Java compatibility

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord
J

JoeAceJR YT

Hello everyone, this is JoeAceJR here and I recently discovered that java will not be compatible with many devices because of security issues. When will ftb make a launcher that does not run java?

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
Minecraft uses Java. Therefore even if the ftb client suddenly won't use java you are still forced to use java to run Minecraft.
Also, Java is a programming language you might need to install something to get programs that use it running unlike something like C (except when you are developing something in C) because of this running something that uses java is not less or more secure then running something that is written with C.

Treat Java stuff like you would treat other stuff (assuming you treat other stuff with some sanity). Don't let your browsers run Java code whenever it want and only run java code that you trust. I believe that chrome doesn't even allow java programs to run on it any more. and I believe that with firefox the default setting needs you to enable it first. For stuff you download, again treat it like any other program.

In short, Java might be unsafe but so is EVERY OTHER THING THAT EXISTS.

Sorry if this looks a bit of a rant or if it doesn't sound exactly nice it isn't meant to hurt anyone just to bring up a point :)

erindalc

Popular Member
Mar 3, 2015
Steam
Source for this? And Minecraft runs on java so either way you're out of luck.

Edit: someone beat me to it

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Try using the Curse Client if you don't want Java permanently loaded on your system... It has all the "official" FtB packs, and links to Mojang's MC launcher for security reasons (Curse never has to know your Mojang password, for one thing).

Also, the Mojang MC Launcher loads it's own secure copy of Java runtime (version 1.8.0_25) to run Minecraft, and then unloads it when you close the game.

Also, I'm curious... What devices don't run Java? The only ones I can think of are those that are locked from loading your own apps. That, and sometimes Apple products won't run the newest versions of Java because Apple :D

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Java will run on almost any device, be it ARM, x86, or PowerPC. Whether or not it has security holes does not effect whether it'll run.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
My nephew got a Chromebook for Christmas and was unable to get MC to run properly on it. Granted, I never did any firsthand troubleshooting on it, so it was all his inexperience and a phonecall or twelve, but he finally gave up.

If others have a similar experience, and all the reasoning available from the manufacturer says it is due to security concerns, it leads the inexperienced and uninformed to believe Java as a whole is a security risk. As stated above, breathing is now a security risk - tread lightly.

J

JoeAceJR YT

Minecraft uses Java. Therefore even if the ftb client suddenly won't use java you are still forced to use java to run Minecraft.
Also, Java is a programming language you might need to install something to get programs that use it running unlike something like C (except when you are developing something in C) because of this running something that uses java is not less or more secure then running something that is written with C.

Treat Java stuff like you would treat other stuff (assuming you treat other stuff with some sanity). Don't let your browsers run Java code whenever it want and only run java code that you trust. I believe that chrome doesn't even allow java programs to run on it any more. and I believe that with firefox the default setting needs you to enable it first. For stuff you download, again treat it like any other program.

In short, Java might be unsafe but so is EVERY OTHER THING THAT EXISTS.

Sorry if this looks a bit of a rant or if it doesn't sound exactly nice it isn't meant to hurt anyone just to bring up a point :)
but minecraft (vanilla) has a launcher that doesnt need java, and not many programs are going to be using java anymore.

J

JoeAceJR YT

Try using the Curse Client if you don't want Java permanently loaded on your system... It has all the "official" FtB packs, and links to Mojang's MC launcher for security reasons (Curse never has to know your Mojang password, for one thing).

Also, the Mojang MC Launcher loads it's own secure copy of Java runtime (version 1.8.0_25) to run Minecraft, and then unloads it when you close the game.

Also, I'm curious... What devices don't run Java? The only ones I can think of are those that are locked from loading your own apps. That, and sometimes Apple products won't run the newest versions of Java because Apple :D
can i carry my saves over from java ftb to curse?

