MFR Laser drill

Lohengrin

Jul 29, 2019
I thought I had heard somewhere that there was an efficiency difference based on the height of the drill placement. Like is it more efficient the higher from bedrock or closer? Is it significant or not worth worrying about? Am I imagining things? Is my Google-fu weak? What is the Riddle of Steel?

Reactions: SpitefulFox

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
Before placing down the drill, the player has to mine a shaft straight down to bedrock. The drill has to be placed over this shaft to operate and this has to be done after the shaft has been mined. The drill's interface comes with an inventory that allows you to store Laser Focus items. Each unique color of these focus items allow you increase the chances of mining a specific ore. By default only a couple of these are linked to ores, but the mod's API allows other mods to link ores to the colors as well. The effect of the focus items is also cumulative.
Src: http://ftbwiki.org/Laser_Drill

Lohengrin

Jul 29, 2019
No no, I knew that. Not exactly what I meant, but appreciate the help in any event. Perhaps that is it though, but I swear I had heard height made a difference in the overall efficiency, not meaning tuning it to pull more of one type or another. I'm thinking I am imagining things at this point though. Carry on, nothing to see here. ;D

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, well I'm not sure it matters how close it is to bedrock, so long as the conditions are met for it to function, though I can imagine how you'd be curious.

Just experiment with it, y'never know.

Riuga

Jul 29, 2019
Mines at y 64 powered by 3 boilers. I get more diamonds and emeralds and certus quartz then I can use fast enough.

I dont even think I'll bother moving it down to test, because its not even necessary.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
So did I but I can't remember the source I had it from for the life of me.

Everyone on the two TS's builds theirs up in the sky, so I'm fairly certain there is a reason... Even if no one can remember what it was...

Reactions: SonOfABirch

Toran

Jul 29, 2019
From the source code:

intenergyPerWorkHere=(int)(_energyPerWork*(1-0.2*Math.min(yCoord-_bedrockLevel,128.0)/128.0))

If I read that right, and haven't screwed up my maths as usual, at 128 distance from bedrock you have the best possible discount of 20%, at 64 you have a 10% discount and at 0 distance it's 0%...

draeath

Jul 29, 2019
I'm scratching my head at why he'd do it that way. Lasers don't care about distance, unless they don't collimate properly or there's a medium other than vacuum it's traveling through - and in both cases, the longer the distance the worse the effects.

The only exception would be laser pumping, but that wouldn't be what was going on.

Lohengrin

Jul 29, 2019
I imagine it is more a game design thing than a smacks of reality thing. Meaning, let's reward people for going to extremes and building stupid huge laser towers and punish the mole people. A discount for taking the hard road sounds good to me. Here it is, but if you want it better, work for it.

dakamojo

Jul 29, 2019
I'm scratching my head at why he'd do it that way. Lasers don't care about distance, unless they don't collimate properly or there's a medium other than vacuum it's traveling through - and in both cases, the longer the distance the worse the effects.

The only exception would be laser pumping, but that wouldn't be what was going on.

Its a game design thing. Since the laser has to have clear path to bedrock, making the length of the path greater gives a discount.

WeaponMaster

Jul 29, 2019
In terms of energy sources for laser drills, is burning charcoal in stirling engines for MJ better or generators for EU? purely in terms of energy efficiency, not starting costs.

Algester

Jul 29, 2019
In terms of energy sources for laser drills, is burning charcoal in stirling engines for MJ better or generators for EU? purely in terms of energy efficiency, not starting costs.
the way I'd so it would be slapping my steam dynamos on the RC LPBs and connect it to the drill power focuses instead of a dedicated power supply

Reactions: MigukNamja

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
I'm guessing the 2009 Star Trek Romulan drill had an influence. Wouldn't have been as cool if they had to land the ship and then start drilling.

romulandrill.jpg

romulan_ray_2_by_willowfortune-d3aeiix.jpg

Reactions: JaRyCu and Padfoote