Magic Farm 2 venting and advice thread

CaseyRobinson

Jul 29, 2019
Is anyone else stupid-crazy enough to be playing this on hardcore? I'm usually able to not starve and get up to bronze tools, but trips deep underground get me every time. And hungry nodes... gotta hate the hungry nodes.

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
just saw my first hunger nodes... in the nether. How are people collecting or mining these things up? As soon as you are close enough to do something, you're screwed.

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013
just saw my first hunger nodes... in the nether. How are people collecting or mining these things up? As soon as you are close enough to do something, you're screwed.
Collect it. Put it in a little obsidian box and feed it high essential count items and get a god tier node

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
how? as soon as your close enough to place obby blocks, your sucked in and you die.

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
hmmm... seems like this is a good way to go about it...
screw apples and just go for potions, pearls, and the 2 wands...

Like a boss...

Kurodani Yamame

Jul 29, 2019
Oh! Magic Farm 2 things? Well, let's see...

I added a bunch of mods, and updated others, adding a bunch of dungeons and more magic things, as well as Buildcraft so I can get the Forestry things working...

The name is MAGIC farm, and to me, Thaumcraft alone isn't much magic, so I tossed in Ars Magicka 2 and Chocolate Quest...

Bleh, you know what the WORST is? those Walker Kings in Chocolate Quest... ESPECALLY one with Regen or Lifesteal. they take like no damage, the only way to kill them is to hammer on them until their armor breaks, and even then you're using more of your weapon's durability than you can spare. Thank goodness for Primal Focus, that little thing has saved me so much hell, as well as a Mark/Recall combo over a long drop. that armor don't work so well against fall damage.

Starting out has always been difficult, got my best start yet though, actually managed to do something, in a Fen, next to a Silkglades, in front of one of Chocolate's Dungeons. Ended up tearing the entire dungeon down and using the bricks to make a small fortress-like house, well worth the trouble. I have screenshots of my current setup saved on my dropbox.

I find myself using Apple Jelly sandwiches for food primarily, they restore a lot, and apples are everywhere it seems, thanks to all of the chests.

O a little question: How the heck do I mine Cobalt and Ardite ores? my Bronze Hammer won't mine either of them. :(

loboca

Jul 29, 2019
Anyone know if the Wand Focus: Dislocation is disabled in MF2? Reading through all the threads I think I should have unlocked it by now (learning wand focus: Equal Trade, from here)

Kurodani Yamame

Jul 29, 2019
Welcome :)

Also, bit of an oddity, but does anyone here have any advice about Blood Magic? like when is it safe to start it, do you think?

loboca

Jul 29, 2019
When you have another good way of active healing / regeneration. Ars Magica is great for that (tho its not in MF2). If you find a good healing method, post it please. (I haven't found any melons for healing potions yet.. sigh). If you don't have another healing method, you'll have to wait for your health to recover soooo slowwww.

Kurodani Yamame

Jul 29, 2019
Kill mobs, the Red hearts, when eaten, restore 10 hearts. the Yellows fully heal you. you can also increase your maximum health by 20 additional hearts. if you add Ars Magica and Chocolate Quest, you can get access to a few more yellow hearts, but be prepared for some SERIOUS issues with getting through some of those dungeons, especially with Walkers involved. I've found myself using Ars Magicka only for the Ender Aspect, as i find myself needing coal for things that aren't torches. it's just a bit of an issue in water or sunlight.

CaseyRobinson

Jul 29, 2019
Just lost my best hardcore attempt to date this morning. I'm not quite sure what happened, so I don't know what I can do to prepare for it in the future.

I was pretty deep in a giant cave system when I met an infernal skeleton thief. He was pretty annoying, so I tried to catch him on a corner and zap him with my shock focus without taking fire back. After the first zap he disappeared and I couldn't find him in anywhere nearby. So that was fine with me, I wasn't really looking forward to fighting with him anyway. I just wanted more diamonds. A couple minutes later I'm exploring a branch of mine with a single block gap at the end leading to a larger chamber. I start to dig the stone to make that gap big enough for me and suddenly things are exploding all around me. Multiple TNT sized explosions from the sound of it. I don't remember the exact epitaph, but I do remember a skeleton thief (or the other way around) got credit for it. So what the heck happened?

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
I think I've figured out how I'm going to power everything using the food challenge configs. I'm going to run the whole thing off grapes!

Growthcraft grapes to be exact. One golem with enough upgrades can harvest 16 grape vines. With 2 water upgrades and the spectacles, it will harvest in a 7 block radius from its home. That is enough to harvest an entire row of grapes from two plants (14 blocks--the golem will harvest 15 blocks total.) In a 15x16 area, you can fit in 16 grape vines. They grow at a pretty decent rate, so should be able to give a decent amount of power.. 40RF/tick for 6 seconds I believe (when made into grape salad). I have a feeling that the grapes will grow faster than my little golem can harvest, but we will see. I used a flesh golem because of the above average speed. One could probably use an advanced golem and add in a speed upgrade and the bowtie (I think that one is the speed upgrade) to make it a bit faster.

With the culinary generator, and grapes, you get 20RF/tick for 9 seconds. or 40RF/tick for 6 seconds if you use grape salad. The higher food tiers give higher RF/tick. However, looking at the total energy produced, the basic grapes give 540RF total (3 grapes needed to make 1 grape salad) and a grape salad only gives 240RF total. Using a bank of culinary generators is the best way to maximize the total power output as each generator's output would only be 20RF/tick.

We will see how all this turns out...

Playing AS - I originally ran my Vanilla + Harvestcraft crops [70 crops over 13 9x9 plots / 11 Planters + 12 Harvester + Fruit Picker (for Cocoa)] off 5 Culinary Gennys all running off Grilled Mushrooms with plenty of energy to spare. 100RF/t with each grilled mushroom lasting all of 2 secs. I'm switching over to Bacon Mushroom Cheeseburgers [if I can get the stuffed itemduct issues solved w/o resorting to AE]. Notice this doesn't include any of Harvestcraft's trees yet. And all without any animal byproducts!

Side note: Harvestcraft's Presser is fed by the sides and emptied from the bottom. Inupt = sides / Output = bottom. I had no luck getting anything to enter the block through the top face.

Yukihime

Jul 29, 2019
Ok I know that the watering can should be in extra utilities and I've searched the tab and in the NEI and I still don't find it it should still be here since it was in a previous MF version I played before it was taken off. Also WHY AREN'T MY FRUIT TREES GROWING!? They're outside spaced out and having sunlight!

loboca

Jul 29, 2019
Think some trees need to be in their proper biomes to grow. tho I don't know where a list of which trees grow in which biomes is.