Mage Quest's Feedback and Discussion thread

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Bashful Giant

Jul 29, 2019
Suggestion: either remove AromaBackup or FTB Utilities. I suggest Utilities because the Wilderness/Spawn Area popup is annoying and I don't think it can be turned off...

Edit (another suggestion): can the Thaumcraft initiation quest be made to accept any two shards instead of those two in specific? It's a bit hard to find any specific shard without the aid of a quarry...

Apparently, there was an occasional bug on release where FTB Utilities has corrupt backups. As a result, I included both mods. Since Utilities is a FTb mod, I'm sure I can talk to the mod Dev and see if he can include the option to turn off the pop ups in future, but I'm afraid it's going to be a staple mod for our packs from now on.

On the plus side- it's adding a chunk loader feature soon, which this pack kinda desperately needs now it has a server version!

Reactions: Ashendale

Ashendale

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for all the hard work and for contacting the Dev. Now to see if I can get into server play.

V

Viperion

I am having an absolute blast with this pack. I've been avoiding magic mods but the HQM's in this pack are just enough of a push in the right direction to keep me on track and stop getting lost :)

I've read this thread and add my voice to the "can we have a bag/pouch/backpack" crowd - I'm on 1.2 and can't find one. Does the (still Beta) 1.3 pack have one?

Cheers
Viperion

Bashful Giant

Jul 29, 2019
I am having an absolute blast with this pack. I've been avoiding magic mods but the HQM's in this pack are just enough of a push in the right direction to keep me on track and stop getting lost :)

I've read this thread and add my voice to the "can we have a bag/pouch/backpack" crowd - I'm on 1.2 and can't find one. Does the (still Beta) 1.3 pack have one?

Cheers
Viperion
The bags unfortunately caused waaaaaay too many bugs to be fixed. I probably should have replaced that mod in 1.3 :/ But unfortunately, it does not. It DOES have a form of gravestones now. I'll pester @tfox83 (cough) to move it to stable. Coulda sworn it had been done by now, but I run my client in Alpha mode.

Oh. and more Blood Magic quests. Glad you enjoyed the pack!

M

MiriDew

Any word on when the Botania quest line will be fixed? I have kind of lost my will to play knowing i cannot complete the quest line i have been working so hard on</3

Edit- The reputations still come as rewards also is there any way to turn off the witch hunters? They spawn even on half slabs and anything normal mobs dont spawn on and im trapped in my house getting killed repeatedly and they even spawn in my house and i dont know what to do.. does anyone have tips? (I'm a vampire)

Last edited:

Bashful Giant

Jul 29, 2019
Any word on when the Botania quest line will be fixed? I have kind of lost my will to play knowing i cannot complete the quest line i have been working so hard on</3

Edit- The reputations still come as rewards also is there any way to turn off the witch hunters? They spawn even on half slabs and anything normal mobs dont spawn on and im trapped in my house getting killed repeatedly and they even spawn in my house and i dont know what to do.. does anyone have tips? (I'm a vampire)

I *think* i fixed Botania in the 1.3.0 version. *think*. It was a while ago. I can't remember if I removed reps though.

As for tips... Annie, get your gun.

V

Viperion

Oh speaking of reputation; I have a few reputation bits of paper but the reputation part of the quest book is empty; is there something I need to do to cash in those reputation letters?

Bashful Giant

Jul 29, 2019
Oh speaking of reputation; I have a few reputation bits of paper but the reputation part of the quest book is empty; is there something I need to do to cash in those reputation letters?

They're remnants of a removed feature. There was originally bigger plans, with quests gated behind rep gateways. But it was scrapped, in favor of a new plan of gating the quests behind other quests... which was eventually scrapped (along with further quests) due to a number of reasons, partly the surprisingly large time it took such a large group of people to write quests.

