is a significant challenge, but once it is built there is a real sense of satisfaction in seeing it just run without you needing to fiddle around with it. To me, it is much more rewarding than having to go through a dozen sub-combines in a regular crafting table. Particular note goes out to Pneumaticraft's crafting mechanics, which are (sometimes literally) very 'out of the box', so to speak.

I'm less enamoured with needless resource bleed from tools that shouldn't need to be replaced. For example, my boss's favorite hammer is over two hundred years old, handed down from master to apprentice over the years. So IC2 needing you to replace a hammer after a mere 70 uses is... very jarring to me. It breaks verisimilitude to me more even than floating blocks, which is saying something. It's just resource bleed for the sake of resource bleed, and I find it more irritating than anything.

I'm also not a fan of 'outdated mechanics', something that you make, use, then never want to touch again. Part of this goes back to Iguana Tweaks ability to not just repair tools, but replace parts. So you don't need to make one wooden pickaxe, then another stone pickaxe and have a still usable but inferior wooden pickaxe still floating around somewhere. Having a dozen outdated and useless tools taking up space really serves no purpose. Machines designed to become obsolete irk me greatly, I feel that if you make a machine, it should be useful and relevant regardless of how advanced you get. For example, let's go back to classic Buildcraft. You probably made a Sterling Engine early game, but even in the late game, BC encouraged a decentralized energy system, and you could use that same sterling engine to run some machine elsewhere. It still had a use and a purpose and you were likely to still use it somewhere in a build.

So, what are some of your favorite (or least favorite) mechanics, and why?

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
One of my favorite mechanics is the Botania method of mana transport. Mechanically it binds you more to the energy system by having you set up and calibrate the senders (I always forget what they're called), and visually it is much more appealing to me compared to setting down a pipe and seeing nothing happening in it or outside it. Beyond this I like the way that Botania handles the mana transport for more advanced builds, this goes back to what you were talking about. So if you're building an advanced build you may use sparks instead of the senders, but you are still probably using senders elsewhere in other simpler builds. Even then you can upgrade your senders with lenses to make them more effective, making it not a I got this now it is useless situation

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
I dislike drop crafting mechanics like you see in Botania. While I'm not wild about live crafting I can stand most right click affairs it but the Petal apothecary and terrestial plate thing can get super frustrating when your aim with Q isn't stellar. The fact that Botania adds a magnet item that isn't easily toggled with a key boggles my mind too.
Also thaumcraft crusible crafting is the same. I always avoid alchemy until I get a thaumatorium dropping the wrong thing is super annoying.
And I'm sure id hate that witchery one too if I played that mod at all.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Same here. But I just used a chest, itemducts with servos, leading to a Botania's Dropper over the Apothecary/T.Plate. Works well enough for me that way.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
I dislike Thaumcraft's crucible crafting as well. It can be mitigated a bit with automated alchemy. More than that, I hate the needed essential pipe system. It feels like difficulty for no logical reason. The old 4.0 system allowed for you to run a length of pipe and if your jars were labelled they'd sort themselves out. I understand there were system issues motivating the change, but the new pressure format is confusing and unrewarding. Its easier NOT to use essential pipes and either jar things manually or use a golem.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
I dislike Thaumcraft's crucible crafting as well. It can be mitigated a bit with automated alchemy. More than that, I hate the needed essential pipe system. It feels like difficulty for no logical reason. The old 4.0 system allowed for you to run a length of pipe and if your jars were labelled they'd sort themselves out. I understand there were system issues motivating the change, but the new pressure format is confusing and unrewarding. Its easier NOT to use essential pipes and either jar things manually or use a golem.

Theres a few "throw in a pool" crafting mechanics in mods but I like thaumcraft's crucible the most. Ive even modtweaked a few recipes for it to craft ender pearls and a few other things like blaze rods and enderium. I like building a chimney over my crucible so the flux can have a place to escape. Most mods it seems are geared towards people with a lot more patience than I have or Modtweaker has been a godsend to me by letting me configure away the recipes that annoy me the most which lessens the temptation to cheat in items- a major problem for me and my single player worlds. Ive added an alternative way to make all of the AE2 processors and crystals using thermal expansion machines (and BC lasers) for example because I found myself dreading crafting any of it. Meteors do not even spawn in my worlds because I dont need them.

Cursed earth alternative recipe: thaumcraft infusion altar: dirt plus lots of the taint aspect (vitium?)
EnderIO: all of the mod's weird ingots replaced with Thermal foundation ones except for dark steel which is now an induction smelter recipe.
Mekanism: Osmium is now a silver/lead alloy because it annoyed me mining up the stuff constantly, and always having too much lead and silver.
Magical Crops: OP mod, but I like the idea of growing ores so Ive tweaked the recipes to require some sort of magic to actually get ores from the essence either via thamcraft or Botania. Also added a magma crucible recipe to melt down essence dust into liquid XP.

