mfr harvesters extremely slow (infinity)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
so now that we know what we want it to do how are we going to prevent the void pipe

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
so now that we know what we want it to do how are we going to prevent the void pipe
Do you mean we the player, or we the dev?

As a player, we can either use the sludge or void it, there's no alternatives if you want the machine to work properly.

As a dev, I'd probably have to consider raising the value of the output from the sludge boiler.

Reactions: Inaeo

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Its not so much as prevent the void pipe - if people just want to void it, that's their prerogative. The key to me is making processing sludge worthwhile while making keeping it in the harvester a detriment. Use both positive and negative reinforcement to achieve a justified use for a waste resource.

Edit: I have my server owner checking the MFR configs to see if Sludge Boiler outputs are whitelist. If so, he will be removing the BoP blocks, and I will once again be boiling my sludge.

Last edited:

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
so we have a few options
lowering the cost of using the sludge either by less power or less expensive recepie(lower power probably not going to help)
removing the poison when it works(not that much fun)
or buffing the outcome
or an combination of the above.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
removing the poison when it works(not that much fun)
I think almost everyone can figure out how to remotely cut the power of the Sludge boiler before going near it. Simple solution is a cheap Energy Cell and a Lever. If you have 2 brain cells to rub together you could easily set it up to also trigger doors as well so it becomes impossible to enter the area before it is turned off.

Removing complexity from any mod is not the way forward...

Chaka

FTB Team
Mod Developer
Retired Staff
Dec 24, 2013
New Jersey
On my setup, I have a bc2 fluid void pipe on it. So that just instantly voids all sludge.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
The sludge mechanic simply doesn't make sense. Why is a Harvester building up "sludge" while it harvest my wheat, trees and cotton? And then to make the Sludge Boiler cause harm to the player if you come close while it's operating... well that just adds to the silliness of it all. But I guess I take this game too seriously sometimes, so maybe it's my own problem and not the mod's problem. LOL

The one time I did go ahead and "do things the right way" and made a Sludge processing setup, I found the rate of dirt and clay I was getting out of it was so low that I've never bothered with it from that point forward. I was getting something like 4 clay per hour which meant I could collect more clay by searching for it on foot and digging it by hand.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
The sludge mechanic simply doesn't make sense. Why is a Harvester building up "sludge" while it harvest my wheat, trees and cotton? And then to make the Sludge Boiler cause harm to the player if you come close while it's operating... well that just adds to the silliness of it all. But I guess I take this game too seriously sometimes, so maybe it's my own problem and not the mod's problem. LOL
I think its really easy to envision a harvester building up sludge. Particularly since harvesting typically means keeping some stuff and tossing away chaff you don't care about. Add liquid to the system as any part of the processing and you get "sludge".

Reactions: Chaka

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013

The one time I did go ahead and "do things the right way" and made a Sludge processing setup, I found the rate of dirt and clay I was getting out of it was so low that I've never bothered with it from that point forward. I was getting something like 4 clay per hour out of the thing.
Well when you mechanically harvests anything in RL you cannot avoid getting dirt, grime, sap and other unwanted stuff with it as well. This builds up and often you are reluctant to return this to the fields due to disease concerns(these were either part of or very close to the plant. If any plants had any diseases you really don't want to return that to some new random place on the field).

Often you can reuse this waste product if you treat it correctly(for example harvesting potatoes results in a mix of fine dirt and plant bits. You pile this up and "quarantine" it for some years and then it is excellent fertile dirt). But to avoid having a ton of different solutions for each kind of crop it makes sense to just make one "sludge" mechanic.

And as to the Sludge boilers being toxic? Well if you have a mix of dirt and organic parts which you "boil" to separate out dirt, sand and clay, you might expect getting all kinds of toxic vapours. First of all there is always a trace of heavy metals in all things, then there is all kinds of nasty things produced if you break apart organic matter but doesn't completely burn it down(SOX, NOX groups for example. These are for example produced a lot if you burn wood but doesn't burn off all of the gasses. And in the atmosphere these groups then create what is commonly known as acid rain).

All in all I find the science behind the Sludge mechanics pretty solid tbh. (within MC limitations)

Reactions: Inaeo and Pyure

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
-snip-

The one time I did go ahead and "do things the right way" and made a Sludge processing setup, I found the rate of dirt and clay I was getting out of it was so low that I've never bothered with it from that point forward. I was getting something like 4 clay per hour which meant I could collect more clay by searching for it on foot and digging it by hand.

If you have a single harvester running on a 9x9 wheat field, then sure, you're only getting a bit of sludge, and that is boiling down into a variety of things. This makes your return of a single material inconsequential.

On our server, we have dedicated 3x3 plots of each Pam's Harvestcraft and vanilla crop (all Agricraft to the max). That's a boatload of harvesters working simultaneously at an impressive rate of growth. Separate harvesters gather Oreberries from individual farms per type. All of that sludge is being voided currently, but may soon be ender tanked to a boiler facility for useful production. Having a 2^3 block of boilers plowing through the sludge will not be a snail's pace.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
If you have a single harvester running on a 9x9 wheat field, then sure, you're only getting a bit of sludge, and that is boiling down into a variety of things. This makes your return of a single material inconsequential.

On our server, we have dedicated 3x3 plots of each Pam's Harvestcraft and vanilla crop (all Agricraft to the max). That's a boatload of harvesters working simultaneously at an impressive rate of growth. Separate harvesters gather Oreberries from individual farms per type. All of that sludge is being voided currently, but may soon be ender tanked to a boiler facility for useful production. Having a 2^3 block of boilers plowing through the sludge will not be a snail's pace.
Inspired by all this talk about Sludge I actually just changed all my Harvesters to export the Sludge into my ME network(1.6 TPPI) and it is enough to keep one sludge boiler running constantly and the second one toggling on at peak moments.

Just posted about it in my showcase thread:
http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/thr...ide-collection-etc.42664/page-39#post-1121132

It have been running less than 5-10 hours while I have no account of Dirt, Sand, Clay and Soul Sand produced(it simply goes into my already set up preformatted ME storage), I now have 2500+ Mud Balls, 70ish Mycelium, 350 Hardened Dirt and Sand, 400 Dried Dirt, 250 Peat which I did not have before.

Last edited:
Reactions: Inaeo