JaRyCu's Slightly Modded Minecraft 1.10.2

JaRyCu

Sep 29, 2015
South Georgia, USA
Hey there boys & girls! It seems that my attention span is that of an elderly gnat, so I'm going to play two packs at once and attempt to maintain two build journals while we eagerly await the FTB Infinity 1.10.2 release. Over the last week, I've focused on the combined Infinity Evolved: Expert server with @Boqzo1 that I've burned myself out a little, so I decided I needed something lighter to take the edge off.

No - I'm not quitting the Expert server unless it gets taken down, but I really need something to do that's not so intentionally difficult.

I decided to go backwards and forwards at the same time. I'm going backwards because, for this project, I'm pretty much leaving the world of modded Minecraft. This is the barest of barebones modpacks I've ever seen, having only 4 mods in it that I just can't do without:

JourneyMap (yes I know there are vanilla maps, but sheesh)
JEI (I never memorized all the vanilla recipes)
Inventory Tweaks (my inventory MUST BE ORGANIZED!!!!)
FastLeafDecay (added 9/19/16)
VeinMiner (added 9/23/16)
WAILA & WAWLA (added 9/24/16)

That's it. No Botania or Pams or IC2 or anything else. Nothing to enhance my redstone creativeness. Nothing that needs RF or mana.

The forward part of this is that I'm using Minecraft 1.10.2. Just the good ol' Vanilla Minecraft version, though. I'll use this header post as a table of contents so that you can quickly link to the build journal updates. This isn't being built on a server - I'm just doing it on my PC, so there's no progress unless I'm actually logged into the world.

If you like what you see, TELL ME! Comments, suggestions, and criticisms are all welcome as long as you're nice about it. :cool:

Post 1 - Perfect Spawn!
Post 2 - Getting Some Work Done
Post 3 - Expanding My World
Post 4 - Chuck's Got Wool
Post 5 - Meet Domino
Post 6 - I FOUND IT!!!
(small update)
Post 7 - Starting the Cave Conversion
Post 8 - Prince Charming & the XP Farm
Post 9 - Quality of Life Upgrades
Post 10 - Live Server Play!!

Post 11 - Welcome to Northern Everspring!

Last edited:
Reactions: Boqzo1

JaRyCu

Sep 29, 2015
South Georgia, USA
Entry #1 - Perfect Spawn!

Whenever I create a new world, I always use a custom seed and base it on whatever I'm doing or reading. For example, I have an Infinity Evolved world based on the seed "boobies" and it was an epic spawn point. I loved it. For this world, I kept it more mundane and used "Vanilla Build Journal" (without the quotes, of course).

Here's what I started with last night when I created the world:

sMTn9dW.png

vHzy79w.png

I'm not playing creative mode, so I can't fly up, but I'm basically on a small peninsula with ocean on one side and rivers on the other three, outside of the little sandbar in the bottom picture.

I immediately made a table and some tools and set about cutting down trees and breaking grass so I could get renewable food. I also got lucky and found a couple of pumpkins, so I planted a few seeds to get those up and going. The first 2 nights, I had to hide in a cave I made up in the mountains because I had creepers and skeletons all over my island. The tree cover was pretty thick, and it took a while to clear it out.

Eventually I built a house, then chests, furnaces, a dock, and a lot of other things. Since I wasn't planning on doing a build journal at first, I didn't take a lot of construction pictures of stage 1, but from here on out I will. Here is what I have so far:

sneIlYq.png

AMMPcZr.png

UxOuxz6.png

UN52ZZd.png

0LYBtsS.png

As you can see, I put a lot of work into it. I cleared the island down to sea level, built cobble fences and surrounded nearly the entire island with them, then lit them up. That way I shouldn't have mobs swimming up to the island. I've got sugar cane, wheat, and pumpkins in manual farms for now, and I've mined down to diamond level. I've only found enough diamonds to make a sword, pickaxe, and boots, but I'm on my way. I have stacks of cobble that I'm smelting into smooth stone for building projects later, and I have 2-3 stacks of redstone already. I don't have a huge amount of gold or iron, but I have enough so that I'm fully-armored and I can think about making things.

