[Listed] 1.7.10 - Simply Magic [HQM][Magic][Light][Tutorial-Themed]

BaileyH

Jul 29, 2019
420x200splash.png

Hey folks! Another day, another pack release, this time with Simply Magic! This is a pack I have developed with @Brizzle. Enjoy!
Please post bug reports in the repository: https://github.com/DrasticDemise/Simply-Magic

If you wish to contribute to the development and upkeep of this mod pack, visit the git page for guidelines and available projects. If you wish to propose changes to this mod pack, visit the Git and post an issue with the tag [Proposal].
Now available on the Curse Launcher.
Pack code: SimplyMagic

Description: Simply Magic is an Hardcore Questing Pack in which players are walked through core magic mods without the comforts of vanilla or otherwise "technological" armors and weapons. Quests are provided supplemental to in-game documentation and provide a tutorial-like experience to those that wish to learn magic mods without the hardcore aspects that other magic-themed packs demand. Additional documentation is provided in-game for core gameplay changes, and players will also find an array of automation-themed challenges for those that wish to prove their mastery in magic.

Simply Magic aims to fill the niche that Mage Quest is no longer able to. Simply Magic provides in-game documentation in a tutorial-like experience for the following mods:
  • Ars Magica
  • Aura Cascade
  • Thaumcraft
  • Botania
  • Mystcraft
  • Blood Magic
  • Witchery
Quest Line Images:
2016-01-13_17.50.22.png 2016-01-13_17.51.10.png 2016-01-13_17.51.18.png 2016-01-13_17.51.52.png
This pack aims to provide a magic experience without the overshadowing of tech mods or hardcore game play. There is no tech here! The quest book aims to show points of mods that fill the niche of the often used Thermal Expansion and Applied Energistics. Need an option for mass storage? There is already a mod for it, get learning!

One notable change is that vanilla weapons and tools above stone are set to 1 durability.
The exception to this rule is that Iron Pickaxes have a durability of 100. This is to encourage the use of magic tools that are otherwise overlooked.

World Generation is handled by Alternate Terrain Generation and the Streams Mod. Make sure to set it to ATG in world creation!

Using the Vanilla food system. No food clutter from Pam's Harvestcraft or eating requirements from Spice of Life or Hunger Overhaul. This allows users to explore modded foods and production that are often overlooked.

The only mobs added are mobs from Dark Menagerie and the core magic mods. Dark Menagerie offers a variety in combat that isn't outrageously unlike vanilla.

Exploration is encouraged by Thaumcraft and Rougelike Dungeons. Those that wish to challenge their magical gear will find raid-able Rougelike dungeons! Future exploration mods may be added in the future.

This pack is extremely light. You should have no problem running this pack! The mods selected are extremely light-weight and are further optimized by Fastcraft and BetterFPS.

Mods:

Changelog:
Version 1.1.5
  • Updated FTB Utils/Lib, Storage Drawers, COFH Core, Automagy
  • Nodes are slightly more common and slightly higher odds of being special
  • Fixed Brazier quest
  • Farseek/Streams
  • More slabs can be crafted back into their block forms @TDarkShadow
Version 1.1.3
  • Added Mouse Tweaks - #40 - @koalalord9999
  • Added FTB Lib and Utilities - You can now chunk load!
  • Added Thaumcraft Node Tracker
  • Backported Guide-API - Books now work.
  • Updated COFH Core
  • Fixed Witchery Torn Pages quest
  • Fixed Scepter quest #43 - @Final-Legacy
  • Fixed Living Infusion Quest #44 - @Final-Legacy
  • More Hoarding quests! Can now obtain a hungry node :)
  • Increased Thaumcraft biome spawn rate by a small bit
Version 1.1.2
  • Added Bibliocraft and Jabba
  • Replaced Guardian Chests with Open Blocks. Most items in Open Blocks are disabled except for a few decoration blocks.
  • Can now convert botania flowers directly into dye - @TDarkShadow
  • Botania Exoflame now supports TC. - @TDarkShadow
  • Added Thaumic Inventory Scanning - @TDarkShadow
  • Violet Aura description fixed - @Fortanono
  • Disabled Mana Fluxfield - @TDarkShadow
  • Replaced Witchery door reward with Bibliocraft rewards
Version 1.1.1
  • Updated Botania, Gadomancy, Forbidden Magic
  • Replaced Lootable Bodies with Guardian Chest.
  • Added clarification for the Golemancers Bell recipe
  • Fixed the lexica botania detection
  • Added information on obsidian harvesting
  • Increased the durability of iron tools. They are less than vanilla, but not totally useless.
  • Added Clarification on how to bonemeal additional AM2 plants - Zieg777
  • Increased the chance of AM2 plants spawning when using bone meal in their respective areas.
Version 1.1.0
  • Added Aura Cascade and quest line. Authored by @Fortanono!
  • Corrected some potion conflicts.
  • Added Morpheus for servers
  • Added AOBD for Aura Cascade integration.
Version 1.0.2
Hotfix for Am2 quests not revealing properly.
Version 1.0.1
  • Added Gadomancy and Quests
  • Added Am2 Plant Fix and fixed quest
  • Additional hoarding quests.
Version 1.0.0: Released!

