JaRyCu's Slightly Modded Minecraft 1.10.2

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Hmmm...I wonder if I could download it from ATL and then import it as a new profile into Curse. That doesn't seem too hard. I read through the description and the mod listing and really liked how it sounded. For those of you reading this that aren't me or @ShneekeyTheLost, here's the link to his modpack. (You should really link the image in your signature to the pack! ;) )
I know you can import it into MultiMC. I don't know about Curse launcher.

There's going to be some significant changes in ShneekeyCraft in the coming weeks. With Agricraft having an unstable alpha, Botania making an appearance as an optional mod, and a few other under-the-hood changes, the new year is going to be a big change from the pack as it stands now. I'm hoping to get some kind of oregen mod that does what I actually want it to do, which when combined with RTG, will provide you a truly epic world to explore and have fun in.

Reactions: JaRyCu

JaRyCu

Sep 29, 2015
South Georgia, USA
There's going to be some significant changes in ShneekeyCraft in the coming weeks. With Agricraft having an unstable alpha, Botania making an appearance as an optional mod, and a few other under-the-hood changes, the new year is going to be a big change from the pack as it stands now. I'm hoping to get some kind of oregen mod that does what I actually want it to do, which when combined with RTG, will provide you a truly epic world to explore and have fun in.

In that case, I'll hold off. Once you get it into a beta or pre-release phase, I'd be happy to put it on my server and let some of my group play it, possible even record it, depending on the exposure you'd like to give it.

As far as oregen, look at Substratum. @Boqzo1 used it to get rid all of the copied ore in Unstoppable so that we only have 1 copper, 1 lead, etc.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
In that case, I'll hold off. Once you get it into a beta or pre-release phase, I'd be happy to put it on my server and let some of my group play it, possible even record it, depending on the exposure you'd like to give it.
Oh, absolutely if you want to record with your friends, by all means. I'm just trying to put some finishing touches on the pack that is going to significantly change some fundamental mechanics like oregen which is going to be tough to retrogen because while I might put new stuff into the world, removing what has already been done is a far more difficult process.

As far as oregen, look at Substratum. @Boqzo1 used it to get rid all of the copied ore in Unstoppable so that we only have 1 copper, 1 lead, etc.
I've seen Substratum a few times, however while it is a good oregen mod, it can't do all the things I want it to do, and it does some things I'm not really happy with. I have few enough mods in my pack that there really *isn't* duplicated ore. The only real one was copper from Forestry (as an optional mod) and Immersive Engineering. I just edited the Forestry config file to not spawn copper, and all done. One of the advantage of a compact mod pack is you have fewer of these problems to deal with.

I'll give Substratum another glance, but unless something has significantly changed with it, I may have to look elsewhere.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Your pack is compact, how many mods is that?
Less than fifty, including all Coremods, libraries, and Forge itself. Depending on how many/few optional mods you use, you can get that number under 40.

Substratum isn't really an oregem mod as I view the term. Basically, what it does it it lets you spawn only one type of each kind of ore so you don't get like three or four types of Copper like was common in previous iterations. But it doesn't really let you generate ores in any pattern other than 'vanilla'. Sure, you can decide how rare or frequent it is, but it isn't going to change what formation you find them in.

It's a great mod, no doubt, and a lot of mod packs are using it. But I want to break out of the 'vanilla ore spawning rules' mold. Which doesn't leave me many options, unfortunately.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Pity you can't simulate having had Blood Magic's Falling Tower Meteors all over. Those are chock full of ores, but it's a totally random mix. It could also be a cool 'back story' for why you're the only person in the world. The previous inhabitants were summoning ores from the sky and over did it.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Pity you can't simulate having had Blood Magic's Falling Tower Meteors all over. Those are chock full of ores, but it's a totally random mix. It could also be a cool 'back story' for why you're the only person in the world. The previous inhabitants were summoning ores from the sky and over did it.
If I can find a mod that can handle it, my plan is as follows:

• Diamonds and Emeralds are going to be found in small geode-like formations encrusted with Obsidian (i.e. you need a pick that can break obsidian to get to the goodies inside).
  • Resonant Ores are also found in roughly circular geode formations that are largely hollow, but might occasionally have one or two crystals fully formed inside. However, the crust is almost entirely resonant ore, providing the player with enough to get started with the discovery of only one or two geodes.
  • Extremely sparse metallic ore placement, perhaps only one or two at a time with a large areas between, maybe only 2-3 of these per chunk.
  • Occasional veins of ore, with a frequency of less than one per chunk, but consisting of 30-50 ore. This would be the template for most metallic ores, with gold veins being smaller and at lower y levels
  • Gold and silver 'comstock' lodes, where these are seen together, as well as lead and silver 'galena' veins. Lapis/Iron veins, with native copper, cassiterite (tin), and bauxite (aluminum) veins found separately.
  • Possibly 'dense ores' (if the mod updates) being found within the middle of these veins

This gives you a pretty decent world which, when combined with Ruins and some of the things it brings to the table and RTG's complete re-write of how the world is built, is not only more realistic but also more interesting to discover. In some ways, having a very sparse general density of ores with periodical veins will actually give you a much higher percentage of the ores naturally occurring to be found by the player because a larger vein is much easier to strike via branch mining with far fewer branches require to find one. Then once you find it, you simply follow it along until it dies out, much like miners have realistically done for centuries. This means a lower dependency on auto-mining techniques because a mining player can find a higher percentage of the already occurring ores until the mid-late game when you simply have a need for tons of resources to make your improbable structures.