I've also got a boat. The changes to boats in 1.10 are PHENOMENAL. I used to hate using boats, but they are so much fun in this version of MC. I had to row several thousand blocks around my world to find sheep in order to make the bed, and it felt like I was in a motorboat. Instant steering, fast movement...the new boats have it all. I can even break them and pick them up! That's why I have a dock right on front of the house - I can park the boat there, and it stays without despawning, and then I can also fish from it. That's a win/win scenario for me.

For this first post, I'll leave you with a sunrise shot from my docks:

wr1LC9G.png

Reactions: Boqzo1

Inge88

Jan 16, 2013
Italy
www.twitch.tv
@Inge88 I see in your sig that you stream on Twitch. Can you tell me more about that? I don't mind if you do it here on the thread, or you can PM me, but I'm interested in getting into Twitch & YouTube as well.
Well i am not that much into streaming, i just do it every now and then when i have time.
What do you want to know exactly?

Reactions: JaRyCu

JaRyCu

Sep 29, 2015
South Georgia, USA
Well i am not that much into streaming, i just do it every now and then when i have time.
What do you want to know exactly?

Everything! LOL

I think my computer's more than good enough to start streaming. I just bought it 3 months ago or so, and the video card is the only thing holding it back. (...and it's not that bad, either.) I'd just like a step-by-step guide on how to do it correctly and be good at it.

JaRyCu

Sep 29, 2015
South Georgia, USA
Post 2 - Getting Some Work Done

Hey there Minecrafting Peeps! Today I had 2 goals for my world today: The first goal was to do something cool (in my opinion) and the second goal was to explore a little.

In order to get something done, in this world you have to go out and gather resources. Since there's no RF and no magic beyond enchanting, it all has to be done manually, so I set off down into my mine. Obviously I've been using this mine since I started the world, but I didn't show it off in the previous post, so here we go:

Yesterday when I started this spawn, I noticed a hole in the cave next to my island. When I went over to it, I found that the cave was masking a giant canyon. I took my bucket and made a waterfall and went to the bottom of the cavern.

znGmqn6.png

zrW3R0J.png

My waterfall ended right where another picked up, so I literally rode all the way down. For the trip back up, I installed dividers and stairs, which you can see some of in the 2nd picture. After that, I made my way down to level 10 to start mining.

qCVEq2c.png

Yeah, it's a long way down. 50 something blocks down. Around lava, stopping for iron and coal. And slogging tons of cobble and rock around. Man it's a good thing I've built like a Russian stallion!

szlZtOs.png

Once I got down to 10, I didn't the standard shaft mining.

inpvq3I.png

I did A LOT of the standard mining. I also found a gigantic underground cave, so I took an hour or two and wandered, lighting it up, fighting mobs, etc. This map doesn't show my entire mine because I did go up some and down some, and only so many levels show up at once on JourneyMap.

My main goal in going down to the mines was to get 10-15 pieces of obsidian so I could get into the nether. I also wanted more diamonds because my pick was getting pretty low on durability and I needed to repair it. Once both goals were accomplished, I headed back to the house. After stowing all of my gear, I decided to make a cool-looking nether portal:

GJr0KMi.png

After I did that, the only thing left was to empty my pockets and jump through the portal.

GOCGImr.png

First thing's first: I covered the portal in netherrack and made a little room. This would lessen the chances of things wandering through and it would also make it harder for a ghast to destroy it and strand me here. After that, I set out looking for a nether fortress. Well, I walked out, turned right, and saw glowstone on the floor. When I went over to it, I was shocked to find it attached to a fortress!

WEIuBYH.png

It's hard to make out, but when I left I put a torch in the hallway so you could kinda see it.

The last thing I did was to go after a ghast. I didn't do it on purpose -- the stupid thing spawned right behind me. Well, I did what any Southern boy would do and used my diamond sword to whack the fireball back it. I was so close, I hit it on the first try and got a ghast tear.

DjyyXao.png

I didn't act fast enough to get a picture of the ghast, so I figured showing off the Return to Sender achievement would be just as good. :cool:

My haul in the nether was good. I got a saddle, golden horse armor, a ghast tear, 3 blaze rods, nether wart, and a wither skeleton skull, not to mention various other things you always get.

