Unix Launcher doesn't save username/password

Status
Not open for further replies.

betrunkenaffe

Jul 29, 2019
This is a weird bug, the launcher doesn't seem to save my username/password between reboots. I can close the launcher and reopen it and the information is saved, but if I reboot, it's gone and I just have a blank space.

The only thing I can think of is if the information is getting saved to /tmp but I can't imagine why user/pass would be saved there.

Currently using archlinux/kde system (java 6, did same thing on java 7 though)

Edit: A solution was found for a number of people experiencing this issue, please confirm you don't have any special characters such as @$#&* [in user and pass] and see if the issue persists before posting.

Meldiron

Jul 29, 2019
Is there generated a file called logindata when you log in?
It should be located in the same folder as the launcher executable.

betrunkenaffe

Jul 29, 2019
There is, when I open it, there is a very long string of numbers. I'm assuming that is a hashcode or something of that nature for identifying the user/pass from it. When I start the launcher, there is a spot where my user information would be but it's blank and doesn't work if I just try using it.

betrunkenaffe

Jul 29, 2019
Have you edited some thing in the login?

I don't edit anything. This laptop has an issue with CMOS battery but that shouldn't drop the login on launcher, that would be a weird reason.. it's odd as well because the information is there until I reboot. Going to try logging out and back into laptop and see if it persists across sessions.

betrunkenaffe

Jul 29, 2019
I just rebooted and seemed to work fine, only changes are the launcher updated to 1.0.7 today (hopefully fix) and switched back to java 7. If issue is gone, will mark as solved later.

Reactions: Meldiron

betrunkenaffe

Jul 29, 2019
Unfortunately it did not. I started up launcher just now and still showing same error (profile is defaulted to new, blank space is there for the profile which would be me in list).

I checked logindata and the hash code is still there, it looks like the launcher recognizes there is a username but when it goes to load the information, it instead loads blank strings (and since last logged in account isn't in list, defaults to top of list). At this point I'm thinking it MUST have something to do with my CMOS battery because it only happens when the machine is fully powered down (a reset doesn't drop the time). I can't imagine why since the time is reset before I start up the launcher.

Tadaskew

Jul 29, 2019
I've been having the same problem and my desktop is less than a year old so it's not the battery. I've tried deleting the logindata file thinking it was corrupted but the problem continues.

This has been going on for awhile but it started near the time of the last server outage, there was also a launcher update (1.05? I think) near that time that may have started it.

betrunkenaffe

Jul 29, 2019
My Windows desktop works fine, are you also using a *nix client? Which java do you have running (both 6 and 7 seem to have issue for me)?

Meldiron

Jul 29, 2019
On windows there is a folder located at "C:\Users\[your username]\AppData\Roaming\ftblauncher" that also contains a copy of the logindata file.
I believe that folder was added around 1.0.5'ish so that could be the issue.
I have no idea what the filepath for unix would be, but a quick search for "ftblauncher" should find it i guess.
If that folder got cleared or messed with or it wasn't allowed to be generated then i guess that could cause issues.

Tadaskew

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry, should have said I'm running a win7 machine, Java 7 64 bit. The logindata file in ftblauncher is the only one on my drive according to search. Is there another location it's supposed to be?

betrunkenaffe

Jul 29, 2019
I tried to find source code since someone said was open source, couldn't find it so couldn't check further on that line of thinking :)

Tadaskew

Jul 29, 2019
Dang, tried copying it to there, and to ftbbeta\minecraft and to \ftbbeta with no luck.

Thanks for your time tho guys I'm just gonna go for a reinstall when I get the time. Good luck betrunkenaffe.

betrunkenaffe

Jul 29, 2019
Since I downloaded the code, hasn't happened at all, which either means is fixed or it's a super annoying intermittent bug. I could toss in some debug code on likely candidate locations for issues and provide it if anyone has it happen on a consistent basis still.

Status
Not open for further replies.