This does two things mechanically:

First, because you can find a much larger percentage of the ores manually, you have a lower need of auto-mining, and this pushes back the need for the auto-mining systems which drives power, transportation, and processing to ridiculous over-engineered standards in the still fairly early game, which causes the player to try to 'tech rush', bypassing some of the more interesting technology in an effort to push to the point where they can 'set and forget' a remote mining system, which is powered and sends its results back to base, which is typically end-game tech.

Second, this dramatically reduces the 'ore glut' seen in many systems simply because you've never HAD to set up auto-mining to get everything you needed, so it never occurred to the player to set one up. Which means you don't have a constant influx of ores passively growing while the player is doing other things, because he's always had everything he needed from his manual mining. He may have hundreds of ingots of a given material in his system, but he typically won't have tens of thousands, because he never felt the need to mine that much and never felt the need to set up auto-mining because the resources he obtained manually were sufficient unto his needs.

This is a natural solution to the ore glut problem which is prevalent in many playthroughs. It also makes mining much more interesting for the average youtuber, because you can skip through the regular stuff and cut the video back on when you find a vein to excavate. And it also makes the pack's tech tree more interesting to explore in its fullest rather than trying to find ways to rush to the end of the tree just to get your basic infrastructure set up because of the need for auto-mining to support your infrastructure.

And this is the kind of thing that most pack developers don't consider. I think the only pack team that really is considering something like this is the Resonant Rise team. None of the FTB or Curse packs I'm aware of for 1.10.2 are even considering this take on worldgen in general and oregen in particular. But I think it is one that separates 'edition churn' packs like the DW20 pack from truly great packs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Plasmasnake

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
There I agree completely. Though given that my go to for mining obsidian is still a diamond tipped-pick, I'm curious as to what I'm meant to mine into the diamond/emerald spheres with? Unless the IE drill will cut into it.

There are so many interesting things to be done with oregen, and everyone just works out ways to process more of it. I did see a few people play the Big Dig modpack, which basically had everything spawning at almost any range. So you could see redstone up where you'd normally find copper, or even the occasional diamond.

If you're looking to push back auto-mining, you might consider tweaking recipes on the Heavy Engineering Blocks that the IE excavator require to need something from later in the pack. Although as lightweight as the pack is, I'm not sure what that would be. If you had Mekanism, I'd say the Refined Obsidian Ingots. Though I suppose tweaking it to use more power/t would work just as well. Or possibly disabling it entirely.

On the other hand, with that system, I'm not sure if Mekanism and it's Atomic Disassembler would be the right fit. Even considering you could theoretically get the digiminer and eat all the ores in an area without ever going underground, the Atomic Disassembler has a Vein mode that instantly blows through an entire vein.

I'll have to give Expandable Backpacks a look when I jump to 1.10. I use Backpacks, and have used Iron Backpacks, but I'd never seen Expandables before.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
There I agree completely. Though given that my go to for mining obsidian is still a diamond tipped-pick, I'm curious as to what I'm meant to mine into the diamond/emerald spheres with? Unless the IE drill will cut into it.
Tinker's Construct has several materials capable of mining obsidian that you can obtain, and with a Sharpening Kit, you can increase mining level without changing your material properties. Toss lava and water into your smeltery and you get molten obsidian that can be poured into a sharpening kit mold. Combine with your pick and flint and you suddenly have a pick of whatever material you already had that can go through obsidian, albeit slowly.

If you're looking to push back auto-mining, you might consider tweaking recipes on the Heavy Engineering Blocks that the IE excavator require to need something from later in the pack. Although as lightweight as the pack is, I'm not sure what that would be. If you had Mekanism, I'd say the Refined Obsidian Ingots. Though I suppose tweaking it to use more power/t would work just as well. Or possibly disabling it entirely.

On the other hand, with that system, I'm not sure if Mekanism and it's Atomic Disassembler would be the right fit. Even considering you could theoretically get the digiminer and eat all the ores in an area without ever going underground, the Atomic Disassembler has a Vein mode that instantly blows through an entire vein.
I prefer to discourage auto-mining simply by giving them enough resources that they don't need to auto-mine. And I do that not by increasing ore density, but by using the veins to make them more easily accessible. If you are never hurting for resources, you never feel pressured to make an auto-miner.

