MJ/RF with solar energy/something else without maintenance

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

koeer11

Jul 29, 2019
As the title reads, I'm looking for suggesting as to how to get MJ from either solar sources or other no-maintenance sources.
The purpose of this is to power a lot of quarries and later whatever else.

Dark0_0firE

Jul 29, 2019
No-maintenance is a little subjective. Pumping the nether, tree farm to planks/charcoal/ethanol, Big Reactor, all of these things can be set up to be very very low maintenance if any. Kind of a set it up and forget it kind of thing. The only things that I can think of that are completely no maintenance would be solar panels and regular ic2 wind mills and water turbines

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
You could go Factorization Mirrors->Boilers->Steam Dynamos->Quarries
But the output of the solar boiler setup is rather low and you would need rather large setups to satisfactorily power a quarry I think(and then still only during the day).

A simple forestry/MFR treefarm setup for charcoal/ethanol is much more effective and can be completely automated.

koeer11

Jul 29, 2019
Alright, but do you know chich one would be better? forestry or MFR?
@Dark0, no-maintenance is not subjective. Lava can run out, making it not no-maintenance.

Dark0_0firE

Jul 29, 2019
Alright, but do you know chich one would be better? forestry or MFR?
@Dark0, no-maintenance is not subjective. Lava can run out, making it not no-maintenance.

Moving a single pump once every few weeks is pretty dam low maintenance. For the ease at which it produces a reliable energy source, most people consider it worth it, if boring.
The debate between forestry and mfr is a good one. MFR is cheaper to build and to startup, but if you want to work at tree breeding and get some high sappiness saplings, then Forestry will out produce MFR most likely. At least as far as ethanol.

thaile4ever

Jul 29, 2019
To be fair he asked for a no maintenance setup. low maintenance =/= no maintenance. There are a couple I could suggest. Which one easier/better would depend on what mods you have installed.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
To be fair he asked for a no maintenance setup. low maintenance =/= no maintenance. There are a couple I could suggest. Which one easier/better would depend on what mods you have installed.
Yes, before we go further, which pack/mods the OP are using would be useful.

Reactions: YX33A and Padfoote

snooder

Jul 29, 2019
There are too many options out there for no maintenance systems to suggest any single one unless you narrow down your requirements a bit.

Do you need something you can set up right away, without too much initial infrastructure?
Do you preferring storing stuff in liquid tanks?
Do you want the most power possible, and don't mind taking a while to get there?
Do you like big power plants? Or smaller distributed power?
Are you on a 1.6.4 modpack, or 1.5.2 or even 1.4.7? I'll assume 1.6.4 since you mentioned RF.

That said, the easiest no-maintenance power set up for a new player is a simple MFR harvester/planter pair feeding a redstone furnace to make coal for steam dynamos. It's easy to make, and can be expanded later on without any trouble when your base builds up.

Reactions: YX33A

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Mods installed are not an obstacle, I'll install the mods if I'm missing any.
Thats not the point, we need a reference to what kind of mod enviromend you are running. Are you running vanilla MC plus 1-2 mods or what? FTB pack like DW20, ultimate, unleashed? Custom pack? It would be a monumental waste of our time to list every single solutions for every single combination of mods for all the different versions of mods/modpacks.

thaile4ever

Jul 29, 2019
Well I'll just throw a couple out there.

If you have Forestry and IC2, then just make solar panels powering electrical engines. Simple and expandable.

MFR Squid Power system works great to. The recent nerf make it so you'll need more then one squid though.

Factorization solar boilers makes steam which can be used by any steam engine from the various mods. Only works during the day, but you can store the steam in tanks.

trajano080

Jul 29, 2019
As the title reads, I'm looking for suggesting as to how to get MJ from either solar sources or other no-maintenance sources.
The purpose of this is to power a lot of quarries and later whatever else.

Solar Panels from IC2/Advanced Solars/Compact Solars powering electric engines should work.

Redius

Jul 29, 2019
ICx - Windmills, Solar panels (compact versions of both).
Mekanism - Electrolytic Separators + Hydrogen generators (needs a jump start, self sustaining after)
Atomic Science - Chemical engines + Steam Funnel + Rotary Turbine (needs a jump start, but self sustaining after)
Treefarms, Boiler setups, hell, get a pig spawner from TForest that is linked to a MFR grinder, that sends the porkchops to a Caliometric burner which powers the grinder.

There's a lot of options, just depends on what you're using.

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
EnderIO has Photovoltaic Cells that output MJ. Their output is configurable in the config as well in case you want more oomph for the recipe cost.

RotaryCraft also has several options including wind, water and solar, but can involve quite a bit of setup.

Mekanism also has Heat Generators and Windmills in addition to those previously mentioned. The windmills generate more power the higher they are. The heat generators generate more power by having more sides surrounding by lava (they can also, but don't need to, consume lava for power).

Reactions: YX33A

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Any of the bees that make phosphorous is the core of a maintenance-free setup.

Alveary with Infernal branch (ex. Demonic) queen/princess/drones --> Simmering Comb
Centrifuge simmering comb --> phosphorous
Igneous Extruder --> cobblestone
Pulviverizer cobblestone --> sand
Squeezer w/phosphorous and sand --> lava

You can then put lava into Magmatic Engine or whatever kind of engine you want.

The Refined bee is also an excellent infinite energy source. It produces combs that centrifuge to oil and fuel.

Personally, I'm a fan of (bred) trees for high-quality saplings for ethanol. It's one of the longest and most complicated infinite-loop setups, assuming you make *everything* (dirt, fertilizer) renewable. Need:
  • 1x farm for saplings
  • 1x farm for fruit
  • source of dirt (preferred source is a peat farm)
  • MFR sewer and composter for fertilizer or, if no MFR, need ash from Peat Engines or bees
  • Squeezer
  • Fermenter
  • Still
  • Engines or boiler to burn Ethanol
Takes a while to get all that setup, especially if you take the time to breed a good sapling tree and a good fruit tree.

Last edited:
Reactions: Padfoote

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
ICx - Windmills, Solar panels (compact versions of both).
Mekanism - Electrolytic Separators + Hydrogen generators (needs a jump start, self sustaining after)
Atomic Science - Chemical engines + Steam Funnel + Rotary Turbine (needs a jump start, but self sustaining after)
Treefarms, Boiler setups, hell, get a pig spawner from TForest that is linked to a MFR grinder, that sends the porkchops to a Caliometric burner which powers the grinder.

There's a lot of options, just depends on what you're using.
I suggest you check out that new(to FTB) mod Gas Craft. Hydrogen is easy to get with it, and is energy free(technically, assuming your water source is free and can supply a item from a farm for free). Add water and Algae to a Photobioreactor module on a modular socket and you get hydrogen. The reaction costs only sunlight and algae since water is easy to make infinite and free.

Reactions: Redius

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
If you want no maintenance at all, Mekanism's wind, solar, and heat generators can do that for you.