Is there a "give up on RP" ETA?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Status
Not open for further replies.

makeshiftwings

Jul 29, 2019
The FTB authors have said before that they're not going to do any additional updates to the FTB pack and aren't going to create the Ultimate Pack until RedPower releases. That sort of made sense to me a month ago when it was "almost ready", but now I'm thinking it might not get finished until 1.5 or so. Does the FTB team have any sort of cutoff date where they will agree to update the pack to 1.4.5 even without RedPower? I feel like it will hurt the beta testing if you guys refuse to ever go past 1.4.2 or update any other mods for months just because you made a promise to RedPower... if everyone gets sick of waiting and just starts updating the mods on their own then people won't actually be beta testing your pack. Could you guys compromise and say that if RedPower isn't out by mid-January, you'll update the pack without it?

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
I'll be very surprised if it takes that long. Last thing heard was that only one bug was left to squash. Assuming Eloraam doesn't make a mess of things hunting that one bug down, I doubt it will take her until mid-January.

danny75

Jul 29, 2019
you won't get an answer to that question here. only speculation....and here goes...rp2 has 1 or 2 bugs left to squash. eloraam is working on them when real life isn't taking priority. it is hoped that in that time, ee3 and xycraft are also developed to a point where they can be included in the pack(s).

i hear that 1.5 is going through quite an upheavel in regards to redstone mechanics. i'm guessing here, but that could compromise some of the code in rp2...so i doubt ftb will be moving on without it. have patience....santa might just surprise you yet...

makeshiftwings

Jul 29, 2019
There's been "one or two" bugs for about a month. I don't really blame elo or anything; I know real life gets in the way or sometimes you just get sick of working on a project or dealing with annoying internet fans like us. ;)

But... I do think it's dumb if FTB decides to just wait forever if RP shows no signs of ever actually coming out. We could be waiting to fix "just one more bug" until 2014... I think it would be better to set a cutoff date at some point where they will agree to update the other mods; if they hang back for too long while Minecraft and all the other mods keep updating without them, they risk getting left behind just like this other modpack you may have heard about... :eek:

Reactions: Confidential1207

StarLiner

Jul 29, 2019
Two weeks ago there were four bugs, not a month.

Then there were 3, then two.

Redpower will have a release by the end of the month. My big question is: How long after RP2 might the pack be ready? But stop freaking out about a lack of news, news is coming, were getting an update on how many bugs left almost weekly from Slowpoke.

Other than that, what is there to say about it?

makeshiftwings

Jul 29, 2019
Two weeks ago there were four bugs, not a month.

Then there were 3, then two.

Redpower will have a release by the end of the month. My big question is: How long after RP2 might the pack be ready? But stop freaking out about a lack of news, news is coming, were getting an update on how many bugs left almost weekly from Slowpoke.

Other than that, what is there to say about it?
Ok, but if we don't get that update by the end of the month, you owe me a cookie.

Vovk

Jul 29, 2019
it's currently not slotted to be released until after the 21st. Asking about it won't make it release faster. Have patience. It will be done when it's done.

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
That was a joke post about the end of the world. It's possible that it will released sooner than that. It depends on how much Slowpoke was joking and whether there is any sort of release schedule Elo has at all.

danny75

Jul 29, 2019
as i said...it's all speculation, but let's not start another thread about the timeline of a rp2 release.

makeshiftwings

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe you guys should reread my post. I'm not asking when RP is coming out. I'm asking if FTB will update without RedPower if RP doesn't come out. For example, will we still be sitting at 1.4.2 in March just because Elo disappeared? Patience is nice sometimes, but sitting around being "patient" at 1.4.2 for a century isn't a good idea in a modpack that is supposed to be "always up to date".

makeshiftwings

Jul 29, 2019
i hear that 1.5 is going through quite an upheavel in regards to redstone mechanics. i'm guessing here, but that could compromise some of the code in rp2...so i doubt ftb will be moving on without it. have patience....santa might just surprise you yet...

That's a whole different problem that is going to come up... Whether or not we do get an RP release before 1.5, it sounds like 1.5 will then break everything in RP anyway, and will require a lot of work from an already-too-busy elo to start working again. Does that mean that FTB won't update to 1.5 for a few months? I guess that's the problem with a mod pack that wants to be "always up to date" but also wants to always include mods from some authors that are nearly guaranteed to never be up to date. Hmmm.

makeshiftwings

Jul 29, 2019
Eh, now I feel bad for opening the thread. Moderators feel free to delete it. I get the feeling that there is a lot of personal stuff going on behind the scenes and questions like this are probably hurting someone out there. I'm just trying to figure out when and how to update my server; no hard feelings.

Reactions: Marcel van Dongen

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
Obviously I don't know how much the coding will change, but from what they've told us about the intended Redstone mechanics changes... they don't sound like changes. It sounds more like they're going to add content that reacts dependent on the existing vanilla mechanic of Redstone Dust's limited power range, and will be detecting how far Redstone has gone from its last refresh for more than just the appearance. With any luck, Eloraam will only have to deal with the usual update problems plus working in some way to down shift the signal strength of her red wire so it can be used with the new vanilla devices. From the way it all looks to me, I think it will turn out that the vanilla redstone will wind up more compact for such purposes, giving people a reason to use both vanilla redstone and redwire.

danny75

Jul 29, 2019
Eh, now I feel bad for opening the thread. Moderators feel free to delete it. I get the feeling that there is a lot of personal stuff going on behind the scenes and questions like this are probably hurting someone out there. I'm just trying to figure out when and how to update my server; no hard feelings.

don't sweat it. i know what you're asking, but there are too many variables and hypotheticals to come up with a realistic answer. we don't know the decision making process behind the scenes, so we don't know whether any mod can hold progress 'ransom', and if so, for how long. Maybe we'll be stuck with 1.4.5 for a while, when rp2 finally gets released...and then a few months down the line, we'll get 1.5 with the vanilla changes factored in. i'm no coder, so haven't the foggiest how much the changes will impact current mods updated to 1.4.5

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
I have to agree with the OP that a cut-off would be nice.

At least twice before this latest bit we were told RP just had "A couple" of bugs left. 2 or 3 weeks later, a new version of MC would land and Elo would disappear again for awhile.

She is clearly overwhelmed atm, so we can't be sure how long these last 2 bugs will take to fix. It could hit tomorrow.

However, there's a minor update coming here pretty soon...and a major one next monthish. It's very possible we could be looking at the same situation that caused FTB to launch without RP in the first place.

I would say we should just see if there's an update this weekend. If not..it's time to set a date. I would think the day of the new patch should work, as it's very possibly going to cause new problems for RP. Remember... while the patch shouldn't break most mods, neither did 1.4.5. RP is way more complex than most mods...and therefore more likely to break.

I have my fingers crossed for this weekend, but I'm also not holding my breath:)

Keep up the great work Elo, we'll enjoy it when it's time.

Reactions: Confidential1207

akamanu

Jul 29, 2019
Holding the complete update of the modpack because 1 mod is not ready its not a wise move imo, if real life hitted elo and she is busy that is completly understanable but holding off the update of a complete mod pack for RP2 its way too much. The ppl on my server have been asking me why i havent updated all the mods manually and i keep asnwering cuz "the ftb update its coming soon (tm)" its been more than a month now......
RP2 shouldnt be holding the mod pack ransom, and dont get me wrong im waiting for it with the same eagerness as everyone else, but in my opinion (of course) if RP2 its not ready this weekend the FTB team should go ahead with the 1.4.5 update. RP2 its one mod, there are more than 25 mods in the pack.

/Manu

Status
Not open for further replies.