Seriously, once we got the quests in the book (which was no mean feat, with me personally pulling several all-nighters to learn and complete the Witchery questline once it became apparent that with days before the planned release, the original writers had vanished, leaving nothing but breadcrumbs), a third of the original team left, Jadedcat, left, I found myself in charge and then had so much personal junk, I went missing for about two months. Others tried to step in, and failed.Looking back, the team was WAAAY too big. We originally had about 2 quest writers per chapter in the book of varying quality and putting various amounts of effort into them, and not all saw eye to eye.

Don't get me wrong. What we have in the pack is great. It works, and gets people who may know nothing about magical mods started down the right path for setting up some cool bases themed around a particular (or couple of) mod(s). It's just that if the original plan - of an RPG-style playing one house off against another, rep based rivalry storyline that'd cater for players of all skills, had panned out, then this had the potential to have been a truly epic pack.

Well, this post turned into more of an eulogy of Mage Quest than I planned. So I'd better list some key points of what went well, and not so well with this pack. Modpack creators, listen up!

Positive
  • Lightweight
  • Good beginning for new players to Magical packs/mods
  • Varying styles of writing in the same modpack
  • Quest structure - Clear and easy to follow paths
  • No "grindy" quests
  • No gating quests behind tedious requirements. (Except for the Cow Quest. You know the one if you've played the pack)
  • Pop culture references! Oh so many pop culture references. Most of them relevant.
  • Mostly funny AND relevant quest descriptions and instructions
  • The theming of each "house" to an individual deity, culture or religion is something I personally really enjoyed. ESPECIALLY from a writing point of view. I read so much Norse mythology in one week to write those Witchery quests, I swear my flatmates thought I had issues.
Negative
  • Way too big a team. NEVER have 13 writers working on the same pack. My main takeaway point from this project.
  • Lacked focus. Too many people with too many different visions for the pack
  • Too big in scale - We had a vision that takes some game designers literally years to flesh out. I kid you not, at one point, I was tempted to use string.
    heroes3.jpg
  • Lacked a strong leader for most of the time (hint- I led them for quite a while after Jaded left. That says enough:p)
  • Slow to release updates - again, I'll take the fall for this. Most, if not all of the newer releases were compiled by me after Jaded left
  • Never fulfilled half the promises it made
  • Varying quality of quests
Will there ever be another quest based pack from the FTB team? Only time will tell. But I know that I at least will learn from the lessons we've learned from the pack.

Last edited:
V

Viperion

WOW what a reply! :D First things first:
They're remnants of a removed feature. There was originally bigger plans, with quests gated behind rep gateways. But it was scrapped, in favor of a new plan of gating the quests behind other quests... which was eventually scrapped (along with further quests) due to a number of reasons, partly the surprisingly large time it took such a large group of people to write quests.
Sweet. I'll burn 'em up in the Alchemical Furnace :D

(everything else which I won't quote to save space except: )
Don't get me wrong. What we have in the pack is great. It works, and gets people who may know nothing about magical mods started down the right path for setting up some cool bases themed around a particular (or couple of) mod(s)
100x this. I've stayed away from Magic mods for the longest time because they seem HELLA complicated, but this pack and questlines are awesome and give me just the right push in the right directions to progress through.

You do say:
No "grindy" quests
which isn't strictly true (getting all the things together to make all five of the Thaumcraft tools took me AGES and a lot of what I'd classify as grinding), but generally, this is true.

tl;dr - I love this pack. I love the tone, I love the quests, I love (most of) the mods included. I have a few requests for updates but it's clear from your post that it's probably on it's last release (which is fine by me)

Pat yourself (and the surviving members of the team) on the back :D

Reactions: Bashful Giant
J

JericoHardstyle

Just started playing the pack on single player but it is just so laggy. It is almost unplayable. About once a second there is lag. My system is grand, I am able to play packs with upto 200 mods installed no problem. Has anyone else had this problem and how can i fix it?

