mfr harvesters extremely slow (infinity)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

SuperMR

Jul 29, 2019
i have no idea why, the power is fine they just cut the wood really really slow its a nightmare

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
It seems I always forget to add a void pipe to my MFR Harvesters at least once every game. I use a lot of Harvester/Planter combos since they're so easy to set up and run. This time it was my wheat plot, but since I keep a check on how fast the items I'm farming are stacking up, I noticed wheat rate was low and sure enough, I had forgotten to put a pipe on it to void the silly sludge. :) It's a mechanic that's not all that well known, but even if you know, it's easy to forget about. In other words, they should just remove the sludge mechanic altogether and be done with it for good. LOL

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
It seems I always forget to add a void pipe to my MFR Harvesters at least once every game. I use a lot of Harvester/Planter combos since they're so easy to set up and run. This time it was my wheat plot, but since I keep a check on how fast the items I'm farming are stacking up, I noticed wheat rate was low and sure enough, I had forgotten to put a pipe on it to void the silly sludge. :) It's a mechanic that's not all that well known, but even if you know, it's easy to forget about. In other words, they should just remove the sludge mechanic altogether and be done with it for good. LOL
Well I actually think I like the change. It nudges people to consider the sludge boilers a bit more. And they do actually make a good symbiosis with the MFR laser drills as a renewable source for Dirt, Sand and Clay if you are not quarrying conventionally.

Reactions: Pyure

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Well I actually think I like the change. It nudges people to consider the sludge boilers a bit more. And they do actually make a good symbiosis with the MFR laser drills as a renewable source for Dirt, Sand and Clay if you are not quarrying conventionally.

I usually build the sludge boiler out of OCD to use everything I can, but this play through I'm just voiding. The reason is BoP. All the random crap with no uses is more annoying than not using the sludge productively. I do miss the clay, but its forced me to look at other options (Botania, for instance).

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I usually build the sludge boiler out of OCD to use everything I can, but this play through I'm just voiding. The reason is BoP. All the random crap with no uses is more annoying than not using the sludge productively. I do miss the clay, but its forced me to look at other options (Botania, for instance).
Meh, the ME priority trash setup can deal with those :p

Actually just been setting it up as well in my current world and yeah it is stupid that mods register these blocks to the droplist while most have no use what so ever. But yeah OCD makes me want to collect a quantity of each kind just in case I want to use some for building something :p

Reactions: Inaeo

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Meh, the ME priority trash setup can deal with those :p

Actually just been setting it up as well in my current world and yeah it is stupid that mods register these blocks to the droplist while most have no use what so ever. But yeah OCD makes me want to collect a quantity of each kind just in case I want to use some for building something :p

Glad I'm not the only one who keeps ~500 of everything I come across, be it useful or not. Just in case, right?

Reactions: rhn

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
LOL did they finally add that feature? When I first used packs with MFR in it, newbies would always ask "Wut happenz wen sludge gets full?". Back then it was just nothing, but it seems intuitive for something bad to happen when the sludge level gets too high, even total newbies expect it.

Frankly I think the effect shouldn't be a slow down, but it should create a random sludge source block in it's vicinity maybe even totally pop making a puddle of sludge for hard mode.

Reactions: rhn

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
I thought the harvester would just stop working when the sludge tank filled in 1.6.4. Either way, I'm not opposed to more serious consequences of sludge build-up. Poisoning your food is a good first step. Reducing crop yields and potentially destroying the field are also possibilities. Seriously, how hard is it to deal with? If you're going to have consequences, make me actually pay attention to them.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
The first problem with sludge having consequences is that it is way to easy to deal with, set down a void pipe and you don't have to deal with it anymore.

That being said I really like the idea of sludge having consequences but right now its way to easy to get rid of it anyway.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
True, but if its going to be there, it might as well do *something*. Right now, it is simply a reason to build a void pipe. I would prefer the sludge boiler from a design standpoint, and in standalone MFR (let's not forget most mods are coded in a vanilla vacuum), you would have to deal with it somehow. If the sludge boiler gave me the option to choose in the GUI what it was producing, I would make it happily every world.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
But why would you ever run mfr alone. Does it even have a stable generator? Because if it doesn't the first mod that I would add is buildcraft and oh look the void pipe is back.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Not to belittle you, but this is why one would play the mod alone. To learn what it is and what it can do on its own merit. This knowledge can then be added into the mixed mod bag and exploited for maximum gains.

In short, one BioReactor can output enough Biofuel to run 7 BioFuel Generators. In the infinity pack, they produce 160rf/t each. They power planter/harvester combo to grow plants to be turned into Biofuel, with plenty of power to spare.

That power can be spent on a Fertilizer, being fed fertilizer made in a Composter from waste from your animal farm which is also powered and bred and slaughtered by MFR. Viciously powerful circuit.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
In other words, they should just remove the sludge mechanic altogether and be done with it for good. LOL
I can't resist teasing you a little bit because you suggest removing a mechanic due to it being relatively unknown :p

A better solution obviously is to provide better feedback to the player. For instance an "efficiency" rating in the gui, or different particles emitting from the block, or a strange noise.

Reactions: rhn and lenscas

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
I'm all for the harvester shutting down, overdrawing power, or even melting into scrap (I draw the line before crater, BTW). Just make me do something to acknowledge the mechanic exists.

Edit: You're not wrong, Pyure. There should be some way to determine why these things are happening from a player perspective.

Perhaps tying efficiency directly to the internal sludge tank would be a good idea. At 0%, tank is empty and harvester runs full speed. At 50%, tank is half full and harvester is half speed. At 100%, tanks is full and harvester is stopped. Since it would be Ru ming slower as the tank fulled, it would take longer to reach 100% from 50% than 50% from 0%.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pyure