JVM Arguments for Modded Minecraft (Updated 12/30/13)

Vaygrim

Jul 29, 2019
Damage Indicators, Applied Energistics, BibioCraft, BiblioWoods (BiomesOPlenty, Forestry, Natura), BiomesOPlenty, Binnie's Mods, Buildcraft, Chickenchunks, CodeChickenCore, ComputerCraft, Dartcraft, Ender IO, EnderStorage, ExtraUtils, Factorization, Forestry, IndustrialCraft2 (Experimental), InventoryTweaks, IronChests, Advanced Solar Panels (IC2 Exp. Version), Natura, NEI (plus Plugins), OpenPeripherals, PortalGun (& iChunUtil), RailCraft, StevesCarts, TConstruct, TwilightForest, Waila

Uh.. that is literally everything. I pulled out GravityGun, Backtools, Hats and Hatstands, Mystcraft (temporarily), uh.. there's no wireless redstone of any kind yet. I don't have any Thermal Expansion related, because they don't exist for 1.6.2 just yet. Took out DenPipes / DenLib. Don't have MineFactory Reloaded (as there is no 1.6.2 version yet).

I am currently using Rei's MiniMap but I'm honestly considering that this may be the source of my troubles. I'm considering swapping to another MiniMap mod, just not sure which to use.[DOUBLEPOST=1379822656][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh.. and IDFix. (Amazing mod by the way, it is seamlessly ironing out all my ID conflict hiccups, it's great!)

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not home yet, so haven't tested yet, the similarities between you and omicron are IC2 and Rei's. I have not had this issue as of yet in my 1.6.2 instance, and neither have two other friends using these jvms that haven't used either of those mods.

So atm, they are my focal point for tests.

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
hrm. i have been unsuccessful in replicating this, but i am going to up the frequency of the GCs to see if that can alleviate the issue. what version of forge are you two using by chance? (i am using 9.10.1.859, recommended for 1.6.2 is currently 9.10.1.871)

edit: updated to 871 and the heap did seam to fill a bit quicker, but faster GC worked well enough to cut it.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Using Forge #856, which was the latest at the time I built my world.

Not getting any memory leaks in building stuff, though, just from changing dimensions. I assume it's Rei's re-initializing the local map without cleaning up after itself or something.

Vaygrim, you say your FPS halves when you start placing down blocks. Are you sure you have a memory leak? Those don't affect FPS at all. What they did for me was that they made the game stutter (i.e. intermittent, brief pauses) as Java did some GC in the background. My FPS was stable though. I'm thinking you have a different problem.

Vaygrim

Jul 29, 2019
Using Forge #856, which was the latest at the time I built my world.

Not getting any memory leaks in building stuff, though, just from changing dimensions. I assume it's Rei's re-initializing the local map without cleaning up after itself or something.

Vaygrim, you say your FPS halves when you start placing down blocks. Are you sure you have a memory leak? Those don't affect FPS at all. What they did for me was that they made the game stutter (i.e. intermittent, brief pauses) as Java did some GC in the background. My FPS was stable though. I'm thinking you have a different problem.

I will be the first to admit that I may be using the wrong terminology. The over all issue I'm trying to conquer is my FPS halving at any given moment for no perceivable reason.
I presently have two instances I am testing in, both through the official Minecraft Launcher: 1.6.2 using Forge 871 and 1.6.4 using Forge 883. Since there are lots of mods not updated for 1.6.4 yet (and actually throw errors loading up) I actually barely have anything running in 1.6.4, just bare bones. My big problems are in 1.6.2 right now. Starting a new world I'll easily have 45-50 FPS rock steady. The moment I start building a house ANYWHERE (near spawn, dozens of chunks away from spawn, you name it), my framerate immediately bricks down to 15-18 FPS range and stays there for the duration that I stay in that immediate area. If I go out mining a significant (more than 3 chunks) distance away from this home base.. my FPS shoots back up to 45-50 FPS.

It is really aggrivating and rather mysterious.

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
Are you using Optifine? That sounds like dynamic chunkloading. Also, how long into play are you? It usually takes anywhere from 2 to 10 minutes for JIT to stabilize depending on the power of your PC.

Vaygrim

Jul 29, 2019
Are you using Optifine? That sounds like dynamic chunkloading. Also, how long into play are you? It usually takes anywhere from 2 to 10 minutes for JIT to stabilize depending on the power of your PC.

I've tried with and without OptiFine installed. I will say however that when I DO have it installed I think I have dynamic chunkloading enabled. I'll switch it off and see what happens.

Vaygrim

Jul 29, 2019
So Eyamaz, what combination of JVM arguments could you recommend for my situation? (Reminder: I'm using the Minecraft official launcher right now. MC 1.6.2 and Forge 871).

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
For that? There are no real jvm arguments that can fix it. The only things I can recommend are making sure your graphics drivers are up to date. Most of the issues with minecraft are how the code is written, and there isn't much I can fix with that.
You can try adding -Xnoclassgc to the arguments I have. That's about all I have for options. :(

Vaygrim

Jul 29, 2019
For that? There are no real jvm arguments that can fix it. The only things I can recommend are making sure your graphics drivers are up to date. Most of the issues with minecraft are how the code is written, and there isn't much I can fix with that.
You can try adding -Xnoclassgc to the arguments I have. That's about all I have for options. :(

But should I be using your FTB Launcher arguments... or the MultiMC arguments?

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
For the vanilla launcher? Use the server arguments without the "-jar "server jar here" nogui" portion of the commands.

Vaygrim

Jul 29, 2019
For the vanilla launcher? Use the server arguments without the "-jar "server jar here" nogui" portion of the commands.

Okay using your Server settings string is making night and day difference for me. Steady smooth 40 FPS, even after hours of playing and building. It's nice! Will keep you appraised of progress.

Reactions: Eyamaz

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
No. The arguments are all the same (basically.) The reason they are divided the way they are is because the FTBLauncher and MultiMC already pass some arguments to minecraft. The server, as well as the vanilla launcher, pass none.

reddvilzz

Jul 29, 2019
No. The arguments are all the same (basically.) The reason they are divided the way they are is because the FTBLauncher and MultiMC already pass some arguments to minecraft. The server, as well as the vanilla launcher, pass none.

So basically if i add the server arguments into ftb launcher that doesn't really improve anything?

I saw the op updated to 22, but what have changed? You should add changelog :p
Just so people can keep track of what you changed :D

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
lol, no changelog

i changed -XX:GCPauseIntervalMillis=400 to -XX:GCPauseIntervalMillis=150 to increase the frequency of the garbage collection.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Why don't you look at the first post and see for yourself if the value was changed in all locations or just in one...?

reddvilzz

Jul 29, 2019
I do not remember the ftb launcher gc pause interval is it already 150 or is it just recently changed. That's why i ask