Making a Massive Lake

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

BarningOwls

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, I just had a weird idea. I could transform the floor beneath the water in obsidian and THEN blast it. Then remove the obsidian?

BarningOwls

Jul 29, 2019
Thankfully you can't see that.

Welll... you kinda can. I thought about leaving it, but then I considered at least transforming it into a dark colored block.

I may end up leaving it like that in some spots, but theres a bunch of the lake I need dive-able.

BarningOwls

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, so, my system as of right now is: I'm using the quarries powered by redstone energy cells. I first clear the land with turtles, then transform the ground, then melt it with wrath lamps, then quarry.

I'm gonna have to air brush the edges of course. But I think this might work.

ThemsAllTook

Jul 29, 2019
What kind of program are you using??? I've wanted to know how to make turtles pave and lay blocks for ages!

Custom written. Apparently breaking a turtle in creative mode doesn't give it back to you properly even if it's labeled, so I lost the script, but it was something along these lines:

Code:
selectedIndex = 1
left = false
turtle.select(selectedIndex)
turtle.placeDown()

while true do
  while turtle.forward() do
    turtle.placeDown()
    if turtle.getItemCount(selectedIndex) == 0 then
      selectedIndex = selectedIndex + 1
      if selectedIndex > 16 then
        error("Out of water blocks!")
      end
      turtle.select(selectedIndex)
    end
  end
  if left then
    turtle.turnLeft()
  else
    turtle.turnRight()
  end
  if not turtle.forward() then
    break
  end
  turtle.placeDown()
  if left then
    turtle.turnLeft()
  else
    turtle.turnRight()
  end
  left = not left
end

Not very well put together - I was doing it quick and dirty for testing. For real usage, you'd want to count the number of blocks traveled rather than just turn around after hitting something, attack mobs if they get in your way (assuming a turtle with something it can use to attack), check if it's out of items after the second placeDown(), etc.

xSINZx

Jul 29, 2019
I hate water and Lava...Its just weird in Minecraft. If you go one block below the level of ground and build a layer there with air below it. Place water on all blocks until you have a smooth surface and then dig out the layer. Theoretically all water source blocks should fall to the bottom filling the lake?

Ako_the_Builder

Jul 29, 2019
Dig out your hole, then use a filler make a 1 block thick floor at surface -1. Fill surface with water (you're in creative so just spam water source blocks util it's all smooth). Use filler again to clear the 1 block floor and your lake will be full of water.

DarkJDL

Jul 29, 2019
here's my "idea"

Fill out your lake (or start new)
dig one layer for all of your lake (making a plan?)
place water in such manner
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
Then dig the lower layers and fill in the "weird edges" of your pattern (IE you don't want a "square lake" since it would look weird)
use a machine to clear the lake's layer the way you want (or do it manually to make it better if you're good at designs)

might seem like a long process, but that manner of placing the water will make it duplicate itself for all the area of the square (it's fun if you end at the connecting corner and watch it proceed)

edit

Dig out your hole, then use a filler make a 1 block thick floor at surface -1. Fill surface with water (you're in creative so just spam water source blocks util it's all smooth). Use filler again to clear the 1 block floor and your lake will be full of water.

Pssssh, the fact I wrote more details made me come second with the idea by only 4 minutes, tsssssss.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
as previously said, rp2 pump. as for water supply:
1 you`ll need 2 deployers, 2 filters, and a timer, few buckets, alloy wire and tubes.
2 make an infinite water source (3 water source blocks in line
3 put deployer near middle water source block with some buckets in it
4 attach a 1st filter to a deployer and put a filled bucket in it
5 put a second deployer so it could put a water bucket near pumps grate. and connect 1st filter to it so filter would send filled buckets to 2nd deployer
6 then attach 2nd filter to 2nd deployer with empty bucket in it, so it would send empty buckets to 1st deployer
7 wire it all up, and place a timer
8 wait.

Ako_the_Builder

Jul 29, 2019
here's my "idea"

x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
Then dig the lower layers and fill in the "weird edges" of your pattern (IE you don't want a "square lake" since it would look weird)
use a machine to clear the lake's layer the way you want (or do it manually to make it better if you're good at designs)

might seem like a long process, but that manner of placing the water will make it duplicate itself for all the area of the square (it's fun if you end at the connecting corner and watch it proceed)

edit

Pssssh, the fact I wrote more details made me come second with the idea by only 4 minutes, tsssssss.

hehe :D

It's a good plan, still I'd dig out the hole first with no water then add the floor and 1 layer of water as working under water is a pita! :)

Memorian

Jul 29, 2019
Cant the RP pump take water from RC/xycraft tanks? use the xycraft water block to keep it filled and then you have infinite water

ApSciLiara

Jul 29, 2019
Cant the RP pump take water from RC/xycraft tanks? use the xycraft water block to keep it filled and then you have infinite water
It should be able to work, yes. RP2's fluid pipes should be able to interact with any liquid containers.

Sent from my phone using black magic

tehBlobLord

Jul 29, 2019
What kind of program are you using??? I've wanted to know how to make turtles pave and lay blocks for ages!

My lua is a bit rusty, but something along the lines of

turtle.placeDown()
turtle.goForward() (I can't remember the real name for this command, whichever one makes him go forward)
end

And then loop that x times.

Moezso

Jul 29, 2019
Custom written. Apparently breaking a turtle in creative mode doesn't give it back to you properly even if it's labeled, so I lost the script, but it was something along these lines:
That's weird, they break fine for me in creative (a labeled turtle keeps it's programs and fuel level). They don't get used when I place one either, so I can program one turtle, fuel it, then pick it up again and place it infinitely, duplicating the programmed/fueled turtle indefinitely.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
That's weird, they break fine for me in creative (a labeled turtle keeps it's programs and fuel level). They don't get used when I place one either, so I can program one turtle, fuel it, then pick it up again and place it infinitely, duplicating the programmed/fueled turtle indefinitely.
This was something which was added in CC 1.52 IIRC. So if you're using it on 1.5.1 that'd be why.

Reactions: dgdas9

BarningOwls

Jul 29, 2019
here's my "idea"

x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x

edit

Can you explain this to me a little more?

BarningOwls

Jul 29, 2019
Submerged ice blocks are invisible.

They are definitely visible
godamnit.png

hotblack desiato

Jul 29, 2019
hmmm

1. set up a quarry at max size.
let it remove one layer of the surface.
2. take water source blocks and fill the border with water.

it should look like this (x = waterblock, 0 = nothing

XXXXXXXXXXX
X00000000000
X00000000000
X00000000000
X00000000000

the source blocks will automatically regenerate through the whole mine

let the quarry remove another layer

repeat step 2.

this way the quarry is evenly filled with source blocks down to your desired dept of the lake.

then fill the border and the floor with dirt and clay, as you wish, so it looks natural.

EDIT: is there any way to get worldedit to work with FTB?

if yes, the task is much easier. set up the shape of your lake. place a water block at the height where you want to have your lake. type //fixwater into the chatwindow. boom the lake is full of water.

EDIT2: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1581728-how-to-install-worldedit-on-a-feed-the-beast-serve2r/