Is there a "give up on RP" ETA?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Status
Not open for further replies.

danny75

Jul 29, 2019
be grateful we've been given early access to a beta pack. we could easily have been deprived of any pack until rp2 was ready, and then what would people complain about? have patience...do other things...read a book:cool:

MrZwij

Jul 29, 2019
A cutoff date would be nice to finally see all the improvements in the other mods, but it could delay RedPower even further. I imagine the FTB team would very hesitant to issue a major release for everything else, then quickly issue another one for RP2.

Zaik

Jul 29, 2019
Eh, now I feel bad for opening the thread.

Don't, all you've done is say what plenty of people were thinking.

It's kind of perplexing to have an entire modpack that is planning to have standardized block IDs and configs sit on it's hands waiting around for one mod to update. The entire point of going to the trouble to standardize IDs/configs is so you don't get stuck waiting like that, you could go ahead and start playing immediately on whatever patch and your world would be fine when other mods are completed and added in later.

If anyone out there is actually "hurt" by what amounts to common sense, they can just deal with it.

Vilmos

Jul 29, 2019
It's kind of perplexing to have an entire modpack that is planning to have standardized block IDs and configs sit on it's hands waiting around for one mod to update. The entire point of going to the trouble to standardize IDs/configs is so you don't get stuck waiting like that, you could go ahead and start playing immediately on whatever patch and your world would be fine when other mods are completed and added in later.

This is exactly what I've been thinking. So we have standardized IDs, ready to add in packs without issues, they already know the IDs of RP2 anyway since it has been in closed testing. What exactly is the benefit of not updating other modpacks that have major bugfixes?

dronf

Jul 29, 2019
I feel like tying the modpack to a perpetually "almost done" mod is going to hurt the momentum of the FTB pack/launcher. At this point every mod from the 1.4.2 beta pack has had updates, many with important bug fixes. Releasing a 1.4.5 update(of just the mods in the beta pack) would be a great service to the users, regardless of the rp2 release date.

bwillb

Jul 29, 2019
Two weeks ago there were four bugs, not a month.

Then there were 3, then two.

Redpower will have a release by the end of the month. My big question is: How long after RP2 might the pack be ready? But stop freaking out about a lack of news, news is coming, were getting an update on how many bugs left almost weekly from Slowpoke.

Other than that, what is there to say about it?
The real question is, will it be released before 1.4.6? And if not, will Elo be porting it over to 1.4.6? Will that cause problems? From what I've heard the current bugs being worked on are bugs that came from porting to 1.4.5...

JastyFTW

Jul 29, 2019
So, not trying to play devils advocate here, but what exactly is stopping people from updating their own games? Is it really because you are defending the integrity of FTB's desire to stay "up-to-date" or is it because you have a feeling of self-entitlement wherein you need the updates to be included in a launcher so you can get them with minimal effort on your behalf?

Like I said, not trying to instigate, just honestly confused about the unrest seen here.

bwillb

Jul 29, 2019
So, not trying to play devils advocate here, but what exactly is stopping people from updating their own games? Is it really because you are defending the integrity of FTB's desire to stay "up-to-date" or is it because you have a feeling of self-entitlement wherein you need the updates to be included in a launcher so you can get them with minimal effort on your behalf?

Like I said, not trying to instigate, just honestly confused about the unrest seen here.
Mostly for ease of server playerbases, I imagine.

ItharianEngineering

Jul 29, 2019
I think it is mostly people not wanting to update the mods themselves because of the effort required keeping them up to date and keeping the configs set up the correct way, not to mention how some servers probably won't update unless the pack itself does. Not trying to offend anyone if it sounds like I am! X3 It could also be the fact that FTB really does seem to be waiting for RP2 to update while it has no ETA, thus giving everyone mods that are behind. Which matters because the point of FTB is to make it so people can use a modpack without having to set up all the configs and worry about updating the mods manually all the time. I don't mind it so I just updated myself to 1.4.5 and combined the 2 packs, because I like having all the mods.

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
Many of us run servers where some of the players are not adept enough to handle updating on their own. For us, FTB updating is the only option.

Also, updating on your own is almost guaranteed to be incompatible with the update when it does arrive, requiring more work to get things back into shape.

JastyFTW

Jul 29, 2019
Fair enough. Like I said, I simply didn't understand what the fuss was about.

So what exactly are you guys missing right now? As in, If FTB was to update today, without RP2, What exactly would you be getting? I read "bugfixes" but what exactly?

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
Right off the top of my head, if you shift click items into or out of ender chests you crash. Every time. This is fixed.

As has been mentioned though, virtually every mod has had multiple updates since ftbs release versions, so we are talking enormous amounts of bug fixes.

Then theres the standardized configs. Many cant even start their servers until the standard configs come out so that they dont have major problems on update.

Several mods have also added more features, new blocks, etc.

akamanu

Jul 29, 2019
Ye my problem is mostly user side, i can udapte and change the ids nps, but try making my friends, wich are the server users, do the same without making the world end......

JastyFTW

Jul 29, 2019
I'd hate to say it but it would seem you need to inform any server user whom is clamoring for an update that they will have to either develop the competence to update their client, or wait for FTB to update. Right?
--
If you were Slowpoke101, what would matter more to you? Keeping your word to your good friend Eloraam, or releasing an update to appease the unnamed faceless? If FTB was a business and they were actually charging you guys for this package I would understand the need to please your customers. But unless I'm mistaken, it isn't a business. It's a group of friends, modders, and youtube personalities all promoting the distribution of this package out of the kindness of their hearts and possibly the chance at donations.