J

JoeAceJR YT

Java will run on almost any device, be it ARM, x86, or PowerPC. Whether or not it has security holes does not effect whether it'll run.
windows 10 and many other devices and programs will move out of java.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
but minecraft (vanilla) has a launcher that doesnt need java, and not many programs are going to be using java anymore.
Fun fact, it still uses java. The only difference is that it now loads the java it got bundled with (which is the same thing as the one you install).
Another fun fact, this is also not the case for all operating systems. For GNU/Linux for example it still uses the one you have downloaded as it doesn't actually come with its own java (unless that changed which I doubt)
can i carry my saves over from java ftb to curse?
There is no difference, both still use java to run minecraft. Thus yes you should be able to copy saves as there is no difference in the 2 of them (except for the launcher)
The java run time environment, which is the thing you need to run java programs is just a program. Nothing is "moving out" of java. The only way windows 10 won't have java anymore is when oracle drops java development and even then there are alternative Java run time environments you can use even on windows like for example: https://github.com/ojdkbuild/ojdkbuild (not tested how well it works on windows.)

Thus in short: Java is not going any where, you can't not use java and run minecraft and using other launchers won't change that. If you don't like oracle's java for some reason there are open source variants you can use however I have no idea how well they run on windows.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
My nephew got a Chromebook for Christmas and was unable to get MC to run properly on it. Granted, I never did any firsthand troubleshooting on it, so it was all his inexperience and a phonecall or twelve, but he finally gave up.

If others have a similar experience, and all the reasoning available from the manufacturer says it is due to security concerns, it leads the inexperienced and uninformed to believe Java as a whole is a security risk. As stated above, breathing is now a security risk - tread lightly.

To me that's hilarious.

1). Google wrote Chrome (both the browser and the OS)
2). Oracle (owners of Java) sues Google for using Java in their products
3). Yesterday (5/26/16) the Court decides that Google's use of Java is "Fair Use" and not actionable

Ergo, Google products (including Chrome) are at least partially written in Java

The Hardware manufacturer, on the other hand, may be covering up for deficient design specs. Chromebooks are usually cheap for a reason... They're intended primarily for e-mail and such apps and don't include much ram or a gaming GPU to cut costs and improve battery life. Perhaps this Chromebook doesn't have enough Ram to run both Java and MC together?

Please post specs.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013

Not true. Windows 10 runs Java just fine and has since Oct 2014. Microsoft's Visual Studio even has a (3rd party) plug-in module to support Java development.

Last edited:

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Why is this thread still going?

Java, in terms of app development, is just as insecure as using C or C++ (or C#) or any other desktop app development language. It is the nature of desktop apps that they have rather unrestricted access to the system, and banning any one of these technologies would be ineffective without banning all of them.

What is changing is the ability to launch Java applications from the web. Given its status as a desktop application development language, any holes in the java-applet sandbox allow supposedly secure web applets uncontrolled access to the system.

So, browsers are dropping support for a wide variety of applet / plugins, including Java and Flash, as HTML5 can now be used to do the kind of things applets used to require native code for.
Also the entire Android mobile platform is 100% Java based, so I think reports of the immanent demise of Java as a platform for developing anything other than web applets is grossly exaggerated.

Reactions: Hambeau

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
also, just a general tip for everyone. If you feel unsafe using an application that you can't afford to not use take a look at https://firejail.wordpress.com/
There might be something similar for windows, else you just need to run linux inside a vm which adds even more layers of security :p

J

JoeAceJR YT

Can a staff lock this thread to stop the development of an argument? it would be appreciated.

Moasseman

Jul 29, 2019
No. The best way to stop the development of an argument.... is to stop posting here?

I don't mind tho. Seems like the whole FTB scene thrives on drama so it might do some good for all of us. You know, get some benefits like sparkly, silky skin and bright, white teeth

Reactions: Lethosos

knn03

Jul 29, 2019
Seems like the whole FTB scene thrives on drama so it might do some good for all of us.

Not sure what you are talking about. Seems to me like it's the complete opposite here. This forum is by far the most drama-free zone of the places I visit.