Mac mini hd 4000?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

neofrost01

Jul 29, 2019
Hello guys!

I'm thinking of buying a mac mini
What do you think about the performance of mac mini i7 with HD 4000 to play minecraft, can I play any pack over 60 fps with good graphics optifine or its going with lags

Sorry my english :)

Hitmaniac

Jul 29, 2019
I don't think the results are going to be that great. Apple products don't have the greatest specs and aren't meant for gaming.

Lunarknight32

Jul 29, 2019
I have used the mac mini with HD graphics 3000,core i5, and 8 GB ram, and the results aren't spectacular. I struggle to get 30 fps on normal + 64. However, with the i7 and graphics 4000, that should be enough to get you (my rough estimate)about 35 fps or so on far. It won't get you over 60 fps or anything really good, but it will get you something manageable.
If you end up getting this, I would recommend getting 8 GB of RAM instead of 4 GB. I also wouldn't expect anything really good, just something playable.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
well i got an i5 dual with intel hd 3000 and vanilla w/ optifine 40 fps stable on far (fast graphics), maybe the 4000 is better.

neofrost01

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks everybody, I am a little disappointed, the mac mini loocks very nice but the graphics not convince me, I hope find a better option :)

Yuka

Jul 29, 2019
I would recommend an Asus, they are great and quite inexpensive in comparison to others of similar specs.

Reactions: neofrost01

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
I wouldn't recommend anything with Intel HD graphics in it.
Quoted for truth

The bloody thing takes enough space for 4 more cores, yet can't compare to even the cheapest PCIe card. I wish intel would just stop thinking that integrating everything is the way to go with mobile devices.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
I'm thinking of buying a mac mini

images

jnads

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly, I think you'll be fine.

HD4000 isn't great, but it's no slouch. Notebooks, which typically end up being under-clocked, manage 30 FPS on Minecraft. And they're usually not running @ full graphics speed (usually under-clocked due to thermal throttling).

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5771/the-intel-ivy-bridge-core-i7-3770k-review/17

And that's at high-resolution with everything maxed. 25FPS. If you lower the resolution a smidge (1366x768), I bet you'd easily get close to 50 FPS. Not to mention this is an old review, where the drivers were much crappier.

I never play at 1920 x 1080. First, there's no point, it's pixelated Minecraft, and second, I usually play in windowed mode so I can consult the Wikis while playing.

That said, just remember with the Mac Mini you're paying a huge price premium for the small size (and OSX). For the $800 price tag, you could buy TWO of the AMD A8-3870K systems on that link above.

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
I can personally report using a Macbook Pro with an Intel HD card, and it seems to work fine for texture packs up to 128x (with low frame rate in laggy biomes with a 128x texture pack, though, for some reason, trying to apply 128x Thaumcraft textures results in all sorts of weird Thaumcraft graphical glitches and almost no proper rendering of Thaumcraft things) with decent FPS. Whether or not their good is debatable, but they definitely work.

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I think the answer was in the question to begin with...

From what I gathered, the "Mac Mini" are relatively cheap PCs (PC stands for "Personal Computer", that's doesn't have anything to do with the manufacturer or the OS inside, damnit!).
Being cheap, you can't expect it to be a powerful beast.

Also, as pointed above, Mac machines tend to be very optimized for a lot of things that built them for professionals, and as such, it is usually at the expense of the gaming experience.
Intel HD cards are really great for all that is only image editing and such, and still relatively capable for 3D, and they are pretty cheap.
The downside of that is that they usually can't compare to NVidia cards (or other manufacturer that I never remember the name off), even more when you hit the high grade ones.

Great graphics card cost a lot, sadly, so you can't expect a $800 "mac mini" to perform as well as a $2k computer built for gaming.
That, and minecraft doesn't run super well and smooth, even on high end gaming computers. Optifine helps, if well configured, but the fact that it uses Java doesn't help at all.

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
A mac mini costs $800?
According to the list at the MMO-Champion site (scroll down in that post, the list you'll want is close to the end), you can get a decent gaming PC for under $800 (talking about the "Dolphin" configuration).

jnads

Jul 29, 2019
A mac mini costs $800?
According to the list at the MMO-Champion site (scroll down in that post, the list you'll want is close to the end), you can get a decent gaming PC for under $800 (talking about the "Dolphin" configuration).
The i7 configuration is $799. The i5 is $599.

Sometimes you can find refurbs for $499 or $549. But any way you find it, you're paying a $300-500 premium for the size and OS X.

That said, Mac Minis pack A LOT of horsepower in the small size. They are by no means poorly engineered devices.

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
I don't think the results are going to be that great. Apple products don't have the greatest specs and aren't meant for gaming.
That's a silly generalization, especially for minecraft hardware. Yeah the mini has weak integrated video, but it is probably playable, and everything else is going to play mc just fine.

RedFox3k

Jul 29, 2019
If buy a Mac Mini go for the 4GB version and buy 8GB RAM separately. The RAM is pretty easy to swap and it is cheaper.

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
I almost speared myself with the foot of my desk chair when I read the title.

OP, I know other people have already posted, but do consider building yourself a computer. Its like LEGO's for grown ups, easily the most fun thing I have done with technology.

You can even throw a Mac OS on it to make it feel like Mac, but without some of the hardware restrictions. Grab a white case with good airflow and it will even look the part. See the link below for an excellent guide.

http://lifehacker.com/5841604/the-always-up+to+date-guide-to-building-a-hackintosh

Evil Hamster

Jul 29, 2019
For the price of your mac mini, I bought a radeon equipped core i7 8G HP laptop a year ago that runs minecraft just fine. Knowing 30-40% of what I pay isn't going straight into fatcat executive bonuses is a nice feeling as well. Also I'm not supporting a company that steals ideas from other companies, patents them then sues the original inventor & everybody else in the world...