When it comes to an up-to-date ModPack/launcher FTB is the only game in town. They know it. And we all know it.

What real incentive do they have to "jump the gun" and update it without Eloraam? Do they stand to lose money? Will people stop playing FTB? Maybe you'll have different answers to these 3 questions, but I just personally cannot see any reason they would chose any number of us over themselves, it's just the nature of friends.

Kagbok

Jul 29, 2019
Actually with MultiMC you can generate a "config pack" that contains copies of the mod config files and version numbers that your users can download. You would need to provide them with direct download links so they get the right versions, but there's no need for your users to mess with config files. Direwolf did a spotlight on it when version 4 came out.

makeshiftwings

Jul 29, 2019

If everyone just stopped using FTB and installed their own mods like you want them to, then no one would be beta testing FTB. If you don't care about FTB, and think that people who want to use mod packs are just "self-entitled" and too stupid to install mods on their own, why are you even on the FTB forums?

Reactions: JastyFTW

JastyFTW

Jul 29, 2019
If everyone just stopped using FTB and installed their own mods like you want them to, then no one would be beta testing FTB. If you don't care about FTB, and think that people who want to use mod packs are just "self-entitled" and too stupid to install mods on their own, why are you even on the FTB forums?

I never said I wanted people to abandon FTB and update things on their own nor did I call anyone stupid, although your inferences are quite adorable.

What I was saying, as it apparently needs clarification, Is if people are bothered by their mods not being updated to 1.4.5 there are means for them to take action to resolve that issue. There is no course of action a user can perform on this forum to cause a forced update. So unlike a bug report, It is useless feedback from a beta tester to proclaim they want an updated beta. You will be given the version they want you to test when they want you to test it.

As for the one question you posed to me, the reasons for my joining this forum was to find a server in which to play on and to gather and share ideas about insightful mod-based creations. Thanks for asking although I am slightly reluctant to think your question was a sincere request for information but I wouldn't want to infer anything that wasn't explicitly said, that would be childish.

akamanu

Jul 29, 2019
I'd hate to say it but it would seem you need to inform any server user whom is clamoring for an update that they will have to either develop the competence to update their client, or wait for FTB to update. Right?
--
If you were Slowpoke101, what would matter more to you? Keeping your word to your good friend Eloraam, or releasing an update to appease the unnamed faceless? If FTB was a business and they were actually charging you guys for this package I would understand the need to please your customers. But unless I'm mistaken, it isn't a business. It's a group of friends, modders, and youtube personalities all promoting the distribution of this package out of the kindness of their hearts and possibly the chance at donations.

When it comes to an up-to-date ModPack/launcher FTB is the only game in town. They know it. And we all know it.

What real incentive do they have to "jump the gun" and update it without Eloraam? Do they stand to lose money? Will people stop playing FTB? Maybe you'll have different answers to these 3 questions, but I just personally cannot see any reason they would chose any number of us over themselves, it's just the nature of friends.

It's more of the fact of keeping the rep of the mod pack, keeping the promises you make to your users, remember that indirectly ppl make money out of ftb, so also that gets affected. As I stated on my first post on the thread, it seems to me that RP2 it's keeping the whole mod pack back, so the fate of 1 mod decides when ftb gets updated? Also if this is a beta pack, releasing more updates would be more beneficial to the testing process considering some of the stuff that ppl reported already has been fixed on a newer version of the mod?...

/Manu

makeshiftwings

Jul 29, 2019
I never said I wanted people to abandon FTB and update things on their own nor did I call anyone stupid, although your inferences are quite adorable.
You don't need to be a master of inference to figure out what this means:

"you have a feeling of self-entitlement wherein you need the updates to be included in a launcher so you can get them with minimal effort on your behalf"

Maybe I'm "inferring" incorrectly, but I would assume that means you think that anyone who wants FTB to update has a feeling of self-entitlement wherein they need the updates so they can get them with minimal effort. Call me crazy.

What I was saying, as it apparently needs clarification, Is if people are bothered by their mods not being updated to 1.4.5 there are means for them to take action to resolve that issue.
Yes, by not using FTB. You are saying that anyone who is hoping for FTB to update should just stop using FTB.

There is no course of action a user can perform on this forum to cause a forced update. So unlike a bug report, It is useless feedback from a beta tester to proclaim they want an updated beta. You will be given the version they want you to test when they want you to test it.
There's no course of action anyone can perform on any forum to force anyone to do anything. Forums are for sharing opinions, making suggestions, asking questions, and insulting each other while attempting to look morally superior.

As for the one question you posed to me, the reasons for my joining this forum was to find a server in which to play on and to gather and share ideas about insightful mod-based creations. Thanks for asking although I am slightly reluctant to think your question was a sincere request for information but I wouldn't want to infer anything that wasn't explicitly said, that would be childish.
Good luck! There are some good servers out there. You probably will want to avoid the FTB ones, since they might be full of self-entitled people who need updates with minimal effort, though.

JastyFTW

Jul 29, 2019
It's more of the fact of keeping the rep of the mod pack, keeping the promises you make to your users, remember that indirectly ppl make money out of ftb, so also that gets affected. As I stated on my first post on the thread, it seems to me that RP2 it's keeping the whole mod pack back, so the fate of 1 mob decides when ftb gets updated? Also if this is a beta pack, releasing more updates would be more beneficial to the testing process considering some of the stuff that ppl reported already has been fixed on a newer version of the mod?...

/Manu

I do hope that they address this and release an updated version, I'd rather RP2 be included as I miss it so. I don't think rep is really an issue as I can think of only one other Modpack which if I recall correctly, Is using a very outdated version of Minecraft.

Status
Not open for further replies.