When I got back to the Overworld, I figured it'd be a great time to setup a building where I could do enchanting and brewing. Given that I'm playing Vanilla, there's no Chisel or Chisels 'n Bits or anything like that, so I'm stuck using just Vanilla building materials. This proved to be a challenge at first, but then I realized I'd kept 2 stacks of diorite and some dark oak, which made for a neat contrast. Throw in some light gray-stained glass, and I found a combination that made me happy.

sD6PJyS.png

iWXjvCS.png

Q0OdXDn.png

That's the end of my day today, and I feel like I accomplished both goals. Be sure to let me know what you think and what kinds of things you'd like to see, and hit that 'like' button if you like what you see so far.

PS: I don't post all of the screenshots that I take. Some of them don't fit the narrative once I start writing, and some I'll use in later posts where they make more sense. I create a new Imgur album for each post, however, and I'm going to start linking that album to the post so that you can see all of the images that I left out. Here is the album for this post: http://imgur.com/a/2WePg

Inge88

Jan 16, 2013
Italy
www.twitch.tv
Everything! LOL

I think my computer's more than good enough to start streaming. I just bought it 3 months ago or so, and the video card is the only thing holding it back. (...and it's not that bad, either.) I'd just like a step-by-step guide on how to do it correctly and be good at it.

Hm, pc isnt that big of a deal if you can run a program without losing a lot of fps..
I streamed using OBS, wich is a kinda light program.
The one and only thing you require to have is a good connection.
Obs should be easy to configure, otherwise google is our friend.

I got a very slow connection, i can stream using very low bit rates but i got serious chat lags, ask @Middleclaw about that. :D:p

JaRyCu

Sep 29, 2015
South Georgia, USA
I'm playing this world as a single player world right now. Just out of curiosity, how many people would hop on and play fairly regularly if I moved it to a small server online that I'd leave up 24/7?

Inge88

Jan 16, 2013
Italy
www.twitch.tv
I'm playing this world as a single player world right now. Just out of curiosity, how many people would hop on and play fairly regularly if I moved it to a small server online that I'd leave up 24/7?

I would be glad to play, but with mods it should be whitelisted to just some people that do a journal or something like that cause it would lag too much otherwise

JaRyCu

Sep 29, 2015
South Georgia, USA
I would be glad to play, but with mods it should be whitelisted to just some people that do a journal or something like that cause it would lag too much otherwise

I kind of agree, except I'm only using 4 mods and none of them add anything to the world. ;) If you were to come on, or anyone else for that matter, I'd encourage streaming and/or LPs on YouTube, and of course build journals here too if someone was led to do them like I am. I'd definitely whitelist it, though, because I want control over who's playing.

JaRyCu

Sep 29, 2015
South Georgia, USA
Post 3 - Expanding My World

I didn't get a ton done today, but I did make some upgrades to my living situation. The first thing I did was to make a bunch more track and then update my mineshaft. I had installed stairs on it the first night I played in this world, so I had to start by removing all of them. Then I laid an active redstone rail down every 3rd step with a hidden redstone torch to power them and standard rail on the other 2. At the top and bottom, I placed a button-block to activate the cart and then I took a ride down into the mines. It was so much more fun than I thought it would be I forgot to go mining and just rode the track for a while. :D

66vbxWs.png

MAxjSdS.png

After I did that for a bit, I decided that I was sick of living in a cobblestone hovel with dirt floors, so I upgraded it. I didn't expand it or anything, but I did make it look a lot nicer. I cooked up some smooth stone, formed it into bricks, and also changed my andesite into the polished form and used it for flooring. Then I upgraded the doors and ceiling.

9MZgU6Z.png

XoJ8Mle.png

I also took out the torches and added in glowstone lamps. I'm much happier with my domicile now.

Speaking of lamps, I decided to challenge myself. I completely, totally suck at redstone contraptions. I've watched a TON of iJevin, Hypno, DMAC, Sl1pg8r, and most of the other Hermitcrafters, and I also see them doing awesome things with redstone even in modded worlds. I decided to do vanilla, in part, to force myself to learn to use redstone.

