Mod Mechanics you like/don't like

The_Technomancer

Jul 29, 2019
I'm going to be honest, what I really don't like in mods is an attempt in realism that isn't really work. For example, the pressure chamber from pnuematicraft seems realistic, but due to the fact that air of the same pressure is within anything it is compressing, in real life it would have basically no effect. I prefer mods to either be very realistic, or say, "This is a video game, not real life, so I'm doing it my way," as apposed to things like pnuematicraft or many other mods that seem and act realistic but really aren't, and can lead to misinformation.

Reactions: reteo and RedBoss

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I like the idea of AE2 meteors. It's an incentive to go and explore, instead of spending all your time in your base.

I dislike mods with fiddly things that need constant tweaking. And I don't mean things that need tweaking to work the way you want, like adjusting the rods in a Big Reactor for the precise amount of steam I need in my turbine. That's perfectly fine. It's things that I have to keep coming back to, and readjusting that bother me. Once something is set up, it should stay set up. The RoC Extractor is one of those things. I either have to keep coming back and manually adjusting it from speed to torque, or run two of them, because there's no easy way to automate the change. The best you can manage is to set it up on a timer. (Yes, I'm sure someone has come up with a stupidly clever way to do it, but I'm not that person.)

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
I'll also charm in my dislike for the AE2 meteors. I like the idea of finding some type of base plate in them or somehow crafting the skystone into the plates you need. Also, my other main dislike is the crystal growth mechanic. I can see it when you 1st starting AE2, but there should be some type of advanced machine you can make later on that replaces the need to grow crystals or allows it to be automated with a very shorted time.

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
Also, I have a dislike of the IC2 blowing up multiple machines if you hook up one the wrong way (I know the current version of IC2 doesn't have this back in yet). I can understand blowing the a single machine you are placing. Sort of like hooking a 110V device into a 220V socket. The other dislike is it destroying a machine to move it just because of RNG when using their wrench.

Plasmasnake

Jul 29, 2019
I dislike mods with fiddly things that need constant tweaking. And I don't mean things that need tweaking to work the way you want, like adjusting the rods in a Big Reactor for the precise amount of steam I need in my turbine. That's perfectly fine. It's things that I have to keep coming back to, and readjusting that bother me. Once something is set up, it should stay set up. The RoC Extractor is one of those things. I either have to keep coming back and manually adjusting it from speed to torque, or run two of them, because there's no easy way to automate the change. The best you can manage is to set it up on a timer. (Yes, I'm sure someone has come up with a stupidly clever way to do it, but I'm not that person.)

The extractor is only that way in the early stages of progression. Once you obtain a CVT unit it is pretty much like any other machine you would automate, albeit a bit more interesting.

This set-up is definitely end game.
mGathza.png

I have to admit though that getting to this stage required me to manually operate an extractor before-hand. In this case, the effort necessary was definitely worth the reward.

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014
In the case of the extractor, you could try using a clutch to segregate power between two gearboxes to tune the extractor's speed. You shouldn't need the CVT (although it'd certainly make it more compact.)

Reactions: Azzanine

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
In the case of the extractor, you could try using a clutch to segregate power between two gearboxes to tune the extractor's speed. You shouldn't need the CVT (although it'd certainly make it more compact.)

Try using the multi-directional clutch- its like a set of bevel gears that'll output in a different direction with a redstone signal.
-if you're running off minimum power; then the vanilla daylight senser makes a decent timer.

2015-08-03_16.21.49.png 2015-08-03_16.22.07.png

Late game I'll switch for a gas turbine.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Also, I have a dislike of the IC2 blowing up multiple machines if you hook up one the wrong way (I know the current version of IC2 doesn't have this back in yet). I can understand blowing the a single machine you are placing. Sort of like hooking a 110V device into a 220V socket. The other dislike is it destroying a machine to move it just because of RNG when using their wrench.
Equally frustrating is wrenching an IC2 machine and losing your effort because it turns into a machine casing (or whatever they call the core block).