Servers: PM me with public servers to be listed here!

Server IP: bloodtypea.mcraft.pro

server ip: simplymagic.tronopolis.net // sm.tronopolis.net // simply.tronopolis.net // magic.tronopolis.net

Let's Plays: Pm me with your let's play series to be listed here!

FAQ: Ask away.
How do I mine obsidian early if Diamond Picks are 1 durability?

Manasteel and Thaumium pickaxes are capable of mining obsidian.

Credit:
@Brizzle - Co-developer and author of the Witchery and Blood Magic quest lines!
@Fortanono - Developer of the Aura Cascade Questline!
Zieg777 - Developer of the Flicker System quest line for Ars Magica 2!
@TDarkShadow - Several accepted commits for mod additions and scripts!

Please post bug reports in the repository: https://github.com/DrasticDemise/Simply-Magic

Last edited:

Fortanono

Aug 25, 2015
Hey! You mind if I create a tutorial on Aura Cascade? Banished has one, but I don't think everybody who wants to play Aura Cascade should have to survive in a dark cave for a while.

BaileyH

Jul 29, 2019
Hey! You mind if I create a tutorial on Aura Cascade? Banished has one, but I don't think everybody who wants to play Aura Cascade should have to survive in a dark cave for a while.

Sure! If you write the quest line and submit a pull request on the repository, I will merge it into the quest lines if it is well made. Try to keep it the same tone as the other quests. Just do /hqm save (name of quest line) and post the json file (found in configs - hqm - questfiles) in the repository.

SilverDk

Jul 29, 2019
Just nice when I want to try more magic mods :D
Keep up the great work @DrasticDemise

Edit* Is there any ore doubling I'm missing in the pack beside blood magic? And for blood magic the ore doubling is on tier 3 right?

Last edited:

Steel

Jul 29, 2019
I've only played a little bit, but this pack looks great. Do you have any suggestions on early tools to use? I'm not aware of any magic mod tools that can be made right out the gate. I think I may switch out ATG though, as it does some really odd things. Almost all shores are turned to swamp biomes, so all the islands/continents have weird green borders. Biomes are also very small and have a lot of weird sudden transitions. I think I'll probably change to RTG for my personal play, as I much prefer worlds created by that.

Steel

Jul 29, 2019

This sounds awesome, and I think Aura Cascade would be a great addition to this pack. Just wanted to second this suggestion.

BaileyH

Jul 29, 2019
Just nice when I want to try more magic mods :D
Keep up the great work @DrasticDemise

Edit* Is there any ore doubling I'm missing in the pack beside blood magic? And for blood magic the ore doubling is on tier 3 right?

Thaumcraft will allow you to double ores and eventually triple your ores with a chance of an additional nugget with the Infernal Furnace and Blast Furnace.

I've only played a little bit, but this pack looks great. Do you have any suggestions on early tools to use? I'm not aware of any magic mod tools that can be made right out the gate. I think I may switch out ATG though, as it does some really odd things. Almost all shores are turned to swamp biomes, so all the islands/continents have weird green borders. Biomes are also very small and have a lot of weird sudden transitions. I think I'll probably change to RTG for my personal play, as I much prefer worlds created by that.

Your earliest choices are Thaumium or Manasteel pickaxes, but I advise you go through Ars Magica2 and create a dig spell. It costs you nothing in resources (aside from creating it) and you will begin to level up early in the game.

Last edited:

BaileyH

Jul 29, 2019
First suggestion, I would suggest fast leaf decay.
Second suggestion, I will return with another.
I will third the suggestion of aura cascade.
Fast leaf decay doesn't play nice with mods that depend on tree growth such as the Botania flower that eats trees and leaves.

Fortanono

Aug 25, 2015
Oh my gosh... I have a following now. Need to learn how to use Git and then I'll start makin'!

Just a suggestion: BigTrees? I feel it goes well with ATG and Streams. Oh, and Storage Drawers, since while it has its own sorting mechanics, I feel that they compliment Corporea nicely and give more usability to the system with the Controller, compared to the Inventarium that outshines it.

Last edited:
Reactions: TDarkShadow

Bluedog444

Jul 29, 2019
Well you did it again, another great pack. I honestly have no clue how to maintane them all. ;p I struggle with two.

teirdal

Jul 29, 2019
I suggest adding ttcore mod, which adds some comfortable tricks, like right click harvest without break the seeds, added auto-smelt enchantment which is a good way to enchant with Terra shatterer, if it go with fortune 3, haha... you know that! tinkers smite luck hammer! etc.

Reactions: TDarkShadow

lok0143

Jul 29, 2019
I set up a server for my girls and I and we are having a great time. One question, what do you suggest for portal storage?

teirdal

Jul 29, 2019
CyanosLootableBodies can't fit a lot of situations like die in lava lake , meet Hungry nodes when you're on your boat! -_-! And Ars Magica's armor will disappear too. That all happened to me before. I finally change to 'guardian chests mod' or simply use 'keep inventory mod'. 2 bad days!