Reactions: Golrith

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Netherwart growing in the overworld.
[yeah I know this is vanilla. Its also the most well known example of this behaviour.]

Or more precisely taking a gameplay element that makes a particular dimension/biome unique and making it work everywhere.
Apart from reducing everything into homogeneous gruel through removing the gameplay variety from different areas- theres also a lot of indirect mechanics and interesting potential that comes about through having unique resources in dedicated locations.​

Last edited:

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
You can do that in vanilla, just chuck down soul sand and plant some netherwart on it to grow, it's actually one of the easiest plants to grow having no light, water, or tool requirements.

I mean making it grow on dirt or acting more like a normal crop sure but it growing in any dimension is a vanilla thing, they removed the requirement that it could only be grown in the nether in 1.3.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Throwing out a mass of likes, as I agree with them all.

I'm glad we have minetweaker/modtweaker. Allows us to change many things to our personal sense of balance.

I seriously disklike mods that add their own resource viaworld gen, and then spam it everywhere. You end up with a ton of a resource that can only be used by that mod, and a lot of inventory clutter. I'd rather find a more creative use of existing resources which can be somehow combined/manipulated into a new resource.

Likewise, ore generation. I really wish there was a central/core mod/api/thingy that other mods linked to to generate one type of ore, resulting in one type of ingot, and one type of dust and one type of nugget. Instead of the 2-7 different flavours you get at the moment, and lots of config files to hunt through to disable generation. Complete waste of IDs, resources and texture memory. Instead of solving the problem at source, instead we have work arounds like OreDict and OreDict converter blocks/items.
Thermal Foundation is a step in the right direction, providing just pure resources, but I can understand modders not wanting to make their mod dependent on another mod.
Currently having to use Minetweaker to force nuggets to craft TF ingots, and not Railcraft ingots for consistency within my gameplay.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Throwing out a mass of likes, as I agree with them all.

I'm glad we have minetweaker/modtweaker. Allows us to change many things to our personal sense of balance.
I actually personally REALLY dislike Minetweaker/Modtweaker from the perspective of doing ANY kind of changes completely crashes all the things and in some cases can become irreparable. Also that once you start using it for anything, you will never be able to get rid of it or have Crashes O Plenty.

I seriously disklike mods that add their own resource viaworld gen, and then spam it everywhere. You end up with a ton of a resource that can only be used by that mod, and a lot of inventory clutter. I'd rather find a more creative use of existing resources which can be somehow combined/manipulated into a new resource.
I don't find many mods are guilty of this any more. About the only one that I don't like is Chisel2's various types of stones.

Likewise, ore generation. I really wish there was a central/core mod/api/thingy that other mods linked to to generate one type of ore, resulting in one type of ingot, and one type of dust and one type of nugget. Instead of the 2-7 different flavours you get at the moment, and lots of config files to hunt through to disable generation. Complete waste of IDs, resources and texture memory. Instead of solving the problem at source, instead we have work arounds like OreDict and OreDict converter blocks/items.
Thermal Foundation is a step in the right direction, providing just pure resources, but I can understand modders not wanting to make their mod dependent on another mod.
Currently having to use Minetweaker to force nuggets to craft TF ingots, and not Railcraft ingots for consistency within my gameplay.
There actually is a central core mod that can be used to generate any type of ore. It's called Thermal Foundation. You can regulate the generation of ANY oregen ever from any mod with it, and do so in a fairly straightforward manner. It also solves OreDict by making sure only one type of each resource spawns in the first place by disabling it from the mod and enabling it in Thermal Foundation. You have to manually do the configs to set it up properly, but it is stupidly powerful once you do, and not particularly difficult to script.

Reactions: PierceSG

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I actually personally REALLY dislike Minetweaker/Modtweaker from the perspective of doing ANY kind of changes completely crashes all the things and in some cases can become irreparable. Also that once you start using it for anything, you will never be able to get rid of it or have Crashes O Plenty.

I don't find many mods are guilty of this any more. About the only one that I don't like is Chisel2's various types of stones.

There actually is a central core mod that can be used to generate any type of ore. It's called Thermal Foundation. You can regulate the generation of ANY oregen ever from any mod with it, and do so in a fairly straightforward manner. It also solves OreDict by making sure only one type of each resource spawns in the first place by disabling it from the mod and enabling it in Thermal Foundation. You have to manually do the configs to set it up properly, but it is stupidly powerful once you do, and not particularly difficult to script.
Never had any issue with Minetweaker/Modtweaker apart from my own derps. Most problems I find are actually caused by other mods doing their own thing.

Yes, I know Thermal Foundation (hence why I mention it), and use it to control ore gen, but that's just a start. It's not just ores, is all the ore processing, and different dusts and ingots and blocks and nuggets depending on what crafting process you use. That is annoying.