Reactions: immibis

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Not a bad idea, but surely you must be using 2 clutches in such a setup. Because I can't figure out how you'd use just one.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014
As mentioned, I meant the Multi-directional one. I have no idea why I forgot that first word.

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
the elaborate "rituals" of extra utilities.

Making a stabilized division sigil is a obscure ritual that has no in-game explanation and no-one would think to even make the first step for (clicking the sigil on an altar in the end)

Reactions: immibis and RedBoss

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
the elaborate "rituals" of extra utilities.

Making a stabilized division sigil is a obscure ritual that has no in-game explanation and no-one would think to even make the first step for (clicking the sigil on an altar in the end)
Actually there is in-game instructions similar to the first ritual for the upgraded sigil, NEI when checking on the stabilized sigil tells you to sneak right click on a beacon with an active sigil so it's not like there's no clues, when you do that in the overworld it tells you that there is too much natural earth and upon trying it in the nether you get told it's too hot which does lead you towards the end. Once there much more information is provided, I mean it's still never super clear but it does lead you towards it and it does give you progress trackers you can check whenever you want to let you see if your guesses on what the clues mean were correct super easily.

Lyra_Chan

Jul 29, 2019
I don't mean to hate on a mod or anything, but the aura mechanics from Aura Cascade. It feels floaty to me, and just don't like how it works overall. It's a shame too, I like a lot of the stuff in Aura Cascade, but the main mechanic bothers me.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
If Aura cascade didn't have the mechanics all it would be is a stupid op tool/wepon mod that any scrub modder could puke out.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Lyra_Chan

Jul 29, 2019
That is true, doesn't mean I like the mechanics. I am not saying they should remove it either. I just personally don't like them

EDIT: For some reason I got Vaskii and Pixlepix mixed up >.> I have no idea what gender pixlepix is.. Sorry if I insulted you D:

Last edited:
Reactions: RedBoss

UberAffe

Jul 29, 2019
To be fair to Aura Cascade, the aura mechanic is still in the process of getting fine tuned.
Personally I hope pixlepix adds more inter-aura interaction, that could make automating the power very interesting.
Like allowing orange aura to go any direction and get influenced by other aura's and maybe black aura could change the color of any other aura that passes through it. Filter nodes to push different colors in different directions.

There is still a lot of growing room for Aura Cascades mechanic and I hope pixlepix takes advantage of that room.

Lyra_Chan

Jul 29, 2019
I hope he takes advantage of it too. Aura Cascade has a lot of fun and cool mechanics that I really like, but I really dislike how the mod works as a whole. If Pixle fine tunes it to where it's less awkward and less floaty, then I might give it another chance.

UberAffe

Jul 29, 2019
The mechanics I enjoy the most are the ones that let you do the most. The best example I know of this is actually vanilla redstone. It is an incredibly simplistic mechanic but you can do sooo much with it if you are creative.
Aura cascades power mechanic isn't quite there in my opinion but it seems to be moving in the right direction to be one of my favorites.
Endergenic Generator from RFTools is a good example too. You can have a basic setup that technically works and will give you some power, but you can make some pretty damn complex setups that generate absurd amounts of power for the cost of only a couple ender pearls.

Examples I don't particularly like but I live with because I don't know how else it could be done:
pretty much every kind of ore multiplying process.
Mekanism has a decent one because you can try to optimize it by space used but it really can only be done one way, and there really is no benefit to "optimizing" it aside from aesthetics.

UberAffe

Jul 29, 2019
I hope he takes advantage of it too. Aura Cascade has a lot of fun and cool mechanics that I really like, but I really dislike how the mod works as a whole. If Pixle fine tunes it to where it's less awkward and less floaty, then I might give it another chance.
What do you mean by "floaty"? just inconsistent, unclear, literally floating around?