Long distance rail line questions. (Mindcrack)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Spasticon

Jul 29, 2019
Yea that seems odd. It has been a little while since I used them last so it could be that they have changed in the meantime.

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
Try repurposing your periodic boosters to a second clump of them where you lose momentum instead?

cactuar

Jul 29, 2019
Try repurposing your periodic boosters to a second clump of them where you lose momentum instead?

I suspect that will work. I'm mainly trying to figure out the mechanics, though. There seems to be some disagreement about whether or not you should lose momentum when you're on a HS Track at all.

nevakanezah

Jul 29, 2019
My last foray into HS track indicated that i needed boosters in sets of 3-5 every 4 chunks or so, but you'll probably want to boost your deceleration buffer to 10 rails, just to be safe.

boman01

Jul 29, 2019
You could use railcraft's locomotive and attach a ton of minecarts (chest, furnace and power .etc )to it, you don't need boosters and is kills everything on its path. The locomotive can go multiple speeds and if you don't have enough power you attach another loc to your train.

CovertJaguar

Jul 29, 2019
Fair warning: You will probably run into chunk loading issues.

On a tekkit server where I acted as world architect a while back I built a transit network using high speed rails (rails blocked off, machinery at each end to provide/remove carts, etc)... it was a lot of fun to build.

The system worked great until the server ran into even a small amount of lag. The high speed rails are faster than op flying... so the server has to race to keep up with the chunks. If you happen to hit a chunk that isn't loaded right and there is a desync your cart pops off of the track.

After everything was said and done it turned out to be more reliable to build Multiverse portals to move people from "station" to station. In FTB I'd recommend using Mystcraft portals to accomplish the same. With Mystcraft you could even build the train infrastrcuture and then 1-2 chunks out from the "station" have it go through a mystcraft portal to instantly warp 1-2 chunks out from the destination.

For situations like this, you can reduce the max HS speed in the config file. Lets your server keep up.

LoGaL

Aug 4, 2013
to avoid mobs you can exploit the fact that if you pass through a transparent block with a minecart, you don't take suffocate damage: in other words you lay down the track and put a glass block on top of it
i have only tested it on straight rails, dunno what happens if you go up/go down/ turn left/turn right ecc ecc ecc
this worked also with HS rails ( no explosion or similar stuff)

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
Unfortunately due to the way the server has to load all the chunks, if you do this you will run into chunkloading errors (big lines of chunks not loading and throwing you off) and you will also completely lag out the server and thus harm the experience of other players. Although pretty; railways don't really work well for transportation in server play. You're much better off popping your trains through Mystcraft portals.