JVM Arguments for Modded Minecraft (Updated 12/30/13)

Spencefoz

Jul 29, 2019
How would I know if it is using the three different java memory sections? When I look at my server it tells me that I still have 2gb of RAM Free which is supposed to be used for the other part of the code besides the xms3g etc., Curious if there is a way to "know" that it is utilizing all of the start up script.

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
It's dynamic, just like everything else memory wise in java. It uses it when it needs too, but it's not fully loaded at all times. I can keep it fully loaded all the time, but that actually hurts performance since I can't control which methods are compiled (as of yet.)

Rede

Jul 29, 2019
Hey there, I've tried using the FTB JVM Settings, but saddly, those corrupted my world. The game will not let me open anything. It's like im in "adventure" mode. I also, can not load any chunks, besides a few that we're loaded from my Chunk loader. But from that, it's fine, I'll start a new world.

The thing that is catching my eye is this:

Error: Could not create the Java Virtual Machine.
Error: A fatal exception has occurred. Program will exit.

This is with your settings, i've updated to the latest java 7u40.
I used the Vanilla launcher to see if these settings will improve. Hopefully, this helps. I'm not to sure what I am doing wrong I read this forum, and seen that you said that, 7u40 is fine, but "buggy"?

EDIT1: I've looked at my launcher, and it seems that, i'm getting this error:

Client> Invalid maximum heap size: -Xmx-2048m]

EDIT2: Fixed, it seems that I had a typo, -Xmx-248m derp. All fixed :D

Spencefoz

Jul 29, 2019
where it says " -jar “put your server jar name here” nogui" do you put ftbserver.jar or would it only be ftbserver?

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
Hey there, I've tried using the FTB JVM Settings, but saddly, those corrupted my world. The game will not let me open anything. It's like im in "adventure" mode. I also, can not load any chunks, besides a few that we're loaded from my Chunk loader. But from that, it's fine, I'll start a new world.

The thing that is catching my eye is this:

Error: Could not create the Java Virtual Machine.
Error: A fatal exception has occurred. Program will exit.

This is with your settings, i've updated to the latest java 7u40.
I used the Vanilla launcher to see if these settings will improve. Hopefully, this helps. I'm not to sure what I am doing wrong I read this forum, and seen that you said that, 7u40 is fine, but "buggy"?

EDIT1: I've looked at my launcher, and it seems that, i'm getting this error:

Client> Invalid maximum heap size: -Xmx-2048m]

EDIT2: Fixed, it seems that I had a typo, -Xmx-248m derp. All fixed :D

I hope that's another typo because Xmx shouldn't be passes as an argument into the FTBLauncher. Make sure you copied the right arguments. Also it would be 2048m.

Edit: also, buggy is a very relative term. Using just JVM arguments to help stabilize modded MC is what I consider a hack n slash fix. SSP will never receive the type of performance increase that SMP does and the biggest hits come from mojang not building minecraft as a multicore game (or using java in the first place.)

where it says " -jar “put your server jar name here” nogui" do you put ftbserver.jar or would it only be ftbserver?

ftbserver.jar is correct. Without quotes though.

Rede

Jul 29, 2019

Right, what JRE should I use, because I have 7u40, and when I loaded up my FTB world, my pips, liquiducts, etc etc. all were detached from each other, also, I could not load any chunks.

But, it's fine, because some reason, EnderChest crashed my world, and that's where it all started. but, the Arguments are what caused me not able to load chunks.. I tried moving my player in MCEdit, didn't work. I'm now getting this error:

http://pastebin.com/ErwfLK9F This is without the Arguments.

http://pastebin.com/HrrceHEv This is with the Arguments.

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
The first problem is a memory connection issue I've seen more than a few times with unleashed and was one of the reasons I built my JVMs the way they are.

The second issue is an issue with Wireless Redstone Chickenbones Edition and is the same issue that happens with Chicken Chunks. I can't fix that as it has nothing to do with my JVM arguments. Even the Forgecraft crew have been fuming about it and LexManos even commented that chickenbones is doing something wrong.

As far as what jre to use, I always suggest using the latest. However, updating can sometimes break worlds due to changes made by the java vendor (oracle in most cases.) I normally update my own java when I start a new world.

Reactions: Rede

Rede

Jul 29, 2019
Wow, you sir are right on the dot, I don't really understand how CC is stuffing up. But, hopefully everything get's fixed. Also, I've used your JVM's for FTB and Vanilla, and I've seen a dramatic increase in performance. +1

Reactions: Eyamaz

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
I do not use ATLauncher nor the Technic launcher and have not tested anything with them so I do not support them. Not for any distaste for either, I just have no use for them. You can probably ask on their respective forums, but I will not be trouble shooting anything with their packs or launchers.

Spencefoz

Jul 29, 2019
is there an ideal time period to keep the server online or an ideal time to schedule restarts? Every x hours / days?

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
is there an ideal time period to keep the server online or an ideal time to schedule restarts? Every x hours / days?

Not really the topic of this thread. It depends a lot on your server specs. This is a question that would better go into the server admin area.

Spencefoz

Jul 29, 2019
Gotcha, sorry man! Wasn't sure if something about how it keeps memory would affect or have anything to do with an ideal time. Thanks! I'll head there.

MacAisling

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2013
Kearneysville, West Virginia
I'm playing FTB Unleashed 1.1.4 on an older MacBook w/ MacOSX 10.6.8 [2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo w/ 2GB 667 Mhz DDR2 SDRam] & Java SE 6 v1.6.0_51-b11-456.

Without additional java parameters, my system lags to the point of being frozen for over 10 minutes after 1 - 2 hours of gameplay. With the client side arguments listed here: http://binarymage.com/wiki/doku.php?id=setup:memory my game runs much better when I can get it to load but it also seems to be causing a ticking entity crash when loading (I have been able to get around this by starting a new world, then switching to my saved world).

Launcher console log: http://pastebin.com/Qt2QFudA
Minecraft crash report: http://pastebin.com/fuV2q14k

Any specific recommendations for those of us playing on lesser computers?

Reactions: reddvilzz

reddvilzz

Jul 29, 2019
I'm playing FTB Unleashed 1.1.4 on an older MacBook w/ MacOSX 10.6.8 [2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo w/ 2GB 667 Mhz DDR2 SDRam] & Java SE 6 v1.6.0_51-b11-456.

Without additional java parameters, my system lags to the point of being frozen for over 10 minutes after 1 - 2 hours of gameplay. With the client side arguments listed here: http://binarymage.com/wiki/doku.php?id=setup:memory my game runs much better when I can get it to load but it also seems to be causing a ticking entity crash when loading (I have been able to get around this by starting a new world, then switching to my saved world).

Launcher console log: http://pastebin.com/Qt2QFudA
Minecraft crash report: http://pastebin.com/fuV2q14k

Any specific recommendations for those of us playing on lesser computers?

Well i use OP arguments and it works well on my bit old laptop. Before i use the one from your link and i had the same problem as you did. Terrible lags after 1 / 2 hours playing. But since i switch it out with OP arguments it seems getting better.

The lags still exist though but it only happened after 3 /4 hours playing. Big improvements i say

Sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk 4

Sertas

Jul 29, 2019
I do not use ATLauncher nor the Technic launcher and have not tested anything with them so I do not support them. Not for any distaste for either, I just have no use for them. You can probably ask on their respective forums, but I will not be trouble shooting anything with their packs or launchers.

thanks for providing a real answer Eyamaz