Is there a machine in FTB 1.5.2 with GT that farms trees?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

romrider07

Jul 29, 2019
Is there any trees that automatically plants and harvests trees in the FTB 1.5.2 with GT? I'm new to FTB lol

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Forestry multifarms.
MFR planters, harvesters and fertilizers
Turtles for the programming-minded

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
I'm pretty sure thats not his 'old' mindset, he'll always be a turtle addict.

As for tree farming, MFR farms are outrageously good.

No. He doesn't use turtles that often.

Also, MFR tree farms are not "outrageously" good. Forestry farms are just weak by comparison. They are generally considered weak, though, so this should be no surprise.

Reactions: Loufmier

InfamousAsHell

Jul 29, 2019
Since everyone else seems to be avoiding it, Steve's Cart's wood cutter carts can work with every type of tree but to say they are expensive is an understatement. Forestry's multifarms require a bit of tin to make and apatite for fertiliser to run which can be a problem as apatite spawns higher in the world then most ores, unless you have plugins for forestry in which case you can just use MFR's fertiliser. MFR's harvester is the cheapest and easiest to run, but cant harvest some trees like forestry trees,so you should probably use that instead to start of with and try and work your way to a better one. Or you could have a complicated turtle/quarry/filler system to farm trees.

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
Also, MFR tree farms are not "outrageously" good.

A few worlds ago, I had a 25x25 farm that farmed EBXL redwood trees, with a bunch of lilypads of fertility underneath it. The amount of wood was sufficient to keep about 25 36hp boilers going (probably more actually, though that particular world was on my laptop, meaning it was rather laggy. It wouldn't be a problem on my PC). You are right though, forestry farms are just crap.

When I update to 1.5(6) i'll probably use a SC tree farm despite the nerf - those things are just so cool.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
And here we see a perfect example of why many modders employ the "my machine does the same thing as that other mod but costs less and gives you more" method to get people to play their mods.

It works great.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
A few worlds ago, I had a 25x25 farm that farmed EBXL redwood trees, with a bunch of lilypads of fertility underneath it. The amount of wood was sufficient to keep about 25 36hp boilers going (probably more actually, though that particular world was on my laptop, meaning it was rather laggy. It wouldn't be a problem on my PC). You are right though, forestry farms are just crap.

The lilypads and sawmills that are what is so awesome there. It is not like the actual harvest speed is meaningful, really.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
And here we see a perfect example of why many modders employ the "my machine does the same thing as that other mod but costs less and gives you more" method to get people to play their mods.

It works great.

MFR has been around for a long time and the changelog on the minecraft forum post doesn't appear to go back far enough to the point when the harvester was added. This is at least before 1.4.7 and MFR 2.0.1. I know forestry is quite old too but I don't think its fair to say that [MFR] is copying another mod, the implication being that Sengir has the exclusive right to farming. Sorry if I misunderstood your post I just thought this was a point worth making.

Also, MFR has plenty more to offer than just harvesters. I imagine that the PLC, animal farming, conveyor belts and other cool stuff will be attractive too.

To the OP, MFR tree farms are very good, and they are cleverly designed in the way that they integrate with one another.

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
The lilypads and sawmills that are what is so awesome there. It is not like the actual harvest speed is meaningful, really.
True. But even without those, you're still producing tons of fuel for boilers with little cost.

It works great.
Yes, I have noticed efficiency>fun for most people.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019

It works great.

Forestry's farms are great for lots of things, but their Apatite constraint sucks. If Sengir removed this you'd see more people use them. Modulo this, I think the the forestry farms are actually less power per unit area (especially when upgraded). The actual setup cost is sorta immaterial (for me, I enjoy building the forestry farms a lot more). The forestry farms harvest nearly as fast as the MFR farms when correctly powered, so it's really not about the speed at which they run.

The MFR farms are actually functionally better though. They let you have more fine-grained control over planting. They are ostensibly "less expensive" in vanilla mode, but toss on the TE or GT recipes to see a change there. In most cases tin is a semi-infinite resource UNLESS you build forestry farms, so I'm not sure the cost of the farms really affects people's decisions at all.[DOUBLEPOST=1373914943][/DOUBLEPOST]
True. But even without those, you're still producing tons of fuel for boilers with little cost.

Same for every treefarm. Even if you don't use the sawmill, this is how it is meant to work. The thing about boilers is that once you get the solid fuel boilers up to max temp they're frightfully efficient. DoctorOr's go-to phrase for how good they get is "Crazy Moon Math". I concur.

InfamousAsHell

Jul 29, 2019
Forestry's farms are great for lots of things, but their Apatite constraint sucks. If Sengir removed this you'd see more people use them.
Maybe I wasn't clear with my earlier post, with Plugins for Forestry you can craft MFR fertiliser into Forestry fertiliser. So with a sewer and composter set up somewhere fertiliser becomes no problem at all. That said I think I PfF is only currently included in the 1.5.2 beta packs.

flappy

Jul 29, 2019
Forestry's farms are great for lots of things, but their Apatite constraint sucks. If Sengir removed this you'd see more people use them. Modulo this, I think the the forestry farms are actually less power per unit area (especially when upgraded). The actual setup cost is sorta immaterial (for me, I enjoy building the forestry farms a lot more). The forestry farms harvest nearly as fast as the MFR farms when correctly powered, so it's really not about the speed at which they run.

The MFR farms are actually functionally better though. They let you have more fine-grained control over planting. They are ostensibly "less expensive" in vanilla mode, but toss on the TE or GT recipes to see a change there. In most cases tin is a semi-infinite resource UNLESS you build forestry farms, so I'm not sure the cost of the farms really affects people's decisions at all.[DOUBLEPOST=1373914943][/DOUBLEPOST]

Same for every treefarm. Even if you don't use the sawmill, this is how it is meant to work. The thing about boilers is that once you get the solid fuel boilers up to max temp they're frightfully efficient. DoctorOr's go-to phrase for how good they get is "Crazy Moon Math". I concur.
Don't forget my favorite way of getting Forestry fertilizer - Railcraft saltpeter. It's what I've used for some time now to feed my farm(s). Best thing is, it's 100% renewable.

Zarkov

Mar 22, 2013

It works great.

Granted, it probably is a better route to take than nerfing vanilla mechanics and requiring people to craft up to a hundred blocks for a decently sized tree farm.

I just don't see how using a multifarm is more fun, or otherwise better, than MFR's setup? Steve's Carts are different, since they work in a unique way. It just went a bit gregtastic recently.

To me it actually seems that modders (as far as tree farms are concerned) have been doing the opposite of what you describe. Altering their setups in a way that to many players probably spells out "are you looking for viable alternatives yet?"