And tonight I was successful. The riverbank between my main house and enchanting & brewing house is really dark, and I don't want to just stick torches out there like everyone else does. I crafted up 7-8 redstone lamps, a daylight sensor, 10 repeaters, and I went out there. I dug up the entire embankment and laid down redstone and repeaters and lamps and completely screwed the pooch. The would turn on in the day and off at night, which was completely pointless. Then I figured out that I could right-click the sensor and it would activate at night, then I figured out how to work the repeaters into the network, and bam, I was off to the races. After that, I put the hill back like it was, hid the sensor, and waited until nightfall.

And it worked!

6QK4Ow4.png

JzKfPfX.png

Finally, I decided I needed a large animal enclosure. I already have chickens near the above-ground rail line, and I'm slowly breeding them. I didn't take screenshots (yet), but it's a small pen where the entire floor is made of connected hoppers that catch all the eggs and deposits them in a chest. Pretty simple once I realized that hoppers can combine to make a transport line, similar to Ender IO or Buildcraft piping. It doesn't look as cool, but it works the same.

On my island, there's no real spot for cows, so I waded across the river and cleared out a large peninsula that bordered my house. After that, I designed a really cool-looking fence (in my opinion), created a rain shelter that will eventually have a water trough and hay bales, and then rounded up some of the "forest cows" for breeding.

gYMWMQj.png

vo9Aeql.png

t772Cdc.png

u3UlAPO.png

iMo0CwC.png

I can't remember if I showed it off, but I also have crop storage as well on the other side of my island. Here's a shot of that:

OjS7drs.png

I made the a couple of days ago, but never found a good spot for it to fit into a post. It seems to fit here, though.

Finally, here's the link to the entire album if you'd like to look at that: http://imgur.com/a/uB9nz

PS: I'm thinking of doing a large rail line across the ocean and to various parts of my island. I'd love to know what @KingTriaxx thinks and what all can be done with vanilla Minecraft rails.

Middleclaw

Apr 12, 2014
You can make your storage more compact if you stick trapped chests between the regular chests. I used to do that a lot when making a vanilla sorting system with an auto smelter. An example can be shown here.
auva.png

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I'm not really good with vanilla rails, but most of the things you can do with Railcraft you can do in vanilla, it's just more of a nuisance. May want to try out Signals which is a Railcraft type mod that lets you route carts around on vanilla rail systems.

Elevating your rail system is a good option, so it goes over the water, and you don't have to worry about your levers or torches getting washed away. Or you can do something very cool, and sink the railway a block or two into the water with a glass floorand sides so you're actually riding along below the waves. (You need wood or stone under the rails, but either side can be glass.)

Internet is always the limiting factor for streaming. I can only upload, because I have sat internet, but if you can run Minecraft at a consistently good FPS you should have no issue streaming.

I just manually inverted my daylight sensor. Didn't know you could right click it. Interesting.

JaRyCu

Sep 29, 2015
South Georgia, USA
Post 4 - Chuck's Got Wool

Today I had to make decisions. That's never fun, which explains why 102% of nerds still live with their mama. (I took that number from an un-scientific poll where I talked to no one and completely made up that statistic.)

My decision was this: I could either a) tear down most of the forest around my home, ruining it's epic beauty, but gaining space for a sheep farm, or b) find land close by that was more suitable, build an expansive sheep farm, wheat farm (to feed them), and tree farm (to replace what I took), and a rail line to get there. To make my decision, I climbed up the mountain next to my home to my "thinking spot," and looked at my land as I've built it so far.

EBAD4PH.png

I needed a second opinion, so I climbed the big spruce tree that I grew a few days ago and took a look from the other side of my island.

lvLDW0C.png

Man, my new home is pretty. I ended up staying in the tree all day just admiring it and forgot what I went up there to think about. A few hours later, I got mad at the tree and chopped it down, then planted 3 more to take its place. The middle one grew all funky, with the leaves on the ground. I've honestly never seen a tree do that. It is also trying to eat one of my jack-o-lanterns.

LYoObEU.png

Since it was nightfall, I opted to sleep on the issue of the sheep farm. When I woke the next morning, I decided I should take my boat somewhere else and do it. I headed across the bay in front of my home because there was a swampy area just within sight, and I thought I remembered there being "Sheep o'the Swamp" there. I was right, there were 4-5 sheep living there already, tons of oaks covered in vines, and a decent, hilly land mass that I could terraform into something better. There was also a deep chasm on the side of the island with iron and coal within easy reach, so I figured this would be the perfect location for the JaRyCu Wool Farm.

