Just curious

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Unata

Jul 29, 2019
Going through my email this morning, I have email from FTB, normally I click on that to see what the news from FTB is about but, before I went to do so I noticed the link trail in the notification line below the email link in title, it wasn't from "feed-the-beast.com" like normally but from mandrillapp.com.

I did not click it, instead I googled mandrillapp, appears to be a transactional email service used to deliver welcome emails, password reset emails and other one-to-one emails.

My question is, is FTB using this service? I won't click on anything I don't recognize, to be honest, not sure I would even if FTB is using this service, been burned before and maybe over cautious but just afraid to.

Reactions: ICountFrom0

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I can confirm that we use Mandrill to process all our forum related email. It's good practice to not blindly click on links though and I'll always recommend you navigate directly to a site (by typing the url) before logging in etc.

I agree, but I'd go even further to say not to trust any link, unless you are able to verify that the link and the displayed text are the same. Anyone familiar with HTTP knows that these can be two separate entities. This has become worse since many mail clients allow HTTP to be used for the message text.

[Edit] I even created rules in Outlook to automatically move messages where the text body contains the words "click here" to a separate folder for examination, and automatic deletion after 7 days.

Last edited:
Reactions: ICountFrom0

Unata

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, then let me ask this, if your using this service but recommend not clicking on it, what's the point of using it? and if many are like myself and won't click on something we don't recognize , what's the point? you'd be getting false input anyway.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
Ok, then let me ask this, if your using this service but recommend not clicking on it, what's the point of using it? and if many are like myself and won't click on something we don't recognize , what's the point? you'd be getting false input anyway.
He is talking about clicking links in general, not don't click in this specific case. Also, sadly enough a lot of people aren't like you (There is a reason there are so many "you have a virus" ads.)