I'll have to give Expandable Backpacks a look when I jump to 1.10. I use Backpacks, and have used Iron Backpacks, but I'd never seen Expandables before.
It is similar in concept to Iron Backpacks, in that it is a modular backpack system. One of the things I like about it is that it requires obsidian + leather not only to create but to augment, making it actually more difficult to upgrade than you'd think.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Missed that you have Tinker's in your pack. I know you're not the worlds biggest fan of it, so I suggest having a look at Silent's Gems. It adds some gems that can make upgradeable picks, axes and swords. Or can be combined with other things and make Super Charged versions that are even stronger. They're extremely cool, and extremely fun. Gems are pretty common, though the Chaos ore needed to upgrade them or Super Charge is less so, but the clusters it turns up in are pretty large.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
I'm late to the party on this discussion, but as both an amateur pack maker and player, I have to voice how strongly I feel that the subterranean world gen can make or break a pack. Out of all the mods that 1.7 offered, the one I miss the most is COFHcore. The things I could do with that mod was incredible, and I've yet to see anything come close to the ease of use or overall functionality.

You won't hear it said often, but FTB Resurrection changed my expectation of what world gen could be. GT's large but spread out veins altered how I mined, transported, and stored my resources compared to the Kitchen Sink packs I cut my teeth on. Regrowth challenged that notion again, in a completely different way, which was unique to anything I had played before. Since playing those two packs in particular, I have been intrigued with customizing ore generation.

In the last pack I put together for 1.7, I was able to return to the large but distant veins in a highly Rotarycraft suite based pack. I was able to insert TiCo gravel ores into naturally occurring gravel pockets and create small geodes of Certus Quartz wrapped in Skystone (I killed the meteor gen and added a crafting recipes for the presses). All this took time, testing, and patience, but the world felt amazing once we dug into it. Enough ore to not starve us, but enough need for more to keep doing exploratory digs and spelunking until we found a vein of each resource. Once we found a vein, a mining station was set up that lasted us long enough that rail service was a viable option (the lack of other item teleporting mods helped too, but that doesn't suit the point). If ore gen had been standard fare, I never would have experienced the joy and PITA of RailCraft trains, but instead just strip mined an area until I had enough"stuff".

Sorry to continue to derail your thread @JaRyCu . I'll go back to lurking in the shadows and using bits of what I see as inspiration for my own creations.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I've started a new, custom modpack. It's a bit like a proper kitchen sink, but I've added several mods that gen ores, without actually setting anything up to 'Don't gen your ore.' This means that I have a surplus of things. I have Railcraft Poor Ores, with Forestry, Metallurgy, Tinkers, IE, Nuclearcraft, and TE copper all generating. I will never lack for copper.

It's an interesting change from my other mod pack, where only CofH oregen was enabled but was enhanced by Highlands biome tweaks that cause things to generate more heavily in certain biomes. For example, all the mountain biomes generate ores double the normal height. Which makes auto-mining more useful. You'll still generate tremendous amounts of Cobblestone, but you also get a lot more ore than you would from a vanilla equivalent. I like that specifically, with the enticement to mine there, whether automatically or with a big hammer, chopping holes in the mountain.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
I would only be OK with that kind of ore gen in a pack I was using to test new mods and/or ceiss mod compatibility. Having so plentiful resources allows you to fly through progression, but usually leaves me not building anything other than machines scattered around an area. Scarcity somehow propels me to build actual buildings to put things in. Funny, I figured it would be the opposite, but running out of something causes me to stop, then my ADD kicks in and I find a new project to work on. Then I usually have 20+ projects in varying states of progress, which seems to elongate my worlds life.

Of course, it is a nice change of pace sometimes...

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
You'd think that, but it gets to the point where you think you've found a new ore and oh, ANOTHER type of Copper. I also forgot Engineer's Toolbox Copper. Seven different types is a bit too much, but it's not at all about the mining this time around, so I can ignore the imbalance.

As for the other, it seems like a lot, but I filled up to the half-million cobble ludicrously fast, and then the Quarry took a fairly long time to get through the mountain. (Of course I set it up way in the air and was running power via train. So having a bit of teleportation would make it much faster.) At the moment I'm running all the stuff to chunkloaded, but beyond visual range smelting. So it's taking a bit to process. I did manage to fill three double chests with ores though, which is kind of awesome.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Well, now that CoFH has updated, I will be using it as my oregen mod of choice and will be tinkering with the .cfg file over the next day or so. Should have it updated by the end of the week.

Current iteration of ShneekeyCraft (0.5.0) has default settings. Once I get the settings set up, I'll feel comfortable calling it 1.0 release.

Reactions: Henry Link

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Last edited: