Is there a machine in FTB 1.5.2 with GT that farms trees?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
Do they work with Forestry-bred trees? I don't think they do. I may be wrong though, and it may depend on version.

There is an upgrade called tree: exotic and it looks like a floppy disk. This allows you to chop down forestry trees (and quite a lot of different modded trees if I am getting the right impression). At the end of this video a steve's cart chops down a baobab

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Granted, it probably is a better route to take than nerfing vanilla mechanics and requiring people to craft up to a hundred blocks for a decently sized tree farm.

I just don't see how using a multifarm is more fun, or otherwise better, than MFR's setup? Steve's Carts are different, since they work in a unique way. It just went a bit gregtastic recently.

To me it actually seems that modders (as far as tree farms are concerned) have been doing the opposite of what you describe. Altering their setups in a way that to many players probably spells out "are you looking for viable alternatives yet?"

I'm not sure what GregTech has to do with a discussion regarding tree farms...?

The point I was making is: Forestry's multifarm is not in any way, shape or form bad. Yet we have people running around telling newcomers that they are "weak" or "crap" or other such tomfoolery, because when MFR joined the modpacks, it made available a setup that costs less to build, and generates output comparable to an upgraded multifarm without the need to upgrade it.

That doesn't make multifarms "crap". It simply makes MFR better for getting infinite fuel with as little actual gameplay involved as possible.

It's oddly reminiscent of half ayear ago when Steve's Carts was all the rage. Again because it cost less to build and generated high output off the bat. Then VSWE went and gave it a well-needed toning down, and suddenly the Steve's Carts fan camp is a ghost town. 95% of all people who ever touched the mod did so only because of its broken tree farm, and when it stopped being broken they all left in a huff. Heck, it took 10 posts in this thread for someone to even mention that yes, it still exists.

Riuga

Jul 29, 2019
I think SC is not OP in the sense that it's infinitely expandable vs MFR farm.

If you keep increasing the size of the farm, the cost of the MFR farms vs SC will start to be more comparable with each other.

I'm on the same generic boat for Multifarms tho.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Just waiting for the day for someone to make trees take 180 in game hours to mature, equating to 10 years real time. Deforestation will then be a common issue on servers, as well as in the real world.

All organic renewable stuff in MC grows insanely fast, much more then the 20 minute to 24 hour ratio (I'll just place this sapling, 2 seconds later (if lucky), one tree), how any modder can balance around that is an achievement in itself.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
Just waiting for the day for someone to make trees take 180 in game hours to mature, equating to 10 years real time. Deforestation will then be a common issue on servers, as well as in the real world.

All organic renewable stuff in MC grows insanely fast, much more then the 20 minute to 24 hour ratio (I'll just place this sapling, 2 seconds later (if lucky), one tree), how any modder can balance around that is an achievement in itself.
games are op. duh.

Zarkov

Mar 22, 2013
I'm not sure what GregTech has to do with a discussion regarding tree farms...?
I'm talking about expensive recipes in general, like requiring ~50 diamonds and a bunch of ghast tears for a maintenance free tree farm, not about GregTech as such.

The point I was making is: Forestry's multifarm is not in any way, shape or form bad.
Except they need apatite, which in my opinion makes them bad since I like fully self-sustained setups.

That doesn't make multifarms "crap". It simply makes MFR better for getting infinite fuel with as little actual gameplay involved as possible.
Maybe the "little actual game play" that remains is the part that people actually cares about? You know, along the lines of building bases that work well and look decent, as opposed to mindlessly crafting a ton of blocks for a simple task?

95% of all people who ever touched the mod did so only because of its broken tree farm, and when it stopped being broken they all left in a huff. Heck, it took 10 posts in this thread for someone to even mention that yes, it still exists.
Strange, it's was the exact opposite for me. I used the SC tree farm when it was working just fine, and then stopped when it become ridiculously expensive, to the point where it now actually can be considered broken.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe the "little actual game play" that remains is the part that people actually cares about? You know, along the lines of building bases that work well and look decent, as opposed to mindlessly crafting a ton of blocks for a simple task?

Forestry's gameplay is centered around breeding decent trees for its farms to use. The farm starts out at a base performance level that can be significantly increased by genetically engineering a tree species suited for your needs. You can customize them for sapling, fruit or wood output. The best trees can even do all of it at once. Of course, if you just pop some vanilla saplings into the multifarm, it's possible that it might underperform a little...

InfamousAsHell

Jul 29, 2019
Do they work with Forestry-bred trees? I don't think they do. I may be wrong though, and it may depend on version.
Well you need the exotic trees addon on the cart and they are only in the 1.5.x versions....
Except they need apatite, which in my opinion makes them bad since I like fully self-sustained setups.
With Plugins for Forestry you can craft the manure based fertiliser from MFR directly into the apatite based fertiliser from Forestry. I don't mean to be a jerk but I have stated this three times now and it seems to have been ignored. This is vital information for a multifarm setup unless you are using a 1.4.7 pack in which case continue to ignore me.

Zarkov

Mar 22, 2013
With Plugins for Forestry you can craft the manure based fertiliser from MFR directly into the apatite based fertiliser from Forestry. I don't mean to be a jerk but I have stated this three times now and it seems to have been ignored. This is vital information for a multifarm setup unless you are using a 1.4.7 pack in which case continue to ignore me.

Thanks for being persistent :) With that feature and some tree breeding, maybe it's time to revisit the multifarms.