Is MC 1.7 a stinker ?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Staying on 1.6, or moving to 1.7 ?

• Staying on MC 1.6

Votes: 16 36.4%
  • Moving to MC 1.7

Votes: 24 54.5%
  • Happy with MC 1.5 or previous

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Don't care / haven't thought about it

Votes: 3 6.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
I'm happy with 1.6 until such time as everything settles down.

Have FTB Monster, a cup of tea and slippers, I can wait.

dothrom

Jul 29, 2019
Why am I now picturing malicious_bloke in a dim office, big oak desk, high backed chair, with bunny slippers?

Quesenek

Jul 29, 2019
With fastcraft from Player, the performance issues are about non-existent. Like I said in another thread with the chunkloading issues aside(Fixed thanks to Player) 1.7 gives me better FPS and overall performance both Client and Server side. Along with the performance, upgrading to 1.7 allows you to stay current with the mods which in the case of AE2 are completely different.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
I've been playing 1.7.10 for the past 2 months (BevoLJ's Tech pack), I wont go back to 1.6.4 unless the pack dies which I can't see happening. Yes there are problems with 1.7.10 but I'll put up with them until 1.8 comes.

I tried Players Fastcraft but on my high spec PC it didn't help and caused me to crash several times in a single hour or two. I removed FastCraft and the crashes stopped.

Biggest issues with 1.7.10 are 3 fold:

1 This IMO is the biggest pain in the ass, you travel too fast by flight (like just a fraction faster than running) and the world doesn't render, it's not that the chunks don't load, they are loading other wise you'd see a black strip on the map, it just doesn't render. That is something everyone I've spoke to is coming across, it's fine if you're stood still working around your house/base but go travelling and meh it's gonna be tough. I fly by map most of the time with the Simply Jetpacks Resonant JP as it's the only way to see where you're going. I have a feeling render distance isn't working correctly when you're up in the air, it seems fine(ish) on the ground.

2 Issues with mods - ATM some mods are not stable at all, development of big issues seems slow to be fixed and there are quite a few issues with mod inter-compatibility (mainly API conflicts it seems).

3 New chunk genning, this is not so much of a problem if you're running cauldron, but good luck launching a new public open server without it. I think a lot of 1.7.10 public/open servers will be pre-genned worlds with world borders.

But those problems aside, there's a lot of new modded content in 1.7.10, enough to put up with the pain above and still thoroughly enjoy it.

We've done a lot of testing and bug reporting and a ton of issues have been fixed but there's still a fair way to go.

Last edited:

Quesenek

Jul 29, 2019
I've been playing 1.7.10 for the past 2 months (BevoLJ's Tech pack), I wont go back to 1.6.4 unless the pack dies which I can't see happening. Yes there are problems with 1.7.10 but I'll put up with them until 1.8 comes.

I tried Players Fastcraft but on my high spec PC it didn't help and caused me to crash several times in a single hour or two. I removed FastCraft and the crashes stopped.

Biggest issues with 1.7.10 are 3 fold:

1 This IMO is the biggest pain in the ass, you travel too fast by flight (like just a fraction faster than running) and the world doesn't render, it's not that the chunks don't load, they are loading other wise you'd see a black strip on the map, it just doesn't render. That is something everyone I've spoke to is coming across, it's fine if you're stood still working around your house/base but go travelling and meh it's gonna be tough. I fly by map most of the time with the Simply Jetpacks Resonant JP as it's the only way to see where you're going. I have a feeling render distance isn't working correctly when you're up in the air, it seems fine(ish) on the ground.

2 Issues with mods - ATM some mods are not stable at all, development of big issues seems slow to be fixed and there are quite a few issues with mod inter-compatibility (mainly API conflicts it seems).

3 New chunk genning, this is not so much of a problem if you're running cauldron, but good luck launching a new public open server without it. I think a lot of 1.7.10 public/open servers will be pre-genned worlds with world borders.

But those problems aside, there's a lot of new modded content in 1.7.10, enough to put up with the pain above and still thoroughly enjoy it.

We've done a lot of testing and bug reporting and a ton of issues have been fixed but there's still a fair way to go.
That was a known bug by Player he fixed the crashing in 1.5 i believe.
Overall if you have a monster of a computer like sevadus on twitch for example I don't think you'll see any performance increase from minecraft or anything to help increase performance in minecraft.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I love some of the new mods and mod features in 1.7 but for me 1.7 is just too buggy and unstable and not really playable for me, as I get annoyed each time the game freezes or can't catch up
my other problem is that I've gotten kind of tired of 1.6 I still try to play it, but I don't enjoy it as much as I did before

ofcourse I'm hoping 1.8 won't take too long and mods quickly update to it, but seeing how much work mod developers have already spend on updating to 1.7 I wouldn't be surprised if they're kind of burned out when 1.8 comes out

Shevron

Aug 12, 2013
I love some of the new mods and mod features in 1.7 but for me 1.7 is just too buggy and unstable and not really playable for me, as I get annoyed each time the game freezes or can't catch up
my other problem is that I've gotten kind of tired of 1.6 I still try to play it, but I don't enjoy it as much as I did before

ofcourse I'm hoping 1.8 won't take too long and mods quickly update to it, but seeing how much work mod developers have already spend on updating to 1.7 I wouldn't be surprised if they're kind of burned out when 1.8 comes out
Yeah but you have to keep in mind that they had to rewrite a lot of code due to the huge changes from 1.6 to 1.7.

Hopefully 1.7 to 1.8 won't be that dramatic.

Reactions: Hambeau

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Working on a pack that is currently at 115 mods, since it's still all just testing that things appear to work, can't really say how stable it is long term. But then, most of those mods are alphas/betas so stability should not be something to expect.
FastCraft has been a big help to chunk rendering, although I find the chunk rendering odd (both with and without it), I watch chunks (unrender/derender?) and then render again, and those chunks are anywhere from right near me to far away.
But I think 1.7.10 will be more restricted to higher spec machines for the best performance. It's iffy if 1.8 will solve this or not. It may be down to the community to build more improvements upon whatever mojang have done, but that won't be till late 2015 most likely.

Content wise, theres a lot of new stuff, plus a lot of fixes to 1.6.4 mod bugs.

It'll be a long time before 1.7.10 is anywhere near classed as "stable", but you can see the forge team and other modders are working hard on trying to resolve all the issues, as a result, lots of mod updates flying around, which causes other mods to crash.

I just wish modders would stop rushing to the latest version of MC. Really, the modded scene will always be 1 version behind vanilla. Wait for vanilla to get stablised (since things get broken and fixed each snapshot) before modding the hell out of it.

Reactions: PierceSG

WuffleFluffy

Jul 29, 2019
I'm very happy with the current DW20 pack, i've learned a lot in the last several months following DireWolf, still so many mods in this pack to play with though!

To me it's about the experience for myself and others on my server, the version of minecraft is not really important.
Until there's an absolutely compelling reason to upgrade to 1.7, I will be happy with 1.6.

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
Onwards and upwards. Forever forward with little to no regret. Further challenges await and new ideas hold great promise.

I've been tracking the updated mods in my own modpack (in my permissions list). So far almost all the mods are updated, which is great. But a couple key mods that the pack is centered around aren't yet. It's really hard to make the call on building a new yet similar pack in new minecraft versions versus holding out for a mod that's still in development. I'm highly looking forward to the performance improvements in vanilla 1.8 simply because it'll mean that computer crushing modpacks will be more playable to a wider audience.