Is Rotarycraft stupidly difficult or am I the stupid one?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
I am angry at you a bit, Reika, and some of your fans angry at me. Everything else is the same as before.

kilteroff

Jul 29, 2019
Don't take it personal yall, Reika's brilliant.. just not so hot at the whole human interaction thing ;) For instance, he never mentioned anywhere that the improved turbine noise came from me (skip to 1:05)

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Don't take it personal yall, Reika's brilliant.. just not so hot at the whole human interaction thing ;) For instance, he never mentioned anywhere that the improved turbine noise came from me (skip to 1:05)
I believe I did...somewhere....
EDIT:
Upon listening to the clip, I can tell I actually used a different sound (of the same sort of thing), as your recording sounded somewhat muffled and had frequent noises unrelated to the engine. That is probably why. You still do get credit for giving me the idea.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Upon listening to the clip, I can tell I actually used a different sound (of the same sort of thing), as your recording sounded somewhat muffled and had frequent noises unrelated to the engine. That is probably why. You still do get credit for giving me the idea.
Once you hear it you cannot unhear it

Shevron

Aug 12, 2013
I will steal the title, and use it for myself in this case ... "Is Rotarycraft stupidly difficult or am I the stupid one?"

I have just spent literally 4 hours, trying to use junctions in split mode, to power 9 fans using 2 x Steam engines.

Now I may not be brilliant on math, but the numbers tally up for me, that 2 steam engines running, should provide enough power to split between all of the fans to blow canola off a 9x9 field.

I cannot figure out how the juntion bend vs inline thing works. I thought I did, but clearly I'm in the wrong here. Mandatory screenies to know what I'm talking about:

ZRqiM40.png

04fqYCh.png

XY7Kzne.png

How the @#£$%!!!! should I configure this trap to split? I get 2 fans blowing to kingdom come, then the 3 absolutely dead - Or get 2 fans blowing and the middle one dead. I cannot understand what's happening, and believe me I have tried.

It's frustrating me to hell, and I'm inches away from giving up completely.

Just as a disclaimer, all junctions are in split mode, and input/output is rotated correctly.

JoeDolca

Jul 29, 2019
I will steal the title, and use it for myself in this case ... "Is Rotarycraft stupidly difficult or am I the stupid one?"

I have just spent literally 4 hours, trying to use junctions in split mode, to power 9 fans using 2 x Steam engines.

Now I may not be brilliant on math, but the numbers tally up for me, that 2 steam engines running, should provide enough power to split between all of the fans to blow canola off a 9x9 field.

I cannot figure out how the juntion bend vs inline thing works. I thought I did, but clearly I'm in the wrong here. Mandatory screenies to know what I'm talking about:

ZRqiM40.png

04fqYCh.png

XY7Kzne.png

How the @#£$%!!!! should I configure this trap to split? I get 2 fans blowing to kingdom come, then the 3 absolutely dead - Or get 2 fans blowing and the middle one dead. I cannot understand what's happening, and believe me I have tried.

It's frustrating me to hell, and I'm inches away from giving up completely.

Just as a disclaimer, all junctions are in split mode, and input/output is rotated correctly.

Too many splits. The torque probably turned to 0 since you divided it so many times, making the wattage 0. Can't really operate a fan without the most minimum of torques. Steam engines are cheap and easy to set up, and you don't really need a diamond gearbox to manage 9 blocks of fanning, so why not make one steam engine for each row?

Tylor

Nov 24, 2012
Gear junctions are probably least game-mechanically appealing block in mod. They look simple, but don't work as you'd expect from knowledge of real-life mechanics. You have to do a lot of right-clicking to adjust them right, and then SHIFT right click and adjust split ratios.

If you want equal split, try Shaft Power Bus.

Last edited:

Shevron

Aug 12, 2013
Gear junctions are probably least game-mechanically appealing block in mod. They look simple, but don't work as you'd expect from knowledge of real-life mechanics. You have to do a lot of right-clicking to adjust them right, and then SHIFT right click and adjust split ratios.

If you want equal split, try Shaft Power Bus.

Ah .. thanks I'll try that. If that fails, I'll go for the steam engine per fan approach. :D

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019
Ah .. thanks I'll try that. If that fails, I'll go for the steam engine per fan approach. :D
You need to have an even number of fans to use a setup like that. You need to combine them in pairs with one shaft junction and one bevel gear for each pair. So 8 fans makes 4 pairs with a junction and bevel on each to combine them. You then need to combine those 4 into 2 with shaft junctions and bevel gears again. Now you only have 2 and you combine them again. This is the only way to equally split power with shaft junctions. You just combine pairs until you end up with one input. Here is a picture of what I mean. Each color line shows a connected pair that are splitting power 50/50. This is how you get equal power to each output from a single input without requiring lubricant. A shaft bus controller can also split power, but requires lube. It is easily expandable. In this pic, power is fed up from underground through the bottom left bevel gear.

6R5v3N0.png

Last edited: