Is Rotarycraft stupidly difficult or am I the stupid one?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I know. I just never associate jet engines with tanks so I was kinda surprised. And I like aircraft way more than tanks :p

dothrom

Jul 29, 2019
*snip* *tear* *snip*

Yeah... I tried the "two engines" to 16 fans. It worked. It just took a 4x16 grid of Shaft junctions, bevel gears, and shafts. I'd post a screen of it if I hadn't recently deleted that world with gusto. I find the setup much more pleasing having 4 wind turbines powering 4 fans each. Though at least on v23 (monster 1.1.2) the shaft towers and huge bevel gear setup doesn't seem to be the most server friendly.

LothyZA

Jul 29, 2019
I must admit that at this point, I have lost track of who is angry with whom and who is responding to whom. This thread has degenerated rather severely, and I worry that the OP, if they return, will have a hard time continuing their discussion.

I stopped following this a while ago already. When did ppl become so prissy about gaming...

Its a game, u chose to write a mod that would be fun for u to play. The point ends there imo...

Its a great mod and im enjoying it, so in my books mission accomplished *insert achievement award*

LothyZA

Jul 29, 2019
Don't take it personal yall, Reika's brilliant.. just not so hot at the whole human interaction thing ;) For instance, he never mentioned anywhere that the improved turbine noise came from me (skip to 1:05)
Flip this is brilliant!!

now all we need is similar info when clicking the turbine. Good grief I love starting those bad boys up!

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Upon being disappointed about aircraft engines vs. tank engines:

As mentioned before, both are gas turbines. A gas turbine is a brayton cycle internal combustion engine with a large compressor for air intake. What you use it for doesn't matter so much for the purposes of calling it a gas turbine.

The interesting thing about these babies is that you can almost freely decide how you want the power output to happen. You can build a gas turbine that outputs just about all its power through a jet exhaust, reserving only just enough for shaft power to drive its own compressor. If you do that, you get a jet engine. However, you can also take a nearly identical gas turbine and build it so that it outputs almost all its power as shaft power, reserving only just enough "thrust" to push the exhaust out of the combustion chamber. You can then stick something on that rotating shaft, like a propeller. Suddenly, the same kind of engine powers both a propeller airplane (turboprop) and a jet airplane (turbojet), and even a hybrid between the two (turbofan). Is your mind blown yet? :p

And of course, instead of a propeller you can also stick an electricity generator on there, to create power for your city - or for a tank's electric motors.

Gas turbines are extremely awesome, useful and multipurpose devices and you should totally read up on all the things they can do. Heck, someone wants to build a millimeter sized one for on-person power production to recharge your phone on the go and stuff...

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Upon being disappointed about aircraft engines vs. tank engines:

As mentioned before, both are gas turbines. A gas turbine is a brayton cycle internal combustion engine with a large compressor for air intake. What you use it for doesn't matter so much for the purposes of calling it a gas turbine.

The interesting thing about these babies is that you can almost freely decide how you want the power output to happen. You can build a gas turbine that outputs just about all its power through a jet exhaust, reserving only just enough for shaft power to drive its own compressor. If you do that, you get a jet engine. However, you can also take a nearly identical gas turbine and build it so that it outputs almost all its power as shaft power, reserving only just enough "thrust" to push the exhaust out of the combustion chamber. You can then stick something on that rotating shaft, like a propeller. Suddenly, the same kind of engine powers both a propeller airplane (turboprop) and a jet airplane (turbojet), and even a hybrid between the two (turbofan). Is your mind blown yet? :p

And of course, instead of a propeller you can also stick an electricity generator on there, to create power for your city - or for a tank's electric motors.

Gas turbines are extremely awesome, useful and multipurpose devices and you should totally read up on all the things they can do. Heck, someone wants to build a millimeter sized one for on-person power production to recharge your phone on the go and stuff...
For those who TL;DR'ed (which you really should not have):
blog-0167655001385015822.jpg

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
If my memory is correct (which it is more often than not where tanks are concerned), the concept of using gas turbines from aircraft in armoured vehicles started when the makers of the Panther II tank in WW2 brought in a dude from Heinkel's jet engine research program to sort them out with a gas turbine.

And as the Panther II was more-or-less the latewar/early-postwar benchmark even though the project was never completed, the idea kinda stuck when the first postwar MBT designs were produced.

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
I do know about gas turbines and what can they power, and I know that M1 is powered by one of those. My "disappointment" was simply the fact that I like aircraft, but not tanks. :p
Also, RoC gas turbine looks more like a turbofan, though it's obviously a turboshaft :p

Actually, I was kinda interested because tank can be more difficult to power via jet engine, but it seems like the transmission of the M1 is nothing special.
Another interesting thing about that Honeywell is that it's stated that it eats diesel fuel and gasoline. (The latter seems questionable for me, though)

Also, jetboats (using a modified heli engine, AFAIR):

That guy has a lot of interesting videos about jet engines, too

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I do know about gas turbines and what can they power, and I know that M1 is powered by one of those. My "disappointment" was simply the fact that I like aircraft, but not tanks. :p
Also, RoC gas turbine looks more like a turbofan, though it's obviously a turboshaft :p

Actually, I was kinda interested because tank can be more difficult to power via jet engine, but it seems like the transmission of the M1 is nothing special.
Another interesting thing about that Honeywell is that it's stated that it eats diesel fuel and gasoline. (The latter seems questionable for me, though)

Also, jetboats (using a modified heli engine, AFAIR):

That guy has a lot of interesting videos about jet engines, too
Am I the only one who thinks it takes a special kind of crazy to be willing to make, use, and ride in homemade turbomachinery?

Reactions: Padfoote

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
It's not really a "homemade" turbomachinery. They maintain and repair old engines, including aircraft ones - his video includes a lot of J79 stuff and its industrial versions. For boats they use some sort of helicopter engine (GE T58) with power turbine

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
It's not really a "homemade" turbomachinery. They maintain and repair old engines, including aircraft ones - his video includes a lot of J79 stuff and its industrial versions. For boats they use some sort of helicopter engine (GE T58) with power turbine
Maybe I have seen too many people of people working on jet engines made of soup cans, and then standing around while revving the thing to max power without any safety gear. :confused:

Shevron

Aug 12, 2013
Maybe I have seen too many people of people working on jet engines made of soup cans, and then standing around while revving the thing to max power without any safety gear. :confused:
Hahaha .. I'd pay to watch that.

... from a safe distance of course. I find the sound of jet engines mesmerising.

eric167

Jul 29, 2019
Make Magazine had an article on a guys propane powered, homebuilt jet engine, and since the draw rate was high enough to drop the line/bottle temperature below freezing (which clogged the line) due to the rapid liquid-gas transition and expansion of the propane in the 20lb tank, he stuck the tank in a plastic bin full of water to keep it warm enough. then he decided since he now had a tub of cold water, why not stick beers in it?

tada, jet powered beer cooler.