Looking for a community of "old" guys (30+) playing FTB

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

dgeeting

Jul 29, 2019
I am an old guy (35) and have a hosted Unleashed 1.1.3 server. Most of the time there's only me and another friend on there, but would love to expand it. PM me with your minecraft handle if you're interested in joining.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I would imagine on certain forums that 16 counts as being ancient...

Ismaster

Jul 29, 2019
lol

this is why i said "old"

im 30 im not old but in terms of pc gaming i think i have maybe 80 :)

Xadavus

Jul 29, 2019
(cough whizz hac) *waves with his ancient cane* You young folks call me old, I show you old!... hehe

Hell if 30 is old then i must me ancient... 38 here and still rocking like a young adult and playing plenty of games. In fact there are tons of "older" players , just look up "The Older Gamers" or TOG community.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
I am not an older player, only 22 iirc. Though, my abilities say that I am a bit older than I am so that is always a plus.

Here is a reference to my works

There are many considerations:

[1] Space: Space is the #1 most important key. Even if you're working in the outdoors (i.e. have unlimited space) your design will still take up space and the design should account for that. If your factory is too large, it might become to tedious to find errors/tweek your system. In my case, where I have limited room, space becomes an even bigger problem. It is more of an issue of trying to design a system that its space meets its purpose. If your system is needed to attach to other system, you may want to locate it in a central location such that it is easily accessible. Space includes (1) the efficiency in which it takes up space as per design (design it in a way that it isn't wasteful of space) and (2) is externally and internally accessible, such that you can access the innards should you need to make small changes and to allow for easy integration to outside systems.

Compact Design:
fJD8Rlx.jpg

Underground Base:
dB49hTX.jpg

[2] Cost: This should be obvious, but optimizing a design such that it would give the "best bang for buck" is more involved than you might think. Depending on how you acquire resources the value of a given resource may vary. Including the time-varied acquisition of the resource as per your strategy (quarry, turtles, etc.). Examples of such considerations would include whether you wish to integrate your AE system into the system you are considering. AE materials aren't excessively valuable, but require time to accumulate. Projects that utilize a high volume of iridium should be optimized such that they utilize the blocks using these resources to its maximum. This also means designing the system such that you can achieve such optimization through testing/tweeking. Synonym: Non-Wasteful.

Very Efficient Utilization of Lasers:
IGwFW39.png

[3] Integration: A very important aspect of a system is whether it can be successfully integrated into your base. This goes back to accessibility as well. If it is located in a poor location, getting resources to that system might be cumbersome/expensive. Having items floating in transport pipes should be minimized for any case, as to keep the load on your computer as low as possible. If your system doesn't really provide much to enhance other parts of your base, its existence would need to be justified that much more. Usually I build my systems to synergize with one another. Synonym: Versatile/Purposeful.

[4] Scaling: A system should be able to grow as your needs grow. Whether it be increasing your energy production or your item processing, your systems should be designed in such a way that it can be expanded. This means leaving extra space or incorporating the ability to change your system such that it is more efficient. The best way to achieve this is to modulate your system. Every time you wish to expand your system you build another module. You know exactly the resources required to build each module and exactly its output. This is extremely useful in the process of design. Synonym: Upgradable.

Version 1.0 Lava Gen Module: (40 Combustion Engine -> 4 Magma Crucible)
nwgFvkI.jpg

(These are side-by-side modules of the first picture, two layers)

Version 2.0 Lava Gen Module: (4 - 36HP Boiler -> 72 Industrial Steam Engines -> 20 Magma Crucible)

8boiler
J4TTjT3.jpg

12boiler
9kHyEli.png

sideview
O2574NP.png

crucible1
9QjByU6.png

crucible2
HyD2FoW.jpg

thermalgenerators
SND4GWH.jpg

These are a few of the things I might consider when building a system. Main key points are its accessibility, upgrade-ability and its cost. Space is more of an issue for me because my base is inside of a mountain.

Blue

Jul 29, 2019
Hey im about to join the 30 age group thats not old!

but as soon as we get are FTB update and direwolf 20 modpack 1.6.4 goes public ill be hosting a server for that. though sadly ill be the oldest every one else will be younger. i could go for more mature old farts that can jion me on sitting on the front porch and yelling at the kids that get on the lawn

omg I am so that guy now in real life

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
There are many considerations:

[1] Space: Space is the #1 most important key. Even if you're working in the outdoors (i.e. have unlimited space) your design will still take up space and the design should account for that. If your factory is too large, it might become to tedious to find errors/tweek your system. In my case, where I have limited room, space becomes an even bigger problem. It is more of an issue of trying to design a system that its space meets its purpose. If your system is needed to attach to other system, you may want to locate it in a central location such that it is easily accessible. Space includes (1) the efficiency in which it takes up space as per design (design it in a way that it isn't wasteful of space) and (2) is externally and internally accessible, such that you can access the innards should you need to make small changes and to allow for easy integration to outside systems.

Compact Design:
fJD8Rlx.jpg

Underground Base:
dB49hTX.jpg

[2] Cost: This should be obvious, but optimizing a design such that it would give the "best bang for buck" is more involved than you might think. Depending on how you acquire resources the value of a given resource may vary. Including the time-varied acquisition of the resource as per your strategy (quarry, turtles, etc.). Examples of such considerations would include whether you wish to integrate your AE system into the system you are considering. AE materials aren't excessively valuable, but require time to accumulate. Projects that utilize a high volume of iridium should be optimized such that they utilize the blocks using these resources to its maximum. This also means designing the system such that you can achieve such optimization through testing/tweeking. Synonym: Non-Wasteful.

Very Efficient Utilization of Lasers:
IGwFW39.png

[3] Integration: A very important aspect of a system is whether it can be successfully integrated into your base. This goes back to accessibility as well. If it is located in a poor location, getting resources to that system might be cumbersome/expensive. Having items floating in transport pipes should be minimized for any case, as to keep the load on your computer as low as possible. If your system doesn't really provide much to enhance other parts of your base, its existence would need to be justified that much more. Usually I build my systems to synergize with one another. Synonym: Versatile/Purposeful.

[4] Scaling: A system should be able to grow as your needs grow. Whether it be increasing your energy production or your item processing, your systems should be designed in such a way that it can be expanded. This means leaving extra space or incorporating the ability to change your system such that it is more efficient. The best way to achieve this is to modulate your system. Every time you wish to expand your system you build another module. You know exactly the resources required to build each module and exactly its output. This is extremely useful in the process of design. Synonym: Upgradable.

Version 1.0 Lava Gen Module: (40 Combustion Engine -> 4 Magma Crucible)
nwgFvkI.jpg

(These are side-by-side modules of the first picture, two layers)

Version 2.0 Lava Gen Module: (4 - 36HP Boiler -> 72 Industrial Steam Engines -> 20 Magma Crucible)

8boiler
J4TTjT3.jpg

12boiler
9kHyEli.png

sideview
O2574NP.png

crucible1
9QjByU6.png

crucible2
HyD2FoW.jpg

thermalgenerators
SND4GWH.jpg

These are a few of the things I might consider when building a system. Main key points are its accessibility, upgrade-ability and its cost. Space is more of an issue for me because my base is inside of a mountain.
[DOUBLEPOST=1385598096][/DOUBLEPOST]Crap that was a repost, I mean to say yeah, go ahead dude