Mac mini hd 4000?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
For the price of your mac mini, I bought a radeon equipped core i7 8G HP laptop a year ago that runs minecraft just fine. Knowing 30-40% of what I pay isn't going straight into fatcat executive bonuses is a nice feeling as well. Also I'm not supporting a company that steals ideas from other companies, patents them then sues the original inventor & everybody else in the world...
While you can definitely get much more bang for your buck buying non-Apple, putting your money in Dell or Toshiba or whoever's till isn't any different than putting it in Apple's. They all steal from each other, they all buy out competitors and startups for their patents, they all sue each other to protect their ideas. And they all use the cheapest labor possible to make their devices.

blaize9

Jul 29, 2019
I would recommend an Asus, they are great and quite inexpensive in comparison to others of similar specs.
Why would you recommend an Asus? It really does not matter what brand but what's inside.

If you want to save money don't buy an apple computer.

Evil Hamster

Jul 29, 2019
While you can definitely get much more bang for your buck buying non-Apple, putting your money in Dell or Toshiba or whoever's till isn't any different than putting it in Apple's. They all steal from each other, they all buy out competitors and startups for their patents, they all sue each other to protect their ideas. And they all use the cheapest labor possible to make their devices.

While I don't disagree with the second half of your statement, the first half is way off. Name any other company that has 1/10th of apples profit margin on such a low volume of sales... The thing apple is truly best at is their marketing department.

What I find REALLY roll-on-the-floor-laughing hilarious is all the whacko liberals (not all liberals, just the extremist whacko ones) who go off on anti-capitalism rants who all LOVE thier iphones, ipads, ipods, etc. Hypocracy at it's best!

Reactions: glepet1962

Yuka

Jul 29, 2019
Why would you recommend an Asus? It really does not matter what brand but what's inside.

If you want to save money don't buy an apple computer.
quite inexpensive in comparison to others of similar specs.

I mean, they're cheap and high quality, not sure why else i could recommend it.
Reliable, Long-lasting perhaps as well, but not entirely sure what you're looking for, may recommend researching Asus PCs, may help more than I can atm.

A friend of mine has an Asus laptop and he's said on many occasions its one of the bests laptops he's had.

Only bad thing I've heard of them is costumer support.

Plus they pretty much make everything themselves for their own and other companies' computers, so they know what they are doing.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
Well, when it comes to buying computers and similar, you need to take into account that the quality of each component may vary from piece to piece.

For example, since we're speaking about assus laptops. A friend of mine received a laptop which was lacking holes for air flow in one of the dividing metal pieces. The thing would cook eggs. He drilled those in himself and is now very happy with it, but it's a good example of how a single users opinion/experience doesn't matter much. Another example, I had 3 different caviar type disks from VD over the years. None of 'em failed me and lasted for years. I only had one Maxtor and I was defective withing a month. Yet another friend still owns a 12 y/o Maxtor which made it trough a house fire.

If you want a real opinion, then ask a technician who works in your local pc store store, ask which of the laptops they're selling has been returned the most.

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
While I don't disagree with the second half of your statement, the first half is way off. Name any other company that has 1/10th of apples profit margin on such a low volume of sales... The thing apple is truly best at is their marketing department.

What I find REALLY roll-on-the-floor-laughing hilarious is all the whacko liberals (not all liberals, just the extremist whacko ones) who go off on anti-capitalism rants who all LOVE thier iphones, ipads, ipods, etc. Hypocracy at it's best!
I actually said non-apple is better bang for your buck.

Quesenek

Jul 29, 2019
if you are looking at getting a mac for gaming I would look for an older one that has a dedicated gpu.
Mine has a core2duo + 9600gt and i can get 60 fps avg on fast + normal without optifine.
However I wouldn't buy a mac for gaming or even for the mac OS, its not even worth wasting your time unless you need to have it for work or school for some reason.

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
Meh, i have a mac and two pcs. I love the mac, it's a rock solid awesome system. It's not my best gaming box, but it is superb at everything I use it for.

So buy what you want and don't listen to the "don't waste your money" crowd... If you can afford a mac and want one, don't worry, just buy one.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
So buy what you want and don't listen to the "don't waste your money" crowd... If you can afford a mac and want one, don't worry, just buy one.

Unless you want to run MineCraft at more than 40FPS in most situations, in which case you are likely best off thinking about alternatives as the Intel HD 4000 is not going to get very good FPS (http://www.anandtech.com/show/5771/the-intel-ivy-bridge-core-i7-3770k-review/17 for reference, if you'd like).

