MC 1.12 is out, Forgecraft has a first release

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
How long will it be until we see packs for 1.12? Who will be the first to harness a flock of Parrots into a flying harness?

Enquiring minds wish to be informed. :D

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I heard 1.12 was going to me the new 1.7.10 because of massive changes in 1.13

Where did you hear that? Last I had heard it was the complete opposite. I have zero official sources, though, so I'm curious if anyone has a decent source either way?

Edit: I'd really like a good stopping point, TBH. We can add more colorful things with mods. All we needed were these performance upgrades and better functionality. I'd rather give the modders time to make inspired mods, nit constantly have to keep updating for each version.

MrMonsterGuy18

Oct 3, 2016
The Grave
Where did you hear that? Last I had heard it was the complete opposite. I have zero official sources, though, so I'm curious if anyone has a decent source either way?

Edit: I'd really like a good stopping point, TBH. We can add more colorful things with mods. All we needed were these performance upgrades and better functionality. I'd rather give the modders time to make inspired mods, nit constantly have to keep updating for each version.

I think it was reddit

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I heard 1.12 was going to me the new 1.7.10 because of massive changes in 1.13

The last I heard officially from Mojang was that new versions will be minor game additions until 1.17 or so, Nothing major to break things.

From the tweets I saw from the Forgecraft team at the beginning of June it looks like next game-breaker will be Java 1.9.

Last edited:

Quetzi

Jack of All Trades
Retired Staff
Aug 20, 2012
quetzi.tv
The big changes we were expecting in 1.12 have been pushed back to 1.13. All signs are pointing to 1.12 being the next 'plateau' and devs should be looking to move to it as soon as Forge is ready.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
For clarification, are you expecting this plateau to last longer than 1.10?

Quetzi

Jack of All Trades
Retired Staff
Aug 20, 2012
quetzi.tv
Yep. 1.10 -> 1.11 -> 1.12 were/are fairly straightforward updates for most mods.

M

Migmag789

Cool ! But the Minecraft Forge 1.12 are unstable.
In August I think Forge will be stable, why not the Forgecraft after all. But if it is so that the 1.13 so barely two months after, I see not too much interest because the 1.11.2 is a version already very complete, it will soon quickly surpass the 1.10.2. At least I think, it's not going to be like the 1.7 which is currently still played a lot, then personally I see no difference between 1.12 and 1.4.7, just a few differences. I prefer to play in 1.4.7, in this case. But this is just an example, after that can be 1.6.4 as the 1.7.10, for me Minecraft has no age x)
As long as we are modded at least.

Reddis

Jul 29, 2019
Admittedly, I don't know anything about the development side of Minecraft, but from one player's perspective, the game is so easy to update these days that there will be no plateau. It looks like people will just keep improving and improving.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Cool ! But the Minecraft Forge 1.12 are unstable.
In August I think Forge will be stable, why not the Forgecraft after all. But if it is so that the 1.13 so barely two months after, I see not too much interest because the 1.11.2 is a version already very complete, it will soon quickly surpass the 1.10.2. At least I think, it's not going to be like the 1.7 which is currently still played a lot, then personally I see no difference between 1.12 and 1.4.7, just a few differences. I prefer to play in 1.4.7, in this case. But this is just an example, after that can be 1.6.4 as the 1.7.10, for me Minecraft has no age x)
As long as we are modded at least.

Forgecraft for 1.12 has only been out for a couple of days... Of course it's unstable now. I think it took maybe two weeks to stabilize 1.11, for cryin' out loud :D

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
If I'm running Beyond (1.5.3) on 1.10.2 world now, if every mod gets updated to 1.12, would I be able to upgrade without losing my world?

zBob

Jul 29, 2019
If I'm running Beyond (1.5.3) on 1.10.2 world now, if every mod gets updated to 1.12, would I be able to upgrade without losing my world?

Why ask a question that can't be answered? All the mods will need to be updated and then this can be tested in beta versions of the pack.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Why ask a question that can't be answered? All the mods will need to be updated and then this can be tested in beta versions of the pack.

I'm asking in theory, not for specifics. Is it a common thing to migrate a world in this scenario or no? What is it that prevents it? Is it the minecraft version or is it just about the mods?

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I'm asking in theory, not for specifics. Is it a common thing to migrate a world in this scenario or no? What is it that prevents it? Is it the minecraft version or is it just about the mods?

It depends on:

1) How much things need to change just to get the mods to work properly between MC versions.
2) How many mods actually update to the new version without changing functionality.
3) What kind of things change in a given mod when it is updated. Things could theoretically be added or removed and not have an effect on a particular world, but then again, the opposite happens.

Basically, it's a "Try it and see if it works" situation. Remember, at one point the Forgecraft server was running 1.8, then they updated to 1.10 MC without changing the mods... All the mods kept working with TiCo's hammer not breaking 3x3 blocks as the only issue IIRC.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
OK, ty.

I'm going to take that, at least for my purposes, as "no, it's not worth the hassle" :p

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
OK, ty.

I'm going to take that, at least for my purposes, as "no, it's not worth the hassle" :p

Keep in mind that since that Forge server it's apparently been easier to upgrade mods to the new version... Many of the changed mods are because the developer decided to take a moment and clean up coding while updating from 1.7 to 1.10 or newer or have skipped 1.10 all together.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
The more I think about it, I think by the time things really get stable, it will probably be time to start a new world with a fresh pack anyway. I'm just concerned about breaking something and not realizing it until 3 months later or whatever. I was mostly just wondering if this was a common thing and I was overthinking it, but it seems like I was.. um. exactly thinking it? lol You know what I mean.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
If anyone overthinks it, it's me... I delete my world(s) and start fresh even for a simple pack version change :D