Fk1j1WS.png

Their little crossed eyes scare me. They must be contained.

After getting the visible iron and coal from the chasm, I setup a little table, furnace, and bed, and then started moving dirt around. And then I moved more dirt. And more dirt. and. more. dirt. OMG the dirt...there was so much dirt. It had to be moved from one spot to another, and then to another spot from a different spot.

And then I had to move even more dirt.

While I was moving the dirt around, I also chopped down trees and planted baby trees because I knew I'd need a lot of wood to build the rail line that will complete this project.

CPjkaUN.png

I'd brought 2 stacks of spruce with me from when I got mad at the big tree back at the home base, so I divided that into planks, made slabs out of the swamp oak, and built a pen for the sheep to breed and live in. I used the same, escape-proof design that I used with the cow enclosure, except I made this one even bigger. Since there was no natural hill that I built the pen up against, I also built a rain and feeding shelter into the middle of the pen here. I'm not completely happy with the design, but the sheep seem to like it. Whenever I breed them, the baby sheep end up in there for some reason.

Ti9IXIH.png

GtvqrXs.png

wj5jzdj.png

r9Brqcx.png

oZw1dRs.png

Thanks to JourneyMap, I can show you the top-down view as well. There's a wheat farm so that I have easy access to food for the sheep, and I planted sugarcane as well because, well, why not?

A few days ago, when I was out exploring the world and looking for horses, I found another swamp with slimes in it. Using what I got from those slimes, I was able to make leads and quickly rounded up all of the swamp sheep and put them in the enclosure. There were only 5, but it only takes 2 to tango, so I knew I could give them some "sexy wheat" and they'd make babies. And make babies they did! Right across the bay was a flower forest, so I went over and got several colors to make dyes, then came back and started genetically dye-engineering my sheep to get different colors.

x1xws4B.png

MqkeCWI.png

c72a5Ao.png

Apparently a red sheep + a white sheep = a pink sheep. Nice!

Now the only thing left to do is to breed more sheep, then start harvesting the wool from them.

Oh wait, I need a better way than a rowboat to get to and from this island. I still need the rail lines. My base is around 450 blocks diagonally from here. If I were doing a YouTube Let's Play on this world, this is where I'd queue up the cheesy 80's montage music and show a lot of wood laying, hole digging, track laying, and tree chopping. Fortunately for you, this ain't on video. I didn't even take screenshots because there was almost nothing worth showing from the 2 hours adventure of building a rail line.

Except for one. This post is called "Chuck's Got Wool" for a reason. Meet Chuck.

JM3HNYB.png

Chuck was never told by his mama that he's a chicken. He thinks he's a duck with massive fangs, and he guards the Isle of Sheep. (Chicken + duck = Chuck) No matter what I do, he swims around the island, protecting his sheep from all manner of predators. Since he doesn't know he's a chicken and chicken's don't have teeth (or lips), he does a really good job at keeping the sheep's natural enemies at bay. I've yet to see a sheep killed by a single squid yet. Chuck's a hero and should be respected, so I've vowed not to turn him into a rotisserie chicken.

vIIzP4j.png

Here you can see the entire rail line. I ran out of rails shortly before the end, meaning I'll need to go mining this morning to get more iron and gold. I don't need a lot, but I just don't have enough to finish the line. Also, while I was building, I decided that the area where the rail turns south would be an awesome place to build a fishing village. When I get to that project, I'll have to alter the rail line so that you can get off there and/or continue on to the sheep farm. I also need to finish the rail line. Right now it's literally a 3-wide strip of wood magically hovering over the water. I want to go back and build supports, and I need to add the redstone controls to activate the powered rails that'll keep the cart going.

What do you think so far? Are you enjoying reading this? Am I just documenting this build for me? Obviously I have an imagination, but I would love to see your ideas and thoughts about what's going on so far.

link to Imgur album for this post

Last edited:

Boqzo1

Jul 29, 2019
Looks awesome! It's cool to see a vanilla build journal rather than a modded one like most do. It's nice to see what you can build and do with the simple things. :)

Scottly318

Jul 29, 2019
The thing I like is A: it's different, B: it truly shows creativity in not just building but any amount of automation and finally C: it's all done on a limited amount of rss.