While wanting something, and having the money are nice, it is best to consider as many of the other possibilities and figure out which one best suits your needs. You may want to buy a Dodge Viper, and you may have the money to buy it, but do you have the money to keep it what with insurance costs, fuel costs, upkeep, and the like? Do you also have the need for it when you could get something that would be a lot cheaper in fuel/insurance/upkeep would give you roughly 98% of the same usage, and at a massively lower upfront cost?

It is simple economics that make Apple systems decently unreasonable for most people. That does not stop people from making decisions that are not economically sound, but if logic did that, we'd be in an extremely different world.

Yuka

Jul 29, 2019
Meh, i have a mac and two pcs. I love the mac, it's a rock solid awesome system. It's not my best gaming box, but it is superb at everything I use it for.

My guess is if he's asking about it, he doesn't just want to buy whatever.
Do realize many can't spare the money too often, so a purchase like this actually requires thought by many.

raiju

Jul 29, 2019
I'd go dell. The most important thing when buying PC's if you aren't a real techie yourself who can manage it when something goes wrong, having good tech support is vital. Most places are absolutely terrible with tech support though.

Also if you build an alienware pc without the box, they are cheap. I have an I7-3770, 12gig ram, nvidia 670 (single admittedly, but its a fine card, might be completely wrong on the number though) for about £500. Not sure how that translates into $$$ precisely but I didn't even haggle this as it was a great price. I saw another great price for one with an SSD and crossfire 670 but I didn't feel like stepping it up £200~ just because I all i wanted was in the cheaper model.

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
My guess is if he's asking about it, he doesn't just want to buy whatever.
Do realize many can't spare the money too often, so a purchase like this actually requires thought by many.
Yeah that's been covered ad nauseum, along with "NEVAR BUY A MAC THEY SUCK". Mine is a more general "buy one if you like them". If you read the thread, which I am sure the OP has, even I stated PCs are more performance for your dollar spent. However I like to counter the ridiculous anti-mac posts now and then.

Reactions: Omicron

raiju

Jul 29, 2019
In a gaming context, they do suck. There's nothing else really to it. Saying they're good if you spend more money since you can get better for spending equal money every step of the way...

This isn't a music or photo/video board, and this thread isn't about such topics.

Reactions: Yuka

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
In a gaming context, they do suck. There's nothing else really to it. Saying they're good if you spend more money since you can get better for spending equal money every step of the way...

This isn't a music or photo/video board, and this thread isn't about such topics.
The OP asked if the Mini HD 4000 could play minecraft at 60fps with optifine. It can, do some searching on the interwebs. THAT is the subject, the rest is peripheral.

raiju

Jul 29, 2019
The OP asked if the Mini HD 4000 could play minecraft at 60fps with optifine. It can, do some searching on the interwebs. THAT is the subject, the rest is peripheral.

also said he's thinking of buying it..

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019

Can you please provide some evidence to support your claim that it will be able to run at 60FPS with optifine? I was not able to find anyone able to get an HD4000 over 40FPS even with OptiFine on FTB. Thank you.

Quesenek

Jul 29, 2019
No it can't. I have a i5-3570k overclocked at 4.2GHz and have run minecraft + optifine on the integrated GPU(HD4000) and could hardly get 40 FPS with running everything on fast + short view distance. That was just minecraft. Feed the beast would own the hd 4000 and thats with an overclocked cpu, anything that you could get on an affordable mac couldn't compare to it in terms of speed.

There are reasons that people would buy mac's for but gaming isn't one of them.

Reactions: Guswut

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
No it can't. I have a i5-3570k overclocked at 4.2GHz and have run minecraft + optifine on the integrated GPU(HD4000) and could hardly get 40 FPS with running everything on fast + short view distance. That was just minecraft. Feed the beast would own the hd 4000 and thats with an overclocked cpu, anything that you could get on an affordable mac couldn't compare to it in terms of speed.

There are reasons that people would buy mac's for but gaming isn't one of them.
OK finally someone who has actually tried it on this particular Mac has weighed in. Thank you for testing it on the machine the OP was asking about. Just curious if you switched over to 64bit java as this seems to have made a big difference for the positive reports on said machine+minecraft.[DOUBLEPOST=1361826489][/DOUBLEPOST]
Can you please provide some evidence to support your claim that it will be able to run at 60FPS with optifine? I was not able to find anyone able to get an HD4000 over 40FPS even with OptiFine on FTB. Thank you.
I'm not googling and pasting links for you. I found two instances in about two minutes when i initially checked some forum threads returned by google.