Is OP too OP?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Macerators are OP for making it possible to get two ingots out of one ore. :p

No furnaces are OP for letting you turn ore into ingots.

That it the next big mod will be TradeCraft where you can not craft anything and have to get all your stuff via trading with villagers.

RetroGamer1224

Jul 29, 2019
I am really tempted on making a map or something where the player spawns on a block of dirt surrounded by ocean for over 5,000 blocks in all directions with half health, hunger and hunger decays at 200% rate.

EDIT: Of course someone will scream GregTech did it and we all shake our heads.

Reactions: ApSciLiara

Enigmius1

Jul 29, 2019
No furnaces are OP for letting you turn ore into ingots.

That it the next big mod will be TradeCraft where you can not craft anything and have to get all your stuff via trading with villagers.

I just finished a video editorial on this very topic. It includes not only discussion on the topic of OP-ness, but also features the full time-lapse build of a hardmode cobblestone furnace w/ explanation of use.

Reactions: jumpfight5

Exedra

Jul 29, 2019
I just finished a video editorial on this very topic. It includes not only discussion on the topic of OP-ness, but also features the full time-lapse build of a hardmode cobblestone furnace w/ explanation of use.

I found this really interesting. Good job.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019

you sir have earned yourself a subscriber :) and don't worry, I'll never tell you what to do with your Oh-Penis ;)

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019

For the sake of the discution, let me answer you.

You say that you respect them for saying "it's my vision". Well, you are a good consumer, because most of the players (myself included, of course) will always be saying that it would be better like this, or that this should be like that.

The mod you are talking about (do we really need to hide the name?) does add a lot of things that are his vision.
The changes he made to IC2 first, and other mods afterward are also his vision.
The thing is that he understood that not everyone likes or wants to share his vision about how it should be, and he decided to add a way for people to tinker with bits of the mod that they don't like so much, so that they can have the maximum amount of enjoyment out off it.

The only thing really "wrong" with it is that the Mindcrack community decided to have it, with the "hard mode", because that is how they decided they wanted to play the game. (Ok, some/most of them are complaining about it, but not so much that they want to remove it)

And people playing the pack started to take sides as for whether or not that mod should be kept, both sides being defensives and it was soon more about personal attacks than a discussion on what each feature could be set to in order to make the great majority enjoy the game.
You need to note that most people don't ever come to this forum too, and mostly people being discontent about something (bug or something else) come, while the rest is busy playing.

It should also be noted that the FTB pack is primarily meant to be used in order to play the challenge map(s) that they release, or at least that is what it started at.
As such, they configure each mod as they see fit for their map.

I am starting to get really tired of the whole "It's only grind!" versus "At least, it keeps me playing for more than a week, and I enjoy that". It leads nowhere, and people that take it to the extreme are only adding oil to that giant flame war.
It has become so big in here that any time a mod update changes a recipe, people start by flaming on greg, even when it has nothing to do with him at all.

If you dislike the "you can change the config", I could also point out an other one for you: You are not forced to play this pack, or any pack for that matter.
It is really easy to install mods, and update them. MultiMC even pushes it one more step forward by letting you have as many instances as your computer can handle.

So let me sum my opinion for you. If you do not like what the FTB team does with their pack, why are you using your time in endless and void flame wars, when you could enjoy the same time by either doing something else, or playing differently?
As always, it is only an opinion, and might very well sound quite offensive to people that do not agree with me, but this whole flame war really needs to be put out, and taunts like this videos are really not helping with the discussion, it's just an other media to state your opinion, based not just on facts, but also your reflection on those facts based on your prior opinion.

EDIT:
Funny how it goes, after rewatching your video two more times, I do agree with you with most of your points, but I still do not quite agree with the final point.

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
What is op is Enigmus' cobblestone furnace. That whole build should have been made from the HPOS (Holy Planks of Sengir--whatelse? Heavy Poop Owned Shoop)

Reactions: ApSciLiara

Saice

Jul 29, 2019

I'll have to watch it when I get a moment can not do that here at work.