is it just me...?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I've been having this weird problem for a while now. if I play modded minecraft through the vanilla launcher, all is pretty well, except for ofcourse the problems between optifine and some other mods.

BUT if I use MultiMC, I get quite some bad lagg. when I use optifine with modded minecraft through MultiMC5, the game pretty much becomes unplayable. if I remove optifine the fps becomes better, but still nowhere near playable.

now with the FTB launcher and new modpacks I've been having similar problems as with MultiMC5. I've got optifine C8 working with a fix, but the game is still quite laggy. I had to scrap alot of mods to make the fps more playable. I'm already using the JVM arguments posted in this topic to improve my FPS, but it still doesn't seem to be doing enough http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/jvm-arguments-for-modded-minecraft-updated-11-11-13.28994/

I'm playing on a laptop, and ofcourse I know a laptop is not as good as a computer when it comes to playing, but it's not like I've a bad laptop. I also have the right java installed, and up to date and all. but what really seems weird for me is that I didn't really have these problems in 1.5
it seems to be something that happens for me in 1.6 and it really makes me confused how much problems I have when I try to use MultiMC5, while others don't really seem to have these problems.

so that's why this topic, wondering if there are others with similar problems. I know I could post this in tech support, but since it also concerns MultiMC5 I thought that that wouldn't be the right choice for posting.

Tristam Izumi

Jul 29, 2019
In regards to optifine, it has never improved my FPS quality (in fact, it usually drops me to single digits), so I tend to ignore it.

In regards to 3rd party launchers vs. the official launcher, if there's a difference in FPS for me, I really haven't noticed one. Which version of MMC5 do you have? I did have some issues with Forge with 5.0.0.0, but 5.0.0.3 fixed that for me.

Virgoddess

Jul 29, 2019
I had really, really bad lag with the new DW20 pack. I removed Ars Magica (sad) and it really helped.

The "magic forest" for TC4 kills me, too.

I'm also on a laptop, but a decent one.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
In regards to optifine, it has never improved my FPS quality (in fact, it usually drops me to single digits), so I tend to ignore it.

In regards to 3rd party launchers vs. the official launcher, if there's a difference in FPS for me, I really haven't noticed one. Which version of MMC5 do you have? I did have some issues with Forge with 5.0.0.0, but 5.0.0.3 fixed that for me.

I've downloaded the newest version from IRC, but it happens with both the old and new versions.
but Optifine often really helps me, though I do often configure it so the game runs as light as possible. changing things like viewing distance to normal, fast gameplay, 40FPS, things like that

I had really, really bad lag with the new DW20 pack. I removed Ars Magica (sad) and it really helped.

it's so random what I find very weird. one person can have a problem with mod "x" while the other has all the problems with mod "y"

Tristam Izumi

Jul 29, 2019

Some of AM2's mobs' AIs do evil things to your CPU. Hecates (or whatever they're called) are one of the big culprits.

TC4's Magical Forest biome can kill FPS at first because many of the leaves it generates are (supposedly) too far from a log, so they deteriorate. Since this happens across an entire biome, it does horrible things to your CPU.

Reactions: RedBoss

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Some of AM2's mobs' AIs do evil things to your CPU. Hecates (or whatever they're called) are one of the big culprits.

TC4's Magical Forest biome can kill FPS at first because many of the leaves it generates are (supposedly) too far from a log, so they deteriorate. Since this happens across an entire biome, it does horrible things to your CPU.

ugh, one more reason to hate hecates. you've no idea how often those little biggers killed me so far...

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
I suspected this. I started having serious lag recently and i thought it was zombie pathing lag. I get zombies pathing near my animal pens which are 30 blocks away. I realized it had to be the hecates once I noticed that they drop zombie heads. Zombie pathing is known for lag in 1.6 and a mob using any of that data would be a culprit as well.

Besides that Ars2 mobs kinda spawn based on their own rules and mess up other dimensions. I've been disabling it with each ResRise update.

Reactions: Yusunoha

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019

That's what common wisdom might say, yes. But here's the thing: I recently did a full JVM profiling of my server, where it shows me exactly what function consumes exactly how much ms of world tick. It's like Opis, except is shows everything, not just tile entities (which would be just a small subset). After wading through the hundreds upon hundreds of entries and translating the obfuscated function names with the help of MCP, I noticed something really weird: about 5% of my total world tick is being taken up by thaumcraft.common.blocks.BlockMagicalLeaves calling the block update function and asking it whether it's currently day or night. Constantly. And note that while profiling, no magical forest was anywhere within chunk load distance. The only thing I had were a greatwood tree or two, which had already been standing there untouched for weeks worth of playtime.