Main mod at the moment that really spams it's own resources is Botania. Love the mod, hate the default spawn rate of the flowers, especially considering how easy it is to generate more. Before that it was XYCraft (back in the day...). A few other mods don't spam stuff, but do generate some real pointless resource generation that does nothing for your gameplay.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Never had any issue with Minetweaker/Modtweaker apart from my own derps. Most problems I find are actually caused by other mods doing their own thing.

Yes, I know Thermal Foundation (hence why I mention it), and use it to control ore gen, but that's just a start. It's not just ores, is all the ore processing, and different dusts and ingots and blocks and nuggets depending on what crafting process you use. That is annoying.

Main mod at the moment that really spams it's own resources is Botania. Love the mod, hate the default spawn rate of the flowers, especially considering how easy it is to generate more. Before that it was XYCraft (back in the day...). A few other mods don't spam stuff, but do generate some real pointless resource generation that does nothing for your gameplay.

Ive never had that sort of problem with minetweaker before either.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always

One of the things I do with Botania is use Agricraft's method of crossbreeding to produce botania flower petals and not bother with flower generation at all. That way you can't just early-rush Botania, it has to wait until you can crossbreed the mystic flowers.

RamblinWreckGT

Jul 29, 2019
[yeah I know this is vanilla. Its also the most well known example of this behaviour.]

Or more precisely taking a gameplay element that makes a particular dimension/biome unique and making it work everywhere.
Apart from reducing everything into homogeneous gruel through removing the gameplay variety from different areas- theres also a lot of indirect mechanics and interesting potential that comes about through having unique resources in dedicated locations.​
I need to try this kind of playstyle; it sounds like it would be fun for me. Instead of going to a desert once, getting a half a stack of cactus, then going back to my base and making my cactus farm there, I could pretend cacti couldn't be farmed outside of a desert (or mesa). That way I would have a reason to set up a permanent rail line to transport myself and the cacti between the farm and my base. That would also give me a chance to build with more variety, with a desert-based building/nether-based building/etc. I like this idea!

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
I believe there's a mod out there that can enforce this.

Sent from my Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron using Tapatalk 2

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
One of the things I do with Botania is use Agricraft's method of crossbreeding to produce botania flower petals and not bother with flower generation at all. That way you can't just early-rush Botania, it has to wait until you can crossbreed the mystic flowers.
Nice idea, I just lowered flower gen, and added Silver to the crafting recipe for Mana Pools. In my pack, silver is quite rare, and you need to get iron or better tools first, which is not as easy. Adds a bit of a gate, especially since I've only located enough silver for 6 ingots so far. 2 used for pools, 2 for some electrum, 2 left in my treasure chest.

ddejong

Jul 29, 2019
I like mechanics where there's a large amount of work to make the tools to make your tools, but then the tools themselves are fairly easy. Like with TerraFirmaCraft's way of making metal tools; it takes a large amount of bronze to make a bloomery, but once you have that you can start turning iron ore into ingots quite easily, and once you've turned 14 of those ingots into a wrought iron anvil it only takes a single ingot to make one tool.

Reactions: RamblinWreckGT

GreekAnalyzer

Jul 29, 2019
I really don't like AE2's in world crafting, or meteors. I almost always add a recipe to craft the plates, skystone and fluix crystals/pure certus quartz that doesn't involve a stupid gate for something that wasn't broken.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I really don't like AE2's in world crafting, or meteors. I almost always add a recipe to craft the plates, skystone and fluix crystals/pure certus quartz that doesn't involve a stupid gate for something that wasn't broken.
Okay, I can respect that, even if I don't fully agree myself. What specifically about these mechanics do you not like?

For example, about the meteors, is it gating mod progression behind RNG drops that is so annoying, or is it the worldgen itself which presses into the normal worldgen that you don't like? For the in-world crafting, are you referring to the crystal production of throwing things in water? And why do you dislike it so much?

For myself, I can agree with gating behind RNG loots that are rare, but I always liked the new method of crystal growth, so I'm curious as to why you dislike it.

Reactions: RedBoss

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014
Personally AE2's crystal crafting is something I like. It's not just another crafting recipe that you can do without thinking. For a similar reason I like Botania's in world crafting, there's something that just clicks with me there. I'm not quite so fond of thaumcraft's cruicble, as that can be fairly.. messy if you get it wrong.

I'm not fond of the meteor hunt in AE2. It'd be better imo if you found some base plate you could craft into the respective plates. I know this is to restrict AE2 to the mid-late game, but I think this is the wrong way to do it. I don't mind exploration mechanics in mods, but when you get 4 silicion inscriber plates before you even find a single logic one... It's more the RNG aspect that annoys me about it. (it's also the case with things like IC2 Iridium, which you need to originally find in dungeon loot. But I find this somewhat less of an issue when I can bring the dungeon loot to me.)