Long distance rail line questions. (Mindcrack)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Hexxa

Jul 29, 2019
I'm plotting on running a rail line on my server between two points that are an extremely long distance away and was wondering if there are any issues I may run into before I go and lay 1000+ units of track.

Details:
Will only exists to ferry people to and from.
I'm not overly familiar with Railcraft's rails beyond standard stuff (Basic,Booster,Holding, etc).

Any advice that is offered is much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Maico

Jul 29, 2019
Try using High-Speed rails, they go very very fast. Don't forget to slow the cart with the HS boosters when you want to stop or things can get very messy :)

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
If it is for people transport only, then no. you shouldn't have any issues building it. any cargo sent need to be paired up with an anchor cart tho.
Is this for use with the nice traincraft trains tho?

also. unless you use a lot of chunk/part loaders and wireless redstone you won't be able to predetermine the direction of any splits in the tracks. but you can get around that by having holding tracks and using the manual switch.

Hexxa

Jul 29, 2019
No cargo intended, but that may change at some point. And as far as Traincraft goes I had the idea in the back of my mind but I have barely even glanced over the current version. If it's interesting I may look into it. Does TC play nice with high speed rails or are they unneeded with the fancier trains?

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont
And by messy, we mean FUN. There's nothing wrong with a !!MINECART!!

Though, how about I suggest something slightly fancy, the 1,000 long track? With powered rails, then high speed? Go even faster by having a steves cart ridable cart with an engine.

Likely best to make it a loop, two tracks, you don't want carts to collide.

Hexxa

Jul 29, 2019
I love where this is going! If only I could attach a small fusion reactor onto the cart...

Hexxa

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm, I intended to either light it from beginning to end or throw down Xycraft blocks (Swimming in them). I would think my only worry left would be the odd enderman popping in. I'm doing this in a tunnel.

Hexxa

Jul 29, 2019
That's great! This is what I get for never messing with Steve's Carts before.

Belone

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm, I intended to either light it from beginning to end or throw down Xycraft blocks (Swimming in them). I would think my only worry left would be the odd enderman popping in. I'm doing this in a tunnel.

To avoid Endermen you could make the tunnel only two blocks high, as Endermen are 3ish blocks tall.

solidity

Jul 29, 2019
When using high speed tracks, what's a good distance to put booster rails so the carts don't slow down? I know it's 1 in 38 for vanilla tracks, but I guess it's different for Railcraft?

Belone

Jul 29, 2019
You can find information about High Speed stuff on the Railcraft wiki here:- http://railcraft.wikispaces.com/High+Speed+(Guide)

It's been a very long time since I actually played with RC, so I may be completely wrong, but I think (and please someone correct me if I'm wrong) that once a cart is travelling on H.S rails then it won't slow down unless it hits a Transition or Boost rail.

Antice

Jul 29, 2019

if you don't want the cramped feeling of a 2 high tunnel, then make it 3 high and put halfslabs in the roof. that way it feels a little larger than it is.
Also. if you feel cheap, you can use redpower covers on the sidewalls and give them a nice texture cheaply. you get a lot of covers from a single brick block for instance.
lights could be inset in the wall as well. a couple of redpower manned watermills can easily power a 80 block strip of lights. (lamps every fift or so block)

Spasticon

Jul 29, 2019
Fair warning: You will probably run into chunk loading issues.

On a tekkit server where I acted as world architect a while back I built a transit network using high speed rails (rails blocked off, machinery at each end to provide/remove carts, etc)... it was a lot of fun to build.

The system worked great until the server ran into even a small amount of lag. The high speed rails are faster than op flying... so the server has to race to keep up with the chunks. If you happen to hit a chunk that isn't loaded right and there is a desync your cart pops off of the track.

After everything was said and done it turned out to be more reliable to build Multiverse portals to move people from "station" to station. In FTB I'd recommend using Mystcraft portals to accomplish the same. With Mystcraft you could even build the train infrastrcuture and then 1-2 chunks out from the "station" have it go through a mystcraft portal to instantly warp 1-2 chunks out from the destination.

nevakanezah

Jul 29, 2019
Highspeed rail is a good option, but the last time i had to bridge a thousand-block gap, i outran the chunk loading. Regardless, it was fairly stable, but occasionally would explode for the sake of lag.

faster still is intra-linking link books.

cactuar

Jul 29, 2019
I'm also trying to set up a High Speed rail system. I can't seem to figure out how to keep my cart going fast on a HS Rail system. It seems to lose momentum pretty quickly. I currently have a HS Booster rail every 38 tracks and I lose all my momentum before I get to the third booster. Do I just need more boosters, or am I doing something wrong? I'm using the FTB Beta Pack A mod pack.

Spasticon

Jul 29, 2019
Are you acc
I'm also trying to set up a High Speed rail system. I can't seem to figure out how to keep my cart going fast on a HS Rail system. It seems to lose momentum pretty quickly. I currently have a HS Booster rail every 38 tracks and I lose all my momentum before I get to the third booster. Do I just need more boosters, or am I doing something wrong? I'm using the FTB Beta Pack A mod pack.

You shouldn't need to boost once you're up to speed. You do need something like 8-10 boosters in a row to get up to speed (and the same amount at the destination to slow back down).

cactuar

Jul 29, 2019
I had 7 HS Transition tracks at the beginning of my HS Rails. I bumped it up to 10 and while I got a bit farther, I still lost momentum over about 100 tracks. I tried removing the periodic boosters I had throughout my track since people keep saying that you don't need them once you're up to speed, but that didn't help. Then I tried bumping up my transition tracks up to 18. I still lose momentum after about 100 tracks.