V

Viperion

I had that experience with one of my worlds; it turned out it was due to a Hungry Node (from Thaumcraft) right at spawn eating the spawn chunk o_O. If you have commands enabled, try giving yourself some Goggles of Revealing and if there's a Node there punch it dead :)

P

PrometheusUnbound

Yeah, hungry nodes can be annoying if they turn up at just the wrong moment. I personally find them system intensive if i am near either a jungle or Magical Forest. But at the same time, there is something hypnotic about watching them slowly eat away at everything around you.

Just wanna say that i love this mod. I play it day in day out right now. It has become my replacement MC. But...
How well does this pack do with mods added to it using the edit button in the launcher? I have seen one or two mods from other FTB mod-packs that i felt would fit the theme.

Thanks,
PU

Reactions: Bashful Giant

Bashful Giant

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, hungry nodes can be annoying if they turn up at just the wrong moment. I personally find them system intensive if i am near either a jungle or Magical Forest. But at the same time, there is something hypnotic about watching them slowly eat away at everything around you.

Just wanna say that i love this mod. I play it day in day out right now. It has become my replacement MC. But...
How well does this pack do with mods added to it using the edit button in the launcher? I have seen one or two mods from other FTB mod-packs that i felt would fit the theme.

Thanks,
PU
Pretty well. It's just removing mods that's a pain. Especially if it's involved in a quest. Or even if we're just hijacking an item for the quest marker.

Edit- mods that alter the core mechnaics of any other mods that are included in the pack might also break the pack. But if you're not too fussed with the quests, just uninstall hqm to fix that. I won't be bitter. Much

Reactions: PrometheusUnbound
P

PrometheusUnbound

Pretty well. It's just removing mods that's a pain. Especially if it's involved in a quest. Or even if we're just hijacking an item for the quest marker.

Edit- mods that alter the core mechnaics of any other mods that are included in the pack might also break the pack. But if you're not too fussed with the quests, just uninstall hqm to fix that. I won't be bitter. Much
Thanks for the reply. The only things i intend to add are cosmetic, and as far as i know, should not interfere with anything to do with the quests. Which, by the way, I love. The wording is nothing short of perfect in my opinion. Each school/house has its own character, and it really shows in the writing. And the humour is well placed. I cant pick a favourite, but I would say that the blood magic quest characters make me chuckle the most. With House Pahrmicon coming in a close second there because the character makes me grin.

Giantawesomemeep

Jul 29, 2019
I have downloaded and reinstalled the mage quest multiple times and every time There is no reputation at all, can someone tell me how to fix this please?
Ev9B39v.png

QHqVNHX.png

Bashful Giant

Jul 29, 2019
I have downloaded and reinstalled the mage quest multiple times and every time There is no reputation at all, can someone tell me how to fix this please?
Ev9B39v.png

QHqVNHX.png

For some odd reason, images aren't loading for me. But rep was removed in the latest version. I think it's STILL a beta version, but consider it stable.

S

Snowjedi6

I have completed the house elloria initiation, but after the apprentice blood orb, it ends. Is there anymore quests?

Ulfengaard

Jul 29, 2019
Hi there. I thought I would drop by to say that I've been playing this pack for a luuuuongg time. Thanks for the good times. Is there interest still in continuing development at some point? Or is it ongoing now? I see from the thread that there were quite a few plans that couldn't be completed early on.

X

XicoFelipe

Hello. I'm having many issues with the Earthbound Belt from Adventurers Amulets.
1 - It despawns if it's dropped (so if I die it's gone). This didn't happen with the Floral Ring (didn't test with others).
2 - The regeneration affect only works once in every few tries. It keeps using power and the health bar has the visual effect of regeneration, but I'm not being healed. This is specially annoying because I made it just so I could make my level 3 Blood Orb, but if the regeneration stops midway I don't get enough LP to finish it.
3 - Holding Shift (to sneak) while using the belt destroys the block just below the one I'm standing on. Dunno if that's the intended behavior. I guess it's how the "jump and crouch to dig" mechanic was implemented.