Minecraft server - Port fowarding not working

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

mattp_12

Jul 29, 2019
I have been working on fixing this one issue for a WHILE... I am trying to set up a minecraft server, but the problem is, when I port fowarded, every website I visited that checks if the port is fowarded says that 25565 is closed. I have tried everything : I tried allowing the port through the firewall, tried putting the IP into the server ip spot in the server.properties file... okay, lets just say I tried a LOT of stuff.. Nothing seems to be working. Every website I visit just says 25565 is closed.
I'll gladly accept any help that anyone has to offer. I have been working to fix this for so long. If you need any other information that could help me, please don't hesitate to ask.
Thanks in advance :)

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
We need to know exacts here with how you are connected to the internet. Start from the cable in to your building, to reaching your PC (Routers/Modems/Firewalls everything).

mattp_12

Jul 29, 2019
We need to know exacts here with how you are connected to the internet. Start from the cable in to your building, to reaching your PC (Routers/Modems/Firewalls everything).
What exactly do you need to know? Am I missing something..?

Last edited:

skruis

Jul 29, 2019
1. To start with, there are probably multiple layers of firewalls. If you're running this on Windows, you'll have to either turn off (not advised) or modify your Windows firewall to allow 25565.

2. Depending on the complexity of your router firewall, you may have a 2 step process for port forwarding. Some firewalls require you to explicitly define the NAT traversal rule (or use a wizard) in addition to 'allowing' the traffic via a firewall rule.

So, like b0bst3r said, the exact things you should try would depend on what ISP you have, what cable modem/router they issued to you, if you have another firewall/router in addition to what your ISP provided, etc. You could have a double NAT situation where your cable modem is issued a public IP and has it's own NAT/Firewall rules and then the LAN port of that is connected to the WAN port on your own wireless router which has a 2nd set of NAT/Firewall rules and then you probably have an OS level firewall running on your 'server'. So, this question which might sound easy might have a multi-level answer.