And then there's the brainy zombie spawning code taking up another 20% (yes, you read that right) of the world tick just spam-calling ATG chunk managing functions with no clear purpose, something no other creature spawning code does at all, vanilla or otherwise.

Thaumcraft is really doing some funky things in the current version - for me, it's probably the single largest source of lag on the server.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I suspected this. I started having serious lag recently and i thought it was zombie pathing lag. I get zombies pathing near my animal pens which are 30 blocks away. I realized it had to be the hecates once I noticed that they drop zombie heads. Zombie pathing is known for lag in 1.6 and a mob using any of that data would be a culprit as well.

Besides that Ars2 mobs kinda spawn based on their own rules and mess up other dimensions. I've been disabling it with each ResRise update.

yea, the hecates are based on the zombie codes. I found that out because I had mob amputation/dismemberment installed and they died like how zombies died... but to be honest, I hate all AM2 mobs, there's not a single one that I like

holy mother of f-bombs, that's really messed up... can one mob really cause so much problems?
and I can understand if the silverwood tree would be causing problems with all the glitterings and such, but greatwood trees?

EDIT: ok... so I took my Direwolf pack from the FTB launcher and put it in the vanilla folders and loaded it up with the vanilla launcher... with the FTB launcher I could barely hit 30FPS, with the vanilla launcher I'm at a steady 120-150FPS.... oooooooooooooooooookkkkkkkkkkkkkkk, what am I missing here?

Last edited:
Reactions: RedBoss

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
Isn't multimc 5 in heavy development?
Yup it is but I've been using it for the last couple of months and have had no major issues whatsoever. (minor niggles sure, it forgets some settings, certain interface actions are "clunky" but nothing that makes it unusable)

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012

I don't know if this would help, but you could try adding in Zombie Awareness mod. This overhauls the AI of zombies (among other things) and improves path finding (if you make a hole, they will find it and swarm you). Used it in 1.5 and now in 1.6 in my omega dawn pack. We can have massive hordes of zombies, and no problems with tick rate (from mobs). So indirectly this may fix the Hecates.
ZA can be configured to not have hordes and other settings.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Isn't multimc 5 in heavy development?

yea it is, but it seems my lagg problems isn't only caused by MultiMC5, I've the same with the FTB launcher.
both give me terrible lag when playing modded minecraft, but when I load the exact same instance through the vanilla launcher, I get an fps around the 120-150fps... while I barely hit the 30fps with MultiMC/FTB Launcher...

xXShadowOo

Jul 29, 2019
I have a similar problem with FTB Launcher and MultiMC, my FPS seems to drop to 0 at random intervals causing the game to freeze for a bit then back up to about 60 FPS. That FPS drop also happens to me when I try to open my inventory or any other chest.
I didn't test it on the minecraft launcher but I'll give it a shot and see if that makes any difference.

xXShadowOo

Jul 29, 2019
Just tested it with the minecraft launcher without optifine and the inventory FPS freeze is gone not the random drop though.
I'll try it with optifine hopefully it goes well ._.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
yea it is, but it seems my lagg problems isn't only caused by MultiMC5, I've the same with the FTB launcher.
both give me terrible lag when playing modded minecraft, but when I load the exact same instance through the vanilla launcher, I get an fps around the 120-150fps... while I barely hit the 30fps with MultiMC/FTB Launcher...
Some launchers automatically add JVM settings. I've discovered that these settings kill my FPS. I now stick with the Vanilla Launcher. Easy enough to use and create instances.

killrbladez

Jul 29, 2019
ugh, one more reason to hate hecates. you've no idea how often those little biggers killed me so far...
That's why I turn into a bat before night time if I'm exploring.
The main source of lag for me comes from Taint biome though.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Some launchers automatically add JVM settings. I've discovered that these settings kill my FPS. I now stick with the Vanilla Launcher. Easy enough to use and create instances.

hmm, that could explain the problems I have. I've tried adding some JVM arguments myself to improve fps, but it did not do alot for me.

Can't get optifine to work keeps crashing, oh well >.>

you can try the optifine fix that's posted in the MCF shaders topic with optifine, with that fix I'm able to load optifine C8 with no problems

That's why I turn into a bat before night time if I'm exploring.
The main source of lag for me comes from Taint biome though.

Morph is a bit... I'm only really using it if I need to for example crawl through a 1x1 area, or need to mine underwater and such, for the rest I try to avoid it as it takes